ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Where does Super Bowl LV’s QB matchup rank all-time?

HailToPitt725

Head Coach
May 16, 2016
IMO, this may go down as a legendary QB matchup between the greatest QB of all time and the next challenger to that title.

Makes you wonder, where does this Super Bowl’s QB matchup rank all-time? Off the top of my head, there’s been Marino/Montana, Elway/Montana, Elway/Favre, and Manning/Brees. IMO, Super Bowl XXXII’s matchup comes the closest to this because it was an all time great in his final years (Elway) against the defending champion that was beginning his ascent to legendary status (Favre).

Any others that I missed? Perhaps Brady/Wilson is looked at in a similar fashion one day? What say you?

On reputation, it's ranked high. On current skill lever, not so much.
yep, if you are one who considers 4,633 passing yards and 40 tds prior to three postseason road wins not so much in the current skill level category....

Last edited:
Reactions: FireballZ
IMO, this may go down as a legendary QB matchup between the greatest QB of all time and the next challenger to that title.

Makes you wonder, where does this Super Bowl’s QB matchup rank all-time? Off the top of my head, there’s been Marino/Montana, Elway/Montana, Elway/Favre, and Manning/Brees. IMO, Super Bowl XXXII’s matchup comes the closest to this because it was an all time great in his final years (Elway) against the defending champion that was beginning his ascent to legendary status (Favre).

Any others that I missed? Perhaps Brady/Wilson is looked at in a similar fashion one day? What say you?
Bradshaw/Staubach? Twice!

Favre/Elway is up there given how great that game was. I will say though that the game was the end of Favre's peak. He blew a lot of playoff games afterwards until he landed with the Vikings.

Reactions: HailToPitt725

Len Dawson/Joe Kapp... no further input needed as I think this is the definitive matchup of all time greats..

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Bradshaw/Staubach? Twice!
I came really close to including them, and you wouldn’t be wrong if you didn’t, but I hesitated because neither of them have an argument to being the greatest of all time. Seems like they normally fall in that next tier, 5-15.

However, I think the argument could be made that they had a case for that title at the time and their games certainly were memorable.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT