ADVERTISEMENT

Our QB Room is Awful

Oct 25, 2021
Yarnell is at least competent. Not very athletic and not a very big arm, but competent. After that? Better put Yarnell in a bubble from now until the season. Holstein looks like he just graduated from Jurkovec U.

... not that the receivers can catch anyway. That was a tough watch, man.

Did they perform well to you? Is it better to complete more or less passes while throwing the football?
Does it matter that there was OL together as a unit?

Does it matter that neither team had a team of players that will be together in a regular game?

Does it matter that Holstein is still injured?

All-in-all, the Yarnell and Holstein were fine given the circumstances.

Does it matter that neither team had a team of players that will be together in a regular game?

Sure. All that matters. You asked how he could take anything away from that.

Reactions: cashisking884
Yarnell is at least competent. Not very athletic and not a very big arm, but competent. After that? Better put Yarnell in a bubble from now until the season. Holstein looks like he just graduated from Jurkovec U.

Holstein was always a project that the Bama staff was supposedly prepared to already give up on just a few months ago.

It’s not fair to have expected him to look like a complete 180 from that already. You have to give Bell time to work.
Holstein is just a lottery ticket the staff hopes pays off down the road.

Holstein has a hamstring pull. Yarnell looked fine once the OL blocked a little for him. It was an inter squad scrimmage.

Do some on here just wake up and start whining?

You said in another thread that you think Holstein will win the job based on what you saw yesterday. Your takes can't be real. They're literally the worst ove ever seen. I hope to goodness you're just trolling. Some of the stuff you've come up with in both sports in among the worst takes I've ever read. No offense.

Long John Silver's one-legged descendant could walk past you and you'd tell someone you think he could be an NFL punter. It's like nothing I've seen.

I'll say this, I went to the Spring game after the Peach Bowl. I knew it was just a spring game, but Slovis looked awful and it was obvious to most despite the lack of a game plan, missing players, etc. Even accounting for all that, Slovis still looked bad, and then that showed up in the regular season. So, I do think you can get a sense of what kind of baller someone is in any setting.

I just watched on TV yesterday but my impression of both Yarnell and Holtstein was just kind of 'meh'. I don't think either was terrible, but neither jumped of the screen either. They looked like QB that could get you anywhere from 5-7 to 8-4 record.

Holstein was always a project that the Bama staff was supposedly prepared to already give up on just a few months ago.

It’s not fair to have expected him to look like a complete 180 from that already. You have to give Bell time to work.
Holstein is just a lottery ticket the staff hopes pays off down the road.

He has zero chance of succeeding with that throwing motion. There's a reason he was the 5th string QB at Alabama and conversations involved moving him to tight end.

I'll say this, I went to the Spring game after the Peach Bowl. I knew it was just a spring game, but Slovis looked awful and it was obvious to most despite the lack of a game plan, missing players, etc. Even accounting for all that, Slovis still looked bad, and then that showed up in the regular season. So, I do think you can get a sense of what kind of baller someone is in any setting.

I just watched on TV yesterday but my impression of both Yarnell and Holtstein was just kind of 'meh'. I don't think either was terrible, but neither jumped of the screen either. They looked like QB that could get you anywhere from 5-7 to 8-4 record.

Pickett was on a completely different plane from everyone else at the Spring Games I've been to. You could tell he had "it." His balls just came out with a different zip than the other guys.

But even if these guys do improve - and color me skeptical that they do - it's still an awful QB room right now. And I suspect CV will transfer soon.

Iatgended bot yesterdays spring game and last Saturday’s live scrimmage. Yarnell is heads and shoulders better than his competition. 2 long td passes. He looks sharp. I also liked desmond reid and kenny johnson.

Yes, Yarnell is clearly the best and it's not close.

Just not too sure how he stacks up against ACC starters, as opposed to Pitt QBs. Even if I limit to to some of the lesser teams: Not sure I take him over guys like Haynes King, Anthony Colandrea, Karon Drones, Thomas Castellanos, etc.

I think with the D Line running through the o line like a hot knife through butter our offense is at a disadvantage. Additionally, the new offense was very vanilla and counters to what the defense was doing were available but not used. Each team could have put up 21 if the full offense was in IMHO.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
You said in another thread that you think Holstein will win the job based on what you saw yesterday. Your takes can't be real. They're literally the worst ove ever seen. I hope to goodness you're just trolling. Some of the stuff you've come up with in both sports in among the worst takes I've ever read. No offense.

Long John Silver's one-legged descendant could walk past you and you'd tell someone you think he could be an NFL punter. It's like nothing I've seen.
Wrong again!

If it matters, how could you judge any specific performance? You apparently missed the point.

I didn't miss anything. Your level of narcissism runs so deep you assume I don't understand you. I do, I just disagree.

Varying degrees of mattering. I still think you can take away Holstein has serious accuracy issues and Yarnell would fit better in other offenses not so heavily focused on RPO's.

I don't necessarily agree with the OP as Yarnell will be an above average college QB but I do agree the rest of the QB room isn't good.

I didn't miss anything. Your level of narcissism runs so deep you assume I don't understand you. I do, I just disagree.

Varying degrees of mattering. I still think you can take away Holstein has serious accuracy issues and Yarnell would fit better in other offenses not so heavily focused on RPO's.

I don't necessarily agree with the OP as Yarnell will be an above average college QB but I do agree the rest of the QB room isn't good.
Holstein looks like he has a strong arm. It even looks strong when he can get no body into it, throwing all arm.

He did not throw it well at all when on the move. He made very bad decisions on the move. Hoping the bad throws there were because of the injury.

Reactions: huey
I am hopeful that Varney can be at least as good starter. He looks like he can throw the ball fairly well and being as tall as he is can be important for field vision.

I do think Bell's offense would work best with a more athletic guy at QB, end of the day the most important things are if a guy 1) run the offense effectively 2) get the ball to his receivers. Gotta hope Bell will be able to use him to his strengths.

I think some of the spring shine for Holstein is due to his ascension to the second spot, but perhaps that is as a situation of Villy just not being that good. Not giving up on him, but just saying.

Having one viable QB is not ideal, but it is better than not having a viable QB. IF Varney can play, and stay healthy, then he should hold the spot down for the next two seasons, Giving Bell time to turn the room back over, and Dugger is a guy who still could develop, too.

Last edited:

It’s too early to give up on Holstein. He was clearly rushing his throws which could be expected of a QB with very little college football experience. His footwork needs to improve because it’s leaving his throws flat. Honestly, it looks like there’s some kind of lower body injury, but maybe it’s just a bad habit. His arm strength is NFL level.

Reactions: gary2
Yes, Yarnell is clearly the best and it's not close.

Just not too sure how he stacks up against ACC starters, as opposed to Pitt QBs. Even if I limit to to some of the lesser teams: Not sure I take him over guys like Haynes King, Anthony Colandrea, Karon Drones, Thomas Castellanos, etc.

To be fair, some of those guys aren’t lesser quality QBs, even if they aren’t on the top teams.

Drones and King are probably upper tier in the conference.

Its also a really down year for QBs after you get past Ward. So I don’t think even average QB play is going to stand out amongst a sea of averageness.

Last edited:
It’s too early to give up on Holstein. He was clearly rushing his throws which could be expected of a QB with very little college football experience. His footwork needs to improve because it’s leaving his throws flat. Honestly, it looks like there’s some kind of lower body injury, but maybe it’s just a bad habit. His arm strength is NFL level.
Agree

I am hopeful that Varney can be at least as good starter. He looks like he can throw the ball fairly well and being as tall as he is can be important for field vision.

I do think Bell's offense would work best with a more athletic guy at QB, end of the day the most important things are if a guy 1) run the offense effectively 2) get the ball to his receivers. Gotta hope Bell will be able to use him to his strengths.

I think some of the spring shine for Holstein is due to his ascension to the second spot, but perhaps that is as a situation of Villy just not being that good. Not giving up on him, but just saying.

Having one viable QB is not ideal, but it is better than not having a viable QB. IF Varney can play, and stay healthy, then he should hold the spot down for the next two seasons, Giving Bell time to turn the room back over, and Dugger is a guy who still could develop, too.

Problem is Narduzzi needs to turn things around pretty quickly from last year. Don't really have the luxury of 2-3 years to get players in to fit the new system, need more of a Matt Canada clicking in season one to occur here.

But the other thing is that 7-5 or even 6-6 without any embarrassing blowouts will buy Narduzzi some more time. Heather & company would never make a move if either of those results occur. but another 3-9 and things start getting interesting.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
Problem is Narduzzi needs to turn things around pretty quickly from last year. Don't really have the luxury of 2-3 years to get players in to fit the new system, need more of a Matt Canada clicking in season one to occur here.

But the other thing is that 7-5 or even 6-6 without any embarrassing blowouts will buy Narduzzi some more time. Heather & company would never make a move if either of those results occur. but another 3-9 and things start getting interesting.
Agreed.

Reactions: Parkview57
Our offense this year is going to give mediocre QB chance a higher ceiling than under cignetti pro offense. The gimmicky QB 3 step drop and fire to first or 2nd read only has given pitt defense fits before. I could see our QBs being mediocre but under a new less complicated system, it might allow them to have better succes even if they aren't that good.

Then just say you disagree rather than attack me. Your personal attack showed that you didn't understand.

Then just say you disagree rather than attack me. Your personal attack showed that you didn't understand.

That's what I was doing, disagreeing. Then you claimed I missed your point.

Was rather obvious.

Can we judge how a dude throws a football, or were they using different throwing motions for funsies?

I bet if I would have said they looked good the consensus would be that most agree and it could be a big season.
You keep saying that Holstein has a hitch in his motion. It seems the guys who evaluate players for a living disagree.

Elite 11 Showcase

Power Thrower

Not every player possesses the natural arm strength of Holstein. His arm strength matches his size very well. Whether throwing with or without the wind, Holstein’s arm allows him to throw into smaller windows than other quarterbacks. It’s not just upper-body strength either.

Holstein powers the football through his lower body, especially his hips, a key component of a quality signal caller. Holstein “catapults” the football forward, if one will, in terms of over-the-top throwing motion and the velocity that follows. Think of Holstein as possessing a fastball that keeps batters on guard. That’s also why his lower body allows him to possess balanced mechanics that allow him to make other types of throws.

Touch

Holstein showed the ability to throw a “level two” ball, i.e. a pass with some loft to get over the linebacker or cornerback, but touch down in the wide receiver’s hands before the safety would be able to reach the wide receiver.

When combined with Holstein’s arm strength, this is an impressive dual combination. Most power throwers, high school signal callers in particular, struggle with touch. After watching Holstein throw during the Indianapolis Elite 11, there’s no question he’s been coached quite well to this point about how and when to utilize a touch pass. One final area catches one’s attention, and that’s movement skills.

QBHitlist

ACCURACY:
This QB is almost always right on the mark. He has a very consistent delivery, allowing for minimal variation on his arm motion. Very good at picking up the timing and anticipation of his receivers routes.

ARM STRENGTH:
This QB is a legit strong-armed passer. Able to turn it up with increased acceleration throughout his delivery. His throws are made with high velocity, getting to his receivers in a hurry.

RELEASE:
Throws with a fully extended arm motion which comes out from over the top. A high release point, giving his passes added height. Very good throwing mechanics which are consistent on every delivery.

THROW ON RUN
Eli is most comfortable within the pocket but can also be quite dangerous out in the open field. He maintains the same consistency and velocity on his throws outside the pocket.

Our offense this year is going to give mediocre QB chance a higher ceiling than under cignetti pro offense. The gimmicky QB 3 step drop and fire to first or 2nd read only has given pitt defense fits before. I could see our QBs being mediocre but under a new less complicated system, it might allow them to have better succes even if they aren't that good.
This is what I was thinking as well. In college, you don't need a complicated offense to put up monster numbers. We just need to see strong offensive line play to give this new group of QBs a chance this year.

I bet CV hits the portal soon, but in his brief appearance yesterday he looked so awkward still , like he had never seen a football game before.

He should play a QB in an after school movie, cuz he looks the part in a practice throwing session , but the real game is not for him.

By comparison, I had never seen Diefenbach in action before and he at least looks like a college QB out there.

They should stop drafting the o-line have the ones and two rotate who they play with.

Reactions: Burgh15
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT