ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Who Remembers the Sparrow?

mlvnsmly

Redshirt
Apr 13, 2012
Crazy story. Found alive in Puerto Rico after missing over 30 years. This lady absolutely terrified me outside the Civic Arena when I was little haha.

Crazy story. Found alive in Puerto Rico after missing over 30 years. This lady absolutely terrified me outside the Civic Arena when I was little haha.

Was she the lady that was also known as "3 Day Mary"? She'd come up to you and preach and say something about in 3 days God is going to destroy the world?

Reactions: zookeeper2000
Crazy story. Imagine her poor husband. His line about no longer being a suspect.

Not to derail, but does anyone remember the running lady from downtown? Been working from home for a while now so don’t know if she’s still around.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
I guess she got tired of being wrong about the world ending in 3 days and left for PR.

Crazy story. Imagine her poor husband. His line about no longer being a suspect.

Not to derail, but does anyone remember the running lady from downtown? Been working from home for a while now so don’t know if she’s still around.

Had a similar story in my town about a woman who vanished. Turned up 25 years later living on the streets in Key West. Apparently she just had a mental breakdown. Guy had been under some level of suspicion the whole time.

When my sis was at Pitt, they called her "the Swatch Woman."

I just felt bad for her as I assumed she was mentally ill and needed help.

I originally thought you were referring to the Mary Russell novel about the Vatican and space exploration. It was a hit on NPR when it came out. Not a bad read, but a cautionary tale about the presumed benevolence of other sentient creatures far from home.

Was she the lady that was also known as "3 Day Mary"? She'd come up to you and preach and say something about in 3 days God is going to destroy the world?

She used to stand on the staircase between the lower and upper lots at the Civic Arena after Penguins games giving her "the world is going to end in three days" spiel. At some point in time, every time we'd walk past her we'd start making comments about how she had told us four days ago that the world was ending in three days.

Reactions: noelr

She freaked me out and I wasn’t little. 30 years later I’m near certain I’d still have the same reaction.

Yours and @Joe the Panther Fan comments brought back some creepy memories. I used to go to the igloo frequently and saw her almost without fail.

Sad story. The woman had schizophrenia diagnosis. Knowing schizophrenics that is a mild risk. The husband never married and probably struggled with his wife bugging out while simultaneously being a suspect in her disappearance. Hope they both find peace.

I distinctly recall her saying "go inside for three days." If the world was ending, it didn't seem that being inside would offer much help.

There also was a guy downtown who wore the "Coyne Sucks" sandwich board. Obituary from 1999: http://old.post-gazette.com/regionstate/19990611lansberry9.asp

I remember the Lyndon Larouche people from my days at Pitt -- they handed out some QAnon type newspaper before there was an internet.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT