ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Who should light torch in LA?

Pitt666

Scholarship
Feb 19, 2024
So who gets the honor? Some that come to mind could be Kerri Strung, Carl Lewis (though he was just involved in Paris), Phelps/Spitz, etc. it could be cool to have the dream team involved, especially magic Johnson given LA ties. But seriously who will do it?

I would love it to be one of the 1984 Olympic stars. Mary Lou Retton has had health problems so hopefully she is around in 4 years. She was the face of those Olympics as I remember it as an 8-year old.

If not Carl Lewis, or even MJ.

Reactions: Mikefln
Someone from 1984 like Carl lewis or Mary Lou, as that’s the last time the Olympics have been relevant. Will anyone left who still cares care in 4 years?

I’d be in even more favor of Lewis if he sings the national anthem.

What is Karch Karily up too? I’d be in favor of him too. :).

So who gets the honor? Some that come to mind could be Kerri Strung, Carl Lewis (though he was just involved in Paris), Phelps/Spitz, etc. it could be cool to have the dream team involved, especially magic Johnson given LA ties. But seriously who will do it?
Roger Kingdom

Actually, he's coaching the women's VB team against China as I type this.
I love it! Ok, how about Kent Steffes? I actually knew Karch was still coaching but I don’t think Steffes is busy. Lol.

I hope MLB does the right thing and takes a break during the Olympics and allows its players to play. I know we have the World Baseball Classic but that's during Spring Training at a weird time. This is a once every 30 or so years Summer Olympics in the US. They should make the exception. Start the MLB season a week early and maybe have the All-Star Game maybe on the Saturday or Sunday evening of the Gold Medal game. Gold Medal game at 3PM Eastern at Dodger Stadium. All-Star Game at 8PM in a non-MLB city (so to not penalize the MLB team which gets to host a game with a lot of missing stars) like maybe Omaha.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
I hope MLB does the right thing and takes a break during the Olympics and allows its players to play. I know we have the World Baseball Classic but that's during Spring Training at a weird time. This is a once every 30 or so years Summer Olympics in the US. They should make the exception. Start the MLB season a week early and maybe have the All-Star Game maybe on the Saturday or Sunday evening of the Gold Medal game. Gold Medal game at 3PM Eastern at Dodger Stadium. All-Star Game at 8PM in a non-MLB city (so to not penalize the MLB team which gets to host a game with a lot of missing stars) like maybe Omaha.
Baseball was dropped from the Olympics. Suppose they could bring it back.

Baseball was dropped from the Olympics. Suppose they could bring it back.

They are. The IOC is doing this new thing where they are having different sports of regional interest from now on. So baseball will only be played when the Olympics are in a baseball country since its just a regional sport.

I had no idea that break dancing was a regional sport that is popular in France.
guys, hate to say it but the olympics is just pathetic anymore. and this isnt because of the silly opening ceremonies. 95% of these events are pathetic.

summer olympics, well both actually, are decades past their point of relevancy.

Last edited:
guys, hate to say it but the olympics is just pathetic anymore. and this isnt because of the silly opening ceremonies. 95% of these events are pathetic.
Not to mention the unbridled celebrations for reaching the "platform" sans gold medal....The everybody gets a trophy generation's coming of age. Could not fathom a well-hung female East German shot putter putting on such a display back in the day...

"If you ain't first, you're last" .... Reese Bobby

• Haha
Reactions: jtownknowitall
I would love it to be one of the 1984 Olympic stars. Mary Lou Retton has had health problems so hopefully she is around in 4 years. She was the face of those Olympics as I remember it as an 8-year old.

If not Carl Lewis, or even MJ.
I think her health problem was Covid, which was pretty bad for her. But I believe she has recovered. She is still a fairly young woman (under 60), so odds are that she will still be around. I don't particularly like her these days, but she gets my vote for the torch. She WAS the star of the show the last time the Olympics were held in LA.

Carl Lewis should get to sing the National Anthem. :)

Reactions: ratking17
I think her health problem was Covid, which was pretty bad for her. But I believe she has recovered. She is still a fairly young woman (under 60), so odds are that she will still be around. I don't particularly like her these days, but she gets my vote for the torch. She WAS the star of the show the last time the Olympics were held in LA.

Carl Lewis should get to sing the National Anthem. :)
If it's going to be someone from the 1984 Olympics it should be Carl Lewis, besides the four golds at those Games he won five more in the next few Games, I could see Retton being on of the last torch bearers. But I don't see them going with a nostalgia of the 84 Olympics angle outside of the last few torch bearers, it'll most likely be Phelps.

They are. The IOC is doing this new thing where they are having different sports of regional interest from now on. So baseball will only be played when the Olympics are in a baseball country since its just a regional sport.
Team handball >baseball

Not to mention the unbridled celebrations for reaching the "platform" sans gold medal....The everybody gets a trophy generation's coming of age. Could not fathom a well-hung female East German shot putter putting on such a display back in the day...

"If you ain't first, you're last" .... Reese Bobby
Well, when Booby Finke got the silver yesterday in the 800 Free, he referred to himself as 'first loser' in his interview.

Well, when Booby Finke got the silver yesterday in the 800 Free, he referred to himself as 'first loser' in his interview.
and of course it was determined later that Reese Bobby was drunk when he stated those sage words...

is 3 on 3 halfcourt basketball really a thing? I cant tell whats real anymore and whats satire..
They should play on a macadam court with no net and fouls not counted. Good enough. And have a 6 year old Apple phone to broadcast it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT