ADVERTISEMENT

Over under 5 ACC games

At this point I can't see next years team being much better than this years team. Were they to keep ellison and add a grad transfer big (or two) I could see them making some progress. The loss of arguably the three best players in Carr, Stewart and Luther is rough. JWF and Sham have some promise, Brown may advance to a level of competency, and the recruits are exciting, but overall they are still looking at a tough year unless they can get an improved front line.

Just imagine .
Thats what most posters do on this board. Some see 0--19.. thats why i ask.

Lol. I cant believe how much faith everyone has in Ellison ? A guy they have never seen play...

Reactions: zucca
Lol. I cant believe how much faith eveyone has in Ellison ? A guy they have never seen play...
4 wins is not impressive. I value a veteran presence on the roster though. He is also another quality option in case of injury or other players having an off day. While star players are the preference, multiple quality options are necessary for a team to have success.

(I have watched Ellison play for St. Johns in multiple games but did not have the opportunity to watch him practice last year.)

Lol. I cant believe how much faith everyone has in Ellison ? A guy they have never seen play...

-According to Kevin Stallings, Ellison was the best practice player last year. Although this is coming from the worst ACC coach in conference history.

-Season becomes a lot more interesting with Hyatt and a few other possible late additions

Reactions: PittCity
Addition with Capel alone.
I mean getting rid of Stallings alone means at least 5 Acc wins.

Last edited:
Next season.
I want a tally who believes and doesnt?

My conditional reply--

(1) Roster as is (w/wo Ellison): 13-19 (3-16 ACC)

(2) With a decent Grad-Transfer or JUCO defensive rebounder added: 15-17 (5-14 ACC)

(3) With a decent Grad-Transfer or JUCO defensive rebounder and a quality freshman PF or C added: 18-14 (7-12 ACC)

Last edited:
Reactions: rjjake and PittCity
So you guys better tell Sean Miller Fan...
This was the point of the whole thead. ... Capel still has 4 months.

We will beat teams that are slow and unprepared. Capel will have them coached up.

Last edited:
I felt all season long that although our bench was young and perhaps over matched, the coaching didn't help - AT ALL. Swap out the same players with this current set of coaches and I easily see Pitt winning a few of those games.

So - OVER.

So we go 0-18 in the regular season and then win three games in the ACC tournament before losing in the semi-finals?

Oops--Slipped on my math--0-19 still on the brain. Edited it--I meant to have it 3-16 ACC (3 regular season wins and an ACC tourney 1st round loss).

However, it would be nice to see a team that actually improves enough during the regular season that it gets a couple of ACC tourney wins.

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
Too early to tell. Need to see the entire roster.

Yep.

I tend to think that all things being even, HCJC can pull a couple wins out, but have to see how he fills the roster out.

One side note in this discussion, leaving all the other factors associated with Stallings aside, HCJC is an ACC guy, played in the league and coached there under coach K the last seven seasons. He knows the ACC, the coaches, the teams, is super competitive and that gives him an edge over Stallings in his first season.

Don't see how anyone can predict one way or the other right now.

Once the roster is set then I will give an opinion

There is truth to what you say, but 5 wins is a low bar. If nothing changed I would expect no less than 6-7 wins out of Stallings. We endured a lousy season with some comfort that it would be better the following year(s). I expect the same with Capel.

Note to coach: Continue to fill the gaps and coach em up.

There is truth to what you say, but 5 wins is a low bar. If nothing changed I would expect no less than 6-7 wins out of Stallings. We endured a lousy season with some comfort that it would be better the following year(s). I expect the same with Capel.

I have to contend that clearly there was zero comfort or else Stallings would still be the HC.

I will revise my answer as the roster shapes up more. But for the pointless fun of guessing, I'd say 4 wins. Which I would be happy with considering how trash last year was.

Reactions: Jpripper88

Hopefully your KS expectations were really only what you wanted and not what you realistic believed he would actually accomplish.

I have to contend that clearly there was zero comfort or else Stallings would still be the HC.

It's not about Stallings. Had everyone stayed, this team would have been better. Anything less than marked improvement would be unacceptable. I would gladly join the run him out of town crowd if we didn't start putting numbers in the win column.

I don't think it's unfair to hold Capel, by all accounts a much better recruiter and coach, to the same standard.

It's not about Stallings. Had everyone stayed, this team would have been better. Anything less than marked improvement would be unacceptable. I would gladly join the run him out of town crowd if we didn't start putting numbers in the win column.

I don't think it's unfair to put Capel, by all accounts a much better recruiter and coach, to the same standard.

If Capel regresses from 4 ACC wins his first year to 0 (!) his second, he will meet his own run 'em out of town crowd.

Thankfully that will not happen.

Reactions: Jpripper88
Lol. Yet you're predicting wins based on two adds that nobody has seen play at the college level, with a roster that isn't even yet completed...

Reactions: Chescat
Roster doesn't have to be completed yet. Capel will get his guys .
Like I said just losing Stallings is pretty much 5 wins in itself.

If Capel goes 7-11 with this roster, they should build a statue. Remember we are still in the ACC.
I don't think the roster is that bad though. I could see a 6-12 season. Plus coaching plays a huge part, I think we'll see an improved Terrell brown and JWF not chucking up ridiculous 3s all night long. I'm not gonna call for his head if we go 3-15, I just don't think that will happen.

ADVERTISEMENT