ADVERTISEMENT

OT: WVU/Imani's Kenny Robinson

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
He was a lowly rated recruit from a tiny Class A school that Pitt didn't offer. How in the world is he able to be a starter as a true frosh and still starting at FS as a sophomore for Tony Gibson's nasty defense on a CFP contendor? Is it just bad luck? How can this kid be better than Paris Ford? Is Ford really that bad that he cant sniff the field for an atrocious defense?

I just dont get it. Either our young DBs and LBs are just that bad that they are truly worse players than our group of talent-deficient 5th year seniors or this staff just lacks any kind of trust in these kids. I dont know but I see guys like Robinson and Lamont Wade playing early for much better teams and it frustrates the heck out of me.

Reactions: Usuallyunusual
Robinson was a LB and didn’t jump on his Pitt offer, so Pitt went on to better players. I’m a big wpial homer, but the kid was a hell of a player if you ever seen him play. So not only did he start, but at a position he never played before. I have no doubt in my mind that Ford if he went to WVU would be starting right next to him. There’s reasons WPIAL kids are not coming to here and it starts at HC. I loved Narduzzi when he was 1st hired, but he’s changed personality a lot and not in a good way. Lyke needs to work on a buyout with him this offseason.

Robinson was a LB and didn’t jump on his Pitt offer, so Pitt went on to better players. I’m a big wpial homer, but the kid was a hell of a player if you ever seen him play. So not only did he start, but at a position he never played before. I have no doubt in my mind that Ford if he went to WVU would be starting right next to him. There’s reasons WPIAL kids are not coming to here and it starts at HC. I loved Narduzzi when he was 1st hired, but he’s changed personality a lot and not in a good way. Lyke needs to work on a buyout with him this offseason.
Boss Lady just worked on a yuge extension. She can’t be wrong so few months later.....

Boss Lady just worked on a yuge extension. She can’t be wrong so few months later.....

I get that. Adding years to the end is normally a thing to help recruiting so you’re not painted as a lame duck coach. It all depends on wha his buyout terms on the extension are. If he goes 2-10, it’s kind of hard for her to look anybody in the face and say she still believes in him.

Reactions: paulbl99

Narduzzi would have probably kept him at LB and he would be sitting behind the fully tenured Zeise & Idowu.

But yeah, I agree, something is off with Narduzzi. Maybe a combo of not signing Canada and the failure of the 2017 class. All the effort into Jeter and it didn't work. I wasn't thrilled with the hire since I thought it seemed a little bit too much like "career coordinator", but I liked that he came from MSU and was used to the whole "big brother" dynamic. Thought he would be a perfect fit to compete with Franklin. Plus I thought the defense would be so much better. And his first full class was decent. I don't know....I don't see things getting better now. But who knows, may he pulls a Walt in 2001 and starts a nice run this week. Nothing shocks me anymore.

He was a lowly rated recruit from a tiny Class A school that Pitt didn't offer. How in the world is he able to be a starter as a true frosh and still starting at FS as a sophomore for Tony Gibson's nasty defense on a CFP contendor?
You mean WVU's defense is 'nasty' as in bad and not in good, right?

Narduzzi would have probably kept him at LB and he would be sitting behind the fully tenured Zeise & Idowu.

But yeah, I agree, something is off with Narduzzi. Maybe a combo of not signing Canada and the failure of the 2017 class. All the effort into Jeter and it didn't work. I wasn't thrilled with the hire since I thought it seemed a little bit too much like "career coordinator", but I liked that he came from MSU and was used to the whole "big brother" dynamic. Thought he would be a perfect fit to compete with Franklin. Plus I thought the defense would be so much better. And his first full class was decent. I don't know....I don't see things getting better now. But who knows, may he pulls a Walt in 2001 and starts a nice run this week. Nothing shocks me anymore.
Good post - Agree with all, except I can't imagine a rapid turnaround. Walt was able to do it in the season you reference, by reverting to his previous effective offense. This team has no effective offense to revert to, unless they could consult with Canada on the side.

Otherwise though, everything is looking spot on with regard to the dramatic change that has been seen. It seems a 180 from 2016 and before. Looking a lot like a guy who has lost heart here. But financially the program is basically tapped out and it never seems close to a priority with Pitt's administration, not even the money, because I acknowledge that on the surface, they spend a good bit ... but just time spent. Other schools embrace sports; Pitt grudgingly maintains sports. For better or worse.

So a long painful hospice period is looking likely. Maybe they'll hope to wear him down and he'll take a lowball settlement to get out.

He was a lowly rated recruit from a tiny Class A school that Pitt didn't offer. How in the world is he able to be a starter as a true frosh and still starting at FS as a sophomore for Tony Gibson's nasty defense on a CFP contendor?

Huh? WVU's D has been awesome ever since Gibby took over

Good post - Agree with all, except I can't imagine a rapid turnaround. Walt was able to do it in the season you reference, by reverting to his previous effective offense. This team has no effective offense to revert to, unless they could consult with Canada on the side.

Otherwise though, everything is looking spot on with regard to the dramatic change that has been seen. It seems a 180 from 2016 and before. Looking a lot like a guy who has lost heart here. But financially the program is basically tapped out and it never seems close to a priority with Pitt's administration, not even the money, because I acknowledge that on the surface, they spend a good bit ... but just time spent. Other schools embrace sports; Pitt grudgingly maintains sports. For better or worse.

So a long painful hospice period is looking likely. Maybe they'll hope to wear him down and he'll take a lowball settlement to get out.

I'm wondering if he just isn't happy sitting in the captains chair. I think the pressure of being the head honcho may be starting to get to him. Not everyone is cut out for command. I see him going somewhere as a coordinator again, or taking a few years off and resurfacing at a Youngstown State as head coach if Pellllini moves on.

Actually WVU's defense is pretty darn good. They are leaps and bounds better than ours. We are giving up an extra 1.5y/pl. By every measure they are a better than average defense.

Actually, 247 had him as a toss up between Pitt and WVU with an edge towards WVU. His recruitment was discussed here when he announced to WVU. They recruited him for a hybrid position that is something of a mix between backer and safety. It's one of those positions you definitely have to have the right fit.

I'm not sure you can look at one defense to another and make 1 to 1 comparisons. Pitt's system is so different from WVU's, even beyond the obvious results. WVU's defense doesn't jump off the page yardage wise but the offense scores fast and they're allowing under 20 points per game which is in the top 20 right now. It's more than adequate to put up double digit wins and possibly challenge for the conference title. As a Pitt fan, you'd take it.

Change in personality BINGO....spot on. The guy who brought the 4th quarter parties is DONE.

WVU knows that in the Big 12, you are never going to stop anybody. So they play aggressive and go for turnovers. Robinson is thriving there. With a conservative coach like Narduzzi, he'd probably look way worse.

WVU knows that in the Big 12, you are never going to stop anybody. So they play aggressive and go for turnovers. Robinson is thriving there. With a conservative coach like Narduzzi, he'd probably look way worse.

That is the way defense needs to play. Like Coach Nickerson said to Stef "go for the ball not the man"

Head coaching is hugely different than defensive coordinating.

Reactions: cpc247
He doesn't watch or follow.
Where do you get they have a good defense from? Last year they gave up 31 to Va Tech, 34 to Kansas, 35 to TCU, 36 to Baylor, 50 to Ok St., and 59 to Oklahoma. In what world is that a good defense? They've played one offense that can score this year and gave up 34 to Texas Tech who was playing their second and third qb.

Where do you get they have a good defense from? Last year they gave up 31 to Va Tech, 34 to Kansas, 35 to TCU, 36 to Baylor, 50 to Ok St., and 59 to Oklahoma. In what world is that a good defense? They've played one offense that can score this year and gave up 34 to Texas Tech who was playing their second and third qb.
It isn't 1950.

121 you are correct Wvu's defense stinks.You guys would put 50 on Gibby and get him fired.So it's good that we aren't playing Pitt this year.

Reactions: eerlobe
But them having a good defense does. You have to watch and follow the game and understand it isn't 1950.
I get that you're the biggest troll on the board and only post positives about our rivals, but I guess our definition of 'nasty' is really different. For example, my definition of 'nasty' is how I imagine your body odor to be. WVU's defense has been average, at best, under Gibson despite how pass-happy the B12 is. It's way too early to call them 'nasty' this year until they start playing some good teams.

WVU DEF. 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018
Total Defense 66 61 74 106 63
Scoring Defense 72 44 35 90 20
Total # Teams 125 127 128 129 129

I get that you're the biggest troll on the board and only post positives about our rivals, but I guess our definition of 'nasty' is really different. For example, my definition of 'nasty' is how I imagine your body odor to be. WVU's defense has been average, at best, under Gibson despite how pass-happy the B12 is. It's way too early to call them 'nasty' this year until they start playing some good teams.

WVU DEF. 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018
Total Defense 66 61 74 106 63
Scoring Defense 72 44 35 90 20
Total # Teams 125 127 128 129 129
I'm not a troll, at all. You aren't a Pitt or college football fan, at all.

This is 2018 and you are using total defense? Do you know what total defense is? It is entirely based on total yards. It is an idiotic statistic to base defensive success on in a game where schemes of your own team, your opponents, and their opponents can completely change the narrative.

I wouldn't support the OP's designation of nasty, but they do have a good defense this year. They play in a league where they are going to see superior offenses and they run an offensive scheme that is going to put their defense on the field far more than in some other leagues. They also press for turnovers (although they haven't done that much this year) and take chances others do not. They are in the top 40 in scoring defense, yards per play, and 3rd down conversion %, and TD%, which are far, far better measures of defensive success. They are also top 15 in TFLs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT