ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Wire Transfer Fraud

MorningCoffee13

Redshirt
Aug 23, 2023
I have spent the last month recovering from an attempted wire transfer fraud on my bank account.

It started July 1, when I received a notice from one of my credit card companies that they detected potential fraud. I see the text and then a voicemail. So I go online to the main website because I never call a number that was texted to me. After getting to fraud department they said there was a login attempt that was stopped because the computer being used had malware and so the company blocked our login access. I checked and it was true. I was locked out from my account. They suggested running my malware/virus scan and when I did I was able to log back in because the malware was supposedly removed.

An hour later I get a call from my bank asking if I am approving the $2800 wire transfer to a Ms. Blakes in Metairie Louisiana. I said what are you talking about? I did not activate any wire transfer.

Since it was the beginning of the month my wife did her usual accounting and paid appropriate bills and transferred funds to investment accounts, etc. My bank, after I said there was no wire transfer, froze my account. Unfortunately that caused the in process transfers to other investment accounts to be considered as no funds available and these accounts locked our access. So due to timing, almost all of my access to money was locked.

Although we routinely use MFA and reasonably strong passwords, we went on a journey to change all of our accounts usernames and passwords. Please note, that some accounts you have will not allow you to change a username from anything other than a combination of your last name and initial or email address. A vulnerability in my opinion. So, we work through that and we work to open a new account at our bank and have the money moved from the old account to new account. This occurred during 4th of July week and the individual we worked with was not particularly fast. My wife actually found an email address for the COO and contacted him and he actually responded quickly and by the end of the day we had our new account. The day after the event the fraud folks emailed me securely and said we think someone logged in as you and then were somehow able to receive a text message to gain access to the supplied authorization code to go forward with the wire transfer. I said I never got a text on my phone.

I checked on line and the only way, it seemed, to get a text like that to another phone would be to do a SIM card scam. That is where the actor calls your phone company and convinces them it is you and tells them I got a new SIM card so please switch my phone number to this card. If they do that the actor can get the text, but my phone however would be dead from receiving calls and texts. So I knew that couldn't be how it happened.

So after a few days I secure messaged the fraud person at my bank to give me more specific details of what occurred other than what he said over the phone. Maybe like a log.

Well, they sent the log and my jaw dropped.

On July 1, you can see where I logged into the account to check that my pension check had been electronically deposited. It was there. Great.

Then at around 10 am you see a log in, a initiation of a wire transfer, a question back from the bank saying do you want to close the account, a response saying no and then a text verification code being issued to the person and then them entering it. I was astonished.

But even more astonishing when I looked at the details, all of the computer based work was from my internets actual IP Address, my version of windows and the browser I normally use to access this account. The text message went to my exact phone number and iPhone type and IOS Operating system number. So everything involved with this fraud attempt looked like I was doing it and approving it.

Again, I was totally astonished because I never actually received any texts at the time the bank log said one should have been received. I even went on line to ATT to check their records of logs and lo and behold I see a text at that time to my phone but I still had not received one to my actual phone. Now, I have gotten text messages before and deleted them and thought well that is that I can never see that message again. So bad on me that I did not know the messages could be recovered. My wife showed me how. Man I felt dumb. So I recover all of my texts from the beginning of the month going forward and there it was. A text message at precisely that time from my bank providing me a code. Jesus. It never showed up in my messages because my phone was in hand scrolling Twitter while watching the EUROs. No messages came through for me to actually see at that time because I would have noticed it immediately.

This really bothered me and I spent a lot of time engaging and trying to find out how that could happen. I finally came across the fact that someone can see the messages on your phone if they have access to your Apple ID. That way they can be on a completely different apple device and receive and control your text messages. That made sense because I would receive my text messages to my phone on my iPAD as well since they were tied in to the same Apple ID. So the fraudsters were able to get the text code and have it go to deleted before I ever even knew it happened.

I called our internet company and ended up getting a new modem/router from them. Went about changing all of the passwords to everything again once we established the new modem.

I honestly do not know how the Christ they got access to my computer. I figure from there they were able to access my Apple ID from remnants of stuff on the laptop. Neither one of us open links from emails sent to us or texts from people we do not know. The only thing we can even remotely think is we bought something at a roadside stand that has been on a road about two miles from our house for the last ten years. We used our credit card and an email came with the receipt. Didn't think anything of it since we knew we had just made that purchase and we opened the receipt to be sure the charge was correct. Everything looked valid but this is the only thing I can even think that we made an error on. Hell, I won't even open a legitimate email from Home Depot because of al of the fake ones that say YOU HAVE WON A MAKITA TOOL SET or whatever.

So our threat level skepticism is off the charts now. Anything that once seemed like a blip annoyance we now wonder why. We had a storm the other night and the internet blipped off for a couple of minutes. We wanted to believe it was the storm but were also suspicious of it being something else.

I post this just to give you fair warning that we are all vulnerable even if you consider yourself a decent cyber threat preventer.

I have spent the last month recovering from an attempted wire transfer fraud on my bank account.

It started July 1, when I received a notice from one of my credit card companies that they detected potential fraud. I see the text and then a voicemail. So I go online to the main website because I never call a number that was texted to me. After getting to fraud department they said there was a login attempt that was stopped because the computer being used had malware and so the company blocked our login access. I checked and it was true. I was locked out from my account. They suggested running my malware/virus scan and when I did I was able to log back in because the malware was supposedly removed.

An hour later I get a call from my bank asking if I am approving the $2800 wire transfer to a Ms. Blakes in Metairie Louisiana. I said what are you talking about? I did not activate any wire transfer.

Since it was the beginning of the month my wife did her usual accounting and paid appropriate bills and transferred funds to investment accounts, etc. My bank, after I said there was no wire transfer, froze my account. Unfortunately that caused the in process transfers to other investment accounts to be considered as no funds available and these accounts locked our access. So due to timing, almost all of my access to money was locked.

Although we routinely use MFA and reasonably strong passwords, we went on a journey to change all of our accounts usernames and passwords. Please note, that some accounts you have will not allow you to change a username from anything other than a combination of your last name and initial or email address. A vulnerability in my opinion. So, we work through that and we work to open a new account at our bank and have the money moved from the old account to new account. This occurred during 4th of July week and the individual we worked with was not particularly fast. My wife actually found an email address for the COO and contacted him and he actually responded quickly and by the end of the day we had our new account. The day after the event the fraud folks emailed me securely and said we think someone logged in as you and then were somehow able to receive a text message to gain access to the supplied authorization code to go forward with the wire transfer. I said I never got a text on my phone.

I checked on line and the only way, it seemed, to get a text like that to another phone would be to do a SIM card scam. That is where the actor calls your phone company and convinces them it is you and tells them I got a new SIM card so please switch my phone number to this card. If they do that the actor can get the text, but my phone however would be dead from receiving calls and texts. So I knew that couldn't be how it happened.

So after a few days I secure messaged the fraud person at my bank to give me more specific details of what occurred other than what he said over the phone. Maybe like a log.

On July 1, you can see where I logged into the account to check that my pension check had been electronically deposited. It was there. Great.

Then at around 10 am you see a log in, a initiation of a wire transfer, a question back from the bank saying do you want to close the account, a response saying no and then a text verification code being issued to the person and then them entering it. I was astonished.

But even more astonishing when I looked at the details, all of the computer based work was from my internets actual IP Address, my version of windows and the browser I normally use to access this account. The text message went to my exact phone number and iPhone type and IOS Operating system number. So everything involved with this fraud attempt looked like I was doing it and approving it.

Again, I was totally astonished because I never actually received any texts at the time the bank log said one should have been received. I even went on line to ATT to check their records of logs and lo and behold I see a text at that time to my phone but I still had not received one to my actual phone. Now, I have gotten text messages before and deleted them and thought well that is that I can never see that message again. So bad on me that I did not know the messages could be recovered. My wife showed me how. Man I felt dumb. So I recover all of my texts from the beginning of the month going forward and there it was. A text message at precisely that time from my bank providing me a code. Jesus. It never showed up in my messages because my phone was in hand scrolling Twitter while watching the EUROs. No messages came through for me to actually see at that time because I would have noticed it immediately.

This really bothered me and I spent a lot of time engaging and trying to find out how that could happen. I finally came across the fact that someone can see the messages on your phone if they have access to your Apple ID. That way they can be on a completely different apple device and receive and control your text messages. That made sense because I would receive my text messages to my phone on my iPAD as well since they were tied in to the same Apple ID. So the fraudsters were able to get the text code and have it go to deleted before I ever even knew it happened.

I called our internet company and ended up getting a new modem/router from them. Went about changing all of the passwords to everything again once we established the new modem.

I honestly do not know how the Christ they got access to my computer. I figure from there they were able to access my Apple ID from remnants of stuff on the laptop. Neither one of us open links from emails sent to us or texts from people we do not know. The only thing we can even remotely think is we bought something at a roadside stand that has been on a road about two miles from our house for the last ten years. We used our credit card and an email came with the receipt. Didn't think anything of it since we knew we had just made that purchase and we opened the receipt to be sure the charge was correct. Everything looked valid but this is the only thing I can even think that we made an error on. Hell, I won't even open a legitimate email from Home Depot because of al of the fake ones that say YOU HAVE WON A MAKITA TOOL SET or whatever.

So our threat level skepticism is off the charts now. Anything that once seemed like a blip annoyance we now wonder why. We had a storm the other night and the internet blipped off for a couple of minutes. We wanted to believe it was the storm but were also suspicious of it being something else.

I post this just to give you fair warning that we are all vulnerable even if you consider yourself a decent cyber threat preventer.
I never had a breach of your severity but I have had a few scares. Thanks for this, as it is always good reminder to be vigilant.

There are a few issues that should be bipartisan and be fixed, and I'd theft is one of them. I know there is nothing that could be done to fox 100% of the issue, but the fact it is as prevalent as it is shows how worthless both political parties are.

Did you end losing any money or not?
I did not. A human being called me because she thought it suspicious. So that stopped the transfer.

Nothing else was hacked because I basically was able to change up user ids and passwords on other accounts.

I did have to replace a computer and phone.

I’ve yet to come across anything personally but working in accounting the fraud is pretty rampant. My company still mails out checks and even that has risks - someone intercepted one in the mail, wrote some random name and address over it and cashed it. Good thing for insurance there since for some reason we didn’t have a positive pay trigger to approve that check being cashed.

Thanks for sharing your story.

I did not. A human being called me because she thought it suspicious. So that stopped the transfer.

Nothing else was hacked because I basically was able to change up user ids and passwords on other accounts.

I did have to replace a computer and phone.
Not sure of your situation but you may want to consider that this was orchestrated by someone who is close to you.

That is scary. I am usually diligent but all it takes is one moment. It happened to me with a Netflix account and luckily the credit card company caught something suspicious before it went through so I immediately cancelled my card and changed all my passwords.

But still........................

My problem is I take care of my mom. And she is a friendly sort who I hear on the phone giving her life story.....and I always caution her. One time I heard her on the phone, she is in front of her computer and I screamed DONT TOUCH ANY KEY!!!! She was following the instructions because he computer was "locked". I told her to hang up. Shut her computer down and rebooted and showed her she wasn't locked but was about to. Then the gall of this bastard, he called back and this time I answered and told him to **** off.

You probably use the same login for Apple that you use for another account that was breached and posted on the Dark Web.

I use a variety of different passwords so that if you get one, you don't get all. I also tier by risk:

Tier 1 - banking, e-mail
Tier 2 - desirable eCommerce like Amazon
Tier 3 - low desirable eCommerce like airlines and pizza apps
Tier 4 - everything else

The stuff that gets breached is almost always Tier 4 or 3. Threat actors have gotten into dumb stuff like my gaming accounts. But the threat actors can't leverage that into any real damage like wire transfers.

Thanks for sharing. This is an extremely scary event / story. Glad you are ok.

Then the gall of this bastard, he called back and this time I answered and told him to **** off.

My mom had someone trying to scam her on the phone. She went to the local police department (not that they can do anything). And literally the guy called her while she was sitting there talking to the cop. She handed him the phone and the cop told the guy who he was and told him that they were on to him and that he should stop calling her and leave her alone.

Later on, I forget if it was later that day or a day or two later, he called her back. Now that is some chutzpah.

My mom had someone trying to scam her on the phone. She went to the local police department (not that they can do anything). And literally the guy called her while she was sitting there talking to the cop. She handed him the phone and the cop told the guy who he was and told him that they were on to him and that he should stop calling her and leave her alone.

Later on, I forget if it was later that day or a day or two later, he called her back. Now that is some chutzpah.
Even the people soliciting for charities never quit and they're not doing anything illegal, I have this guy who always calls for various charities, and yeah, I donated a few times over the years, then I got sick of his constant calls, I recognize his voice and he calls me by name, one day I told him to please stop calling, he kept calling, I then cussed him out in an ugly manner, and he said he'd stop, but he doesn't stop, now as soon as I recognize his voice I just hang up, whatever happened to the "do not call list" - I think it didn't include charities, but it should, but now I actually look forward to just hanging up on him because it's insane that he won't stop, I've hung up on him nonstop for at least a year and he still keeps calling.

You probably use the same login for Apple that you use for another account that was breached and posted on the Dark Web.

I use a variety of different passwords so that if you get one, you don't get all. I also tier by risk:

Tier 1 - banking, e-mail
Tier 2 - desirable eCommerce like Amazon
Tier 3 - low desirable eCommerce like airlines and pizza apps
Tier 4 - everything else

The stuff that gets breached is almost always Tier 4 or 3. Threat actors have gotten into dumb stuff like my gaming accounts. But the threat actors can't leverage that into any real damage like wire transfers.

Thanks for sharing. This is an extremely scary event / story. Glad you are ok.
No. I never use my Apple ID for much of anything so I always have to change the password every time I need it because I have forgotten it since the last time I used it.

Not sure of your situation but you may want to consider that this was orchestrated by someone who is close to you.
The only one close enough to me that knows stuff like that is my wife. Pretty sure it wasn’t her. I can pretty safely say it was not anyone close to me who did this.

Even the people soliciting for charities never quit and they're not doing anything illegal, I have this guy who always calls for various charities, and yeah, I donated a few times over the years, then I got sick of his constant calls, I recognize his voice and he calls me by name, one day I told him to please stop calling, he kept calling, I then cussed him out in an ugly manner, and he said he'd stop, but he doesn't stop, now as soon as I recognize his voice I just hang up, whatever happened to the "do not call list" - I think it didn't include charities, but it should, but now I actually look forward to just hanging up on him because it's insane that he won't stop, I've hung up on him nonstop for at least a year and he still keeps calling.
OK. I'll stop.

• Haha
Reactions: Pitt79 and OH Pete
Whichever political candidate that comes out with a "death penalty for scammers" platform will get my vote in November. I hate them. It is getting even harder to F with them these days because they have so much info on you when they call. I can't give them a fake name & address (I used to tell them my name was Joe Paterno and give them the address of Beaver Stadium). Can't do that anymore, sadly.

I tried to do that last week and the guy in a heavy and angry accent said, "I know your name is OH Pete, why are you lying to me?". What is this world coming to when you can't even screw with a scammer? :)

Reactions: MorningCoffee13
I tried to do that last week and the guy in a heavy and angry accent said, "I know your name is OH Pete, why are you lying to me?". What is this world coming to when you can't even screw with a scammer? :)

"Because you are a scammer and you are bothering me, so I am going to screw with you every chance I get. If that doesn't work for you, go ahead and hang up."

Reactions: OH Pete
I belong to a credit union. I noticed 2 large unauthorized withdrawals. Called the credit union and they had my funds back in the account within 24 hours. I get texts on all withdrawals and deposits. For some reason this specific account didn't have the text notifications at the time (would have noticed sooner) of the fraudulent withdrawals. Had to fill out forms as the credit union had to notify the FBI of the fraud.

Reactions: MorningCoffee13
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT