ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Would this cross the Allegheny River at PNC Park?

Not even close. Damn impressive but the Clemente Bridge is 883 feet long. So even Mick hit it from the river walk it wouldn’t clear the river.

Might have inspired the baseball cartoon w ball flying through the air screaming ....wooooooooooow

I often wondered if that was possible, you know some kid said” this is where I found it””
I mean I see some blasts today that are “estimated “ at far less than 450...565 is out there man.

Don’t get me wrong...Mick put one over the right field roof and off the CF light tower in ‘60 at Forbes, if remembering my stories properly..
Anybody who ever saw him in the clubhouse said he was absolutely ripped.

I got an autographed baseball...oh yeah.

Might have inspired the baseball cartoon w ball flying through the air screaming ....wooooooooooow

I often wondered if that was possible, you know some kid said” this is where I found it””
I mean I see some blasts today that are “estimated “ at far less than 450...565 is out there man.

Don’t get me wrong...Mick put one over the right field roof and off the CF light tower in ‘60 at Forbes, if remembering my stories properly..
Anybody who ever saw him in the clubhouse said he was absolutely ripped.

I got an autographed baseball...oh yeah.
Willie Stargell was an all time power hitter. He hit 7 balls over the roof at Forbes and 4 into the upper deck st 3 Rivers. I personally witnessed one at each venue. As an aside, Roberto Clemente hit one at Wrigley that went over the Center Field scoreboard and half way up the flag pole. One of only two men to ever do that.

I was at 3 rivers when greg luzinski put one 10 rows from the top of the upper deck in left field

Willie Stargell was an all time power hitter. He hit 7 balls over the roof at Forbes and 4 into the upper deck st 3 Rivers. I personally witnessed one at each venue. As an aside, Roberto Clemente hit one at Wrigley that went over the Center Field scoreboard and half way up the flag pole. One of only two men to ever do that.
Not to be contrary but I thought the roof was only done a total of about 7 times ...
Babe
Mickey
Stargell a couple few
McCovey.

???
I think one was Jerry Lynch.

I saw McCoveys and one of Stargell’s.

Not sure of the # I could be misremembering

Not to be contrary but I thought the roof was only done a total of about 7 times ...
Babe
Mickey
Stargell a couple few
McCovey.

???

Stargell did it 7 times. Pretty sure about that.

Dick Stewart was the only person to clear the 457 ft marker in dead center at Forbes Field

Reactions: Pav9870
John Daly hit a golf ball out of Three Rivers, and attempted to hit one over the Mon.

I remember seeing a video clip of his attempts, but I couldn't find it.

"A Daly event

John Daly, who once hit a golf ball out of Three Rivers Stadium, will now try another seemingly impossible task: Drive a ball across the Monongahela River.

Daly will attempt to do so at 4 p.m. Monday near the UPMC Sports Performance Complex on the South Side. A former PGA and British Open champion, Daly will hit several balls and conduct a clinic from the river bank as a promotion for the 84 Lumber Classic of Pennsylvania. The PGA Tour event is coming to Nemacolin Woodlands Resort Sept. 15-22."

http://old.post-gazette.com/sports/golf/20030501golfnot0501p2.asp

VIn Scully loved telling stories & he never shied away for telling the two times Stargell hit it out of Dodger Stadium (1969 & 1973) when the Bucco’s were in town.

Stargell still holds the longest HR ever hit there at 506 1/2 feet (1969).

To this day, only 3 other HR’s left that park. Mike Stanton in 2015, Mark McGwire in 1999, & Mike Piazza in 1997.

Stargell may to this day be the only batter to hit one completely out of Dodger Stadium..

He could tattoo the ball as the Gunner would say....

VIn Scully loved telling stories & he never shied away for telling the two times Stargell hit it out of Dodger Stadium (1969 & 1973) when the Bucco’s were in town.

Stargell still holds the longest HR ever hit there at 506 1/2 feet (1969).

To this day, only 3 other HR’s left that park. Mike Stanton in 2015, Mark McGwire in 1999, & Mike Piazza in 1997.
Stanton now of the Yanks...
So it took 24 years to equal Willie hitting it out of the stadium...Stargell hit some prodigious blasts that is for sure...

Good one.

One of the many drawbacks to the doughnut ballparks like Three Rivers was the confined outfield spaces that negated tape-measure home runs of the line drive variety.

Yeah, you could hit a ball high -- as Stargell and a handful of others did -- into the upper deck. Majestic blows, all. But if you hit a ball solidly on the screws and shot it over the wall on a line drive -- the best you could hope for was to bury it in loge seating. At best, 440 feet away.

I saw George Foster put one in the center field red sets at 3RS that was rising when it made impact. It would have gone 500 feet unobstructed. Lee May hit two in one game off the back wall in center. Manny Sanguillen popped one off the original scoreboard. Circular parks did not do home run hitters justice; their feats of hitting strength got swallowed.

Was in left field upper deck against the Mets when Wilver planted one in right field, amazing bomb!

Was in left field upper deck against the Mets when Wilver planted one in right field, amazing bomb!
I was along the first base line in 1968 when Willie parked one over the roof at Forbes. That was against the Mets who had a young Nolan Ryan on the staff. Third base side looking strait down the right field line in ‘71 when Willie put one in the upper deck at 3 rivers against the Expos. In the second game he got up with the bases loaded and hit a shot to right off the back wall that never got over 12’ high. The ball bounced the whole way back to the infield and may have been more impressive than the moon shot in the first game.

I was along the first base line in 1968 when Willie parked one over the roof at Forbes. That was against the Mets who had a young Nolan Ryan on the staff. Third base side looking strait down the right field line in ‘71 when Willie put one in the upper deck at 3 rivers against the Expos. In the second game he got up with the bases loaded and hit a shot to right off the back wall that never got over 12’ high. The ball bounced the whole way back to the infield and may have been more impressive than the moon shot in the first game.
I saw Bill Robinson hit an upper decker at 3RS that was just foul. During the 94 All Star game Home Run Derby, someone (Frank Thomas maybe) hit the center of the scoreboard in center field which was quite a blast.

Babe
Mickey
Stargell a couple few
McCovey.

???

Jerry Lynch, the Allison Park Sweeper!

Saw Starg put one on the roof at Forbes against Ron Reed of the Braves. It was the only time I had box seats as a kid. About 10 rows back behind the 3rd base dugout. Reed was a submarine righty.

Reactions: paulbl99
Saw Starg put one on the roof at Forbes against Ron Reed of the Braves. It was the only time I had box seats as a kid. About 10 rows back behind the 3rd base dugout. Reed was a submarine righty.

No kidding hitting it out of Forbes to RF was a blast.

For some reason I’m thinking Bob Skinner did it once as well

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT