ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Worst Men’s Fashion Trend

I agree for the most part. There are exceptions. I have a 6 hour meeting every Tuesday that is the Pitts (see what I did there). The leader expects us to multitask because of length and frequency of the meeting.

The other exception is if you know before hand of an important call coming. Inform the people beforehand that you may need to step out if you receive the call. No need to get into specifics but explain why it would be important (waiting for a call from my doctors, wife is pregnant, etc) If you do receive it during the meeting try to be breif so you can get back to the meeting.
6 hr meeting.....
Should have every single person you know call you at least once...
If there’s execs and other suit types in there you must hear every buzz word, phrase, quote ever created multiple times.

Is it the Tuesday meeting, because it’s Tuesday ( John Cleese reference)

6 hr meeting.....
Should have every single person you know call you at least once...
If there’s execs and other suit types in there you must hear every buzz word, phrase, quote ever created multiple times.

Is it the Tuesday meeting, because it’s Tuesday ( John Cleese reference)

Yes it sucks. Trust me it is a different topic for a different time. Not willing to hijack this thread about that. Maybe one day I will start an OT about it.

Reactions: paulbl99
Yes it sucks. Trust me it is a different topic for a different time. Not willing to hijack this thread about that. Maybe one day I will start an OT about it.
Np hijacking it here...just a guess,
latest trend is how to deal with Snowflakes and Mememers in the workplace!!

Unless you are pulling down a couple hundred large a yr or near retirement...take that up as a new business opportunity ASAP

Lmao

Last edited:
Reactions: Mikefln
Np hijacking it here...just a guess,
latest trend is how to deal with Snowflakes and Mememers in the workplace!!

Unless you are pulling down a couple hundred large a yr or near retirement...take that up as a new business opportunity ASAP

Lmao

LOL Ok I will hijack it then. My boss is one of those mid 40 yo tech type guys who was trying to be innovative with no need for all these meetings, you can work from home, etc. etc. After a while, when too much work was not getting done, everyone had to start reporting to work, and then meetings became the norm.

Even though I was able to work from home, I still showed up everyday minus the occasional son is sick or house repair situation. I knew I could not work from home and be productive. I would be cutting grass and other yard work. Fixing things around the house. Just distracted. Knowing myself I never fell for the whole work from home bit. The others jumped on it and they did nothing productive for work. it takes a special type of discipline to work from home and be productive day in day out. After a week or so people start taking liberties until they do next to nothing IMO. Now we suffer getting micromanaged every Tuesday.

It is the worse. We go site by site, with everyone commenting on their portion. If I was able to only state my portion and not listen to everyone else, i could be done in an hour. But I have to listen to everyone talk about their part, and boy are some unprepared week after week. I have no clue how they still have a job.

Work from home on a daily basis is a bad idea. It’s great to have as an option for emergencies etc, but daily is a bad idea for a company as well. Our company used to tout it, saying how they offered it and it helped the work/life balance, but has slowly taken it away. Another reason I never did it was that we go through 5 year cycles and lay people off in big swings. Being on the side of the fence that makes the cuts now....wfh people are outnof site, out of mind. Easy to let those guys go.

Work from home on a daily basis is a bad idea. It’s great to have as an option for emergencies etc, but daily is a bad idea for a company as well. Our company used to tout it, saying how they offered it and it helped the work/life balance, but has slowly taken it away. Another reason I never did it was that we go through 5 year cycles and lay people off in big swings. Being on the side of the fence that makes the cuts now....wfh people are outnof site, out of mind. Easy to let those guys go.
Depends on the field.

Nobody in our company at ANY level keeps their cell phone in their pocket. It’s right next to their laptop on the table in any meeting.

Do you guys actually have meetings where everybody doesn’t have a laptop with them?
I have a laptop, issued by my employer, I don't always take it to meeting, but I always have my phone with me and look at it or use it anytime I want to.

We work from home twice a week.

Regarding phone in meetings, much of it depends on the dynamics.

If you are in sales and meeting a client or potential client, that phone should never come out. If its a staff meeting and its taking you away from your actual responsibilities, it might not be so bad.

One thing ive noticed is everyone pretends every text or email is life or death and needs addressed immediately. Totally silly.

I hated working from home. I have little kids who dont understand the concept and really they shouldnt need to, its their home they arent at an office....i would take calls in my garage or go sit in my car in the driveway.

I work better from a coffee shop if necessary.

We had one guy in our office who worked from home, and when he skyped into meetings he was always dressed in a steelers jersey and really bizzare yellow jean shorts....just a really odd duck.
We don't skype in, I usually am wearing a t shirt and basketball shorts. I have a bunch sports team t shirts, yesterday I was wearing a Baltimore Blast T shirt.

We had one guy in our office who worked from home, and when he skyped into meetings he was always dressed in a steelers jersey and really bizzare yellow jean shorts....just a really odd duck.
Odd indeed but.....
Our one guy always had on a tie with long sleeve shirt and slacks.

Turns out he was cutting grass......GONZO

LOL Ok I will hijack it then. My boss is one of those mid 40 yo tech type guys who was trying to be innovative with no need for all these meetings, you can work from home, etc. etc. After a while, when too much work was not getting done, everyone had to start reporting to work, and then meetings became the norm.

Even though I was able to work from home, I still showed up everyday minus the occasional son is sick or house repair situation. I knew I could not work from home and be productive. I would be cutting grass and other yard work. Fixing things around the house. Just distracted. Knowing myself I never fell for the whole work from home bit. The others jumped on it and they did nothing productive for work. it takes a special type of discipline to work from home and be productive day in day out. After a week or so people start taking liberties until they do next to nothing IMO. Now we suffer getting micromanaged every Tuesday.

It is the worse. We go site by site, with everyone commenting on their portion. If I was able to only state my portion and not listen to everyone else, i could be done in an hour. But I have to listen to everyone talk about their part, and boy are some unprepared week after week. I have no clue how they still have a job.
Your boss is a shitty manager. In one of my roles as a Corporate mutt I did a lot of training and one of the most impactful things I used to train our VP's and their teams on was conducting effective meetings. Suffice it to say...your boss is doing it wrong. My condolences. There are so many collaboration sites where you could all post your info for the other team members to access rather than endure that nonsense.

I can honestly say I had no idea cargo shorts were so taboo.

My wife clued me in this past sumMer
Seems wasteful to the 5 shorts which were my regular summer rotation

Well, I am over 50...I have them, I wear them. I don't care. At this point in my life, I am going for comfort and practicality. Fashion Faux Pas be damned.

The cargo pockets dont bother me, it's how they are universally sloppy looking....way beyond the knee, baggy and saggy.

Normally paired with sandals, which is another item men should never wear unless you are at the beach.

Reactions: paulbl99
I used to love cargo pants when I traveled through an airport because you are always carrying so much stuff. I now use a back pack....but you can't see it because I wear a Snuggie over top.
1-Snuggie-012609.jpg

I can honestly say I had no idea cargo shorts were so taboo.

My wife clued me in this past sumMer
Seems wasteful to the 5 shorts which were my regular summer rotation

You probably also don’t read magazines or watch tv to see what’s “in style”. I never have and never will. I actually don’t know many people who don’t wear cargo shorts. But then again, i’m from penn hills which isn’t loaded with business men.

How do pockets on the sides make a pair of shorts or pants more comfortable?

I don’t care if they have pockets or not....but I sure as hell am not wearing nut huggers like apparently you do. And ya, i’d listen to my wife or girlfriend on what to wear. I’m trying to get some pu$$y, not approval from some business man.

You probably also don’t read magazines or watch tv to see what’s “in style”. I never have and never will. I actually don’t know many people who don’t wear cargo shorts. But then again, i’m from penn hills which isn’t loaded with business men.
I wear a shirt and tie to work.

Just really has no idea about the shorts.

Im a confirmed cargo man, shorts and trousers both when I can get away with it. I don't particular dig the look. But hate to sit on my Costanzaesque wallet, and hate the huge smart phone in the front pocket, huge car key fob in the other, of standard pants. Married 20 something years, I don't particularly give up function for style as I might have in my swinging 20s

I’m curious, where are you guys going to see men or teenagers not wearing cargo shorts? I don’t know how any man wears a pair of shorts that doesn’t cover the knee cap unless you’re over 55.

I’m curious, where are you guys going to see men or teenagers not wearing cargo shorts? I don’t know how any man wears a pair of shorts that doesn’t cover the knee cap unless you’re over 55.
You can actually find somewhat neat and tailored shorts and khakis by Dockers and others in many dept stores (JCP is a good go to for these). They have flush pockets on the side thigh areas, can slide the phone or wallet in them, with discreet zippers to keep the stuff in rather than the big floppy cargo pockets with the velcro or big buttons that are common with the ones worn more by the junior set... though I still have a number of those too, they're best for football games and Home Depot trips.

You can actually find somewhat neat and tailored shorts and khakis by Dockers and others in many dept stores (JCP is a good go to for these). They have flush pockets on the side thigh areas, can slide the phone or wallet in them, with discreet zippers to keep the stuff in rather than the big floppy cargo pockets with the velcro or big buttons that are common with the ones worn more by the junior set... though I still have a number of those too, they're best for football games and Home Depot trips.

My question was more, who is wearing non-cargo shorts and where are they? Not where to buy them at. I honestly don’t know anybody under 55 who doesn’t wear cargo shorts or any shorts below the knee.

Who wears shorts trying to look professional?

Lmao...who reads magazines or fashion ones?

Reactions: Jpripper88
Can someone explain why shorts hanging below the knee are more comfortable than shorts a few inches higher?

That makes no sense.

Reactions: Jpripper88
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT