DT_PITT

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2001
... doesn't really change at #204.

Our defense improved a little to #164.

But our offense has dropped to #247.

Yuck.

Maybe that's why you professed that Marcus Carr was the greatest Pitt freshman guard in 20 years when he very clearly is not?
Using analytical tools to help determine just how close or far away this team is from any level of competitiveness is something a troll like smfraud cannot comprehend. Right now the Pomeroy agrees with the eye test, These kids may have potential but today they are out and out coached.

And a few of the kids, although trying, are clearly not what they were billed to be upon arriving at Pitt. Maybe they need time to mature and learn, but they just don't pass the eye test. Carr in particular. But with this coach, learning and maturing aren't part of the equation.

The pressure of running the offense and being targeted by the opposition as Pitts best player is taking its tool on Carr . He’s being forced to be the pg which he’s clearly not . Don’t give up on this kid with the proper support around him ( a pg ) he’ll excel .
Those knocking Carr now where the same guys complaining about Stewert earlier . These guys are freshman who are learning on the fly ...try and remember this !

The pressure of running the offense and being targeted by the opposition as Pitts best player is taking its tool on Carr . He’s being forced to be the pg which he’s clearly not . Don’t give up on this kid with the proper support around him ( a pg ) he’ll excel .
Those knocking Carr now where the same guys complaining about Stewert earlier . These guys are freshman who are learning on the fly ...try and remember this !
I agree. It's hard to judge Carr. First, he isn't a natural PG, but he's being forced to play that position in a difficult conference with no help around him. I am still bullish on his long-term prospects.

I agree. It's hard to judge Carr. First, he isn't a natural PG, but he's being forced to play that position in a difficult conference with no help around him. I am still bullish on his long-term prospects.

A nearly complete lack of an offensive threat in the post is smothering Carr. Defenses are extending way outside the arc and almost ignoring the baseline because there is almost no post threat. I’m surprised Parker is finding any room— he’s making some deep threes. jWF can’t find room either.

It’s clear the scout on Pitt is to double run at Carr with 2 defenders almost every time he touches the ball.

Carr looked a lot better when Luther provided a threat and id imagine our young backcourt would much better if we had a big who you could throw the ball to expect him to make a move and score or make the right pass more often than not.

Reactions: gary2
Losing Luther has definitely been a big blow to Carr's development, not only because of losing the post presence but also because Luther was the second facilitator on the floor; he was second on the team in Ast% and could even handle the ball a bit against pressure. Now, without that element and with Milligan basically being relegated to the end of the bench, there are literally no other ball handlers or creators out there and no other Pitt player has an assist rate over 14%.

Hopefully Stewart can step up to fill some of that role but that's not really putting him in the best position to succeed either.

A nearly complete lack of an offensive threat in the post is smothering Carr. Defenses are extending way outside the arc and almost ignoring the baseline because there is almost no post threat. I’m surprised Parker is finding any room— he’s making some deep threes. jWF can’t find room either.

It’s clear the scout on Pitt is to double run at Carr with 2 defenders almost every time he touches the ball.

Carr looked a lot better when Luther provided a threat and id imagine our young backcourt would much better if we had a big who you could throw the ball to expect him to make a move and score or make the right pass more often than not.

What I'd like to see more with Carr is an ability to get by people with the dribble. At this point, I'm not quite sure he has the overall quickness to do this consistently.

What I'd like to see more with Carr is an ability to get by people with the dribble. At this point, I'm not quite sure he has the overall quickness to do this consistently.

No doubt about it. It’s tough when you’re talking about a true freshmen surrounded by true freshmen all of whom are probably overwhelmed to some degree or another.

Again- I can imagine him getting stronger, quicker and gaining that all critical experience and savvy over time that he becomes more of that type of player in 2 or 3 years.

My hope is his trajectory looks a bit like Brandin— Carr’s already a better shooter - by the time he’s a junior he’s become a much better player. Of course Brandin had guys like Chevy and Lett and Jaron around him to take the heat off and make players in the post. I guess that’s my theme — who are the Chevy and Lett and Jaron on this team??

Pitt is currently ranked below Duquesne, RMU and St. Francis, Pa on KenPom. I'd venture to guess that has never happened before.

ADVERTISEMENT