ADVERTISEMENT

Packer and Durham. ACCN talk show.

Zeldas Open Roof

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 18, 2018
A lot of Pitt talk. Pickett, can he be the man. Nothing earth shattering, stuff we know but overall somewhat positive talk.

They said we are a top 1/2 coastal team. I guess that’s a compliment. They actually are talking a lot more in depth than I assumed. Talked about ys doing well in Florida with recruiting.

These guys know more about our squad than every journalist / media member in this city other than CP, Jim and maybe the two beAt writers. I’m not even sure about our beat writers. Wendy bell excluded of course.

A lot of Pitt talk. Pickett, can he be the man. Nothing earth shattering, stuff we know but overall somewhat positive talk.

They said we are a top 1/2 coastal team. I guess that’s a compliment. They actually are talking a lot more in depth than I assumed. Talked about ys doing well in Florida with recruiting.

These guys know more about our squad than every journalist / media member in this city other than CP, Jim and maybe the two beAt writers. I’m not even sure about our beat writers. Wendy bell excluded of course.

Top half of the coastal. That's...something.

Yeah, I kinda got the same impression listening to them. They definitely are
pushing the idea that UVA is probably the best in the division, but they seem
to think we also can be pretty good. So far it appears that the ACC Network
is fairly objective in their reporting and analysis.
Listening to everything being shown and said, you can't help but learn a lot
about all the teams in the conference.

Yeah, I kinda got the same impression listening to them. They definitely are
pushing the idea that UVA is probably the best in the division, but they seem
to think we also can be pretty good. So far it appears that the ACC Network
is fairly objective in their reporting and analysis.
Listening to everything being shown and said, you can't help but learn a lot
about all the teams in the conference.
I have been listening to their show on Sirius XM ACC channel for a few years now. These guys are good and entertaining. Durham broadcasts football and hoops so he has a really good inside knowledge of every school. I know some don’t care for the Good Ole Boy ACC stuff, but I actually enjoy the historical ACC references and stories they offer having grown up around the conference. If you are new to the show, I think you will like it.

Reactions: Bethlehemjohn
I was gonna start a new post, but then I remembered that somebody else had already created one.

I'm liking the show. I watch a little of it before I head out to work in the morning.

Pitt gets a lot of coverage and the show seems pretty balanced to me in regards to covering all the schools.

Other than the historical ACC coverage it is pretty balanced and not just a tobacco road, NC discussion.

Saw this week that they just got some Pitt gear in the basement with a helmet, Conner bobblehead, and they also mentioned that they had gloves too.

Reactions: ThePanthers
Amazing that two guys from Charlotte, NC know more and report more about Pitt Athletics than any of the local yellow journalists.(unless it’s bad news of course)
Because they do their homework and look up stuff that’s current. I had some yinzers (who don’t know the difference between UVA and VT) tell me that the uva loss was bad because they suck and that VT will blow pitt out this year and that pitt should blow out UCF, who they haven’t heard of. This area doesn’t exactly follow college football.

Reactions: persp and pitt-girl
Amazing that two guys from Charlotte, NC know more and report more about Pitt Athletics than any of the local yellow journalists.(unless it’s bad news of course)
I think you mean local "black/yellow" journalists.

Because they do their homework and look up stuff that’s current. I had some yinzers (who don’t know the difference between UVA and VT) tell me that the uva loss was bad because they suck and that VT will blow pitt out this year and that pitt should blow out UCF, who they haven’t heard of. This area doesn’t exactly follow college football.

I think its more that they are legit diehard ACC fans that just happen to cover ACC sports for a living. Making Steeler and Penguin fans (local journalists) write about or talk about Pitt is a chore for them.

Reactions: Rayz5089

Let's talk about something important like your avatar. What the hell is that?

They are two guys that have been around for a while.

They also have a production staff in Bristol to assist. I like that the show is segmented and organized. They're not just doing random talk or going off random call in topics for the entire show.

That's nice and all..... but 60% of the ACC footprint cannot watch them because Comcast hasn't picked up the ACCN.

Until Comcast picks them up, the channel has no chance for success.

That's nice and all..... but 60% of the ACC footprint cannot watch them because Comcast hasn't picked up the ACCN.

Yeah, yeah...I figured one of you would eventually bring that up.

However, it's 2019 and not 1989, there are numerous options available. Explore them.

Yeah, yeah...I figured one of you would eventually bring that up.

However, it's 2019 and not 1989, there are numerous options available. Explore them.
I'm able to watch ACCN. This isn't about me.

But 60% of the eastern seaboard, the ACC footprint, doesn't get the ACCN.... and the channel won't succeed until it does.

100% of the ACC footprint has the potential to access the ACC network, and the ACC network is one of the most successful channel launches of all time. Not just of sports networks, of all networks.

But yeah, no chance for success.

Reactions: dave97 and cease10
100% of the ACC footprint has the potential to access the ACC network, and the ACC network is one of the most successful channel launches of all time. Not just of sports networks, of all networks.

This is true.

It's also true that Comcast is on the clock. They have a few years to drag it out if they choose to, but they'll eventually bend the knee to the mouse house and the longer they wait to do it the more it will hurt.

The ACCN rollout was absolutely successful, probably more than most so called experts could have predicted in the age of streaming options.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
This is true.

It's also true that Comcast is on the clock. They have a few years to drag it out if they choose to, but they'll eventually bend the knee to the mouse house and the longer they wait to do it the more it will hurt.

The ACCN rollout was absolutely successful, probably more than most so called experts could have predicted in the age of streaming options.

According to the FSU's AD and Associate AD, the ACCN is in over 40 million households, ahead of where they projected it would be, and exceeded the SECN's launch: https://www.tallahassee.com/story/s...u-florida-state-football-nc-state/2372959001/

While Comcast remains out, the early returns on subscriber numbers are overwhelmingly positive. Coburn said that the ACC Network is in over 40 million households -- well over the launch numbers for the SEC Network and other conference networks -- and that new deals with AT&T U-Verse and DIRECTV seem imminent.

"By every measure that (the ACC and ESPN) had in place, we're past where they thought we'd be at this time in terms of subscriptions," Dennard said.

"I know a lot of the focus is on what carrier isn't signed up yet, but there are a lot of successes to celebrate, specifically the number of households we're in a month in from the launch date. It blew everything out of the water in terms of expectations.

Reactions: cease10
It’s Joe Magarac. The legendary mythical steel worker. You can look it up on Google. I worked my way through Pitt by laboring at the J&L Alliquippa steel works in the early 1970s.
He was big time lore in the Mon Valley. I worked in Duquesne and Braddock while at Pitt, and JM was the Paul Bunyan of the steel industry.

Reactions: Rayz5089

When 60% of your target audience has to change providers to access you, you're not going to be a success.

Now... if Comcast finally DOES pick up the ACCN... then it will achieve success.

When 60% of your target audience has to change providers to access you, you're not going to be a success.

Now... if Comcast finally DOES pick up the ACCN... then it will achieve success.

LOL, that's not true at all.

Reactions: dave97

The fact that you are so damn sure about something that you are completely, obviously wrong about is kind of funny.

Well, success is not binary. The network is rolled out to a good number of carriers, which is certainly better fewer. So that's success, relative to what might have been expected.

But without the Big Cahuna (Comcast), they can't maximize advertising rates, as well as that additional revenue for the carriage.

Once that happens, they'll be more of a success, relative to today.

Still if it goes as long as two more years, that's two long years of those revenues they aren't getting back.

I think the ACCN and Comcast will settle when basketball conference play comes along, though. That's the bread and butter content of the conference. The football is mostly feces.

Reactions: UPitt '89
According to the FSU's AD and Associate AD, the ACCN is in over 40 million households, ahead of where they projected it would be, and exceeded the SECN's launch: https://www.tallahassee.com/story/s...u-florida-state-football-nc-state/2372959001/

While Comcast remains out, the early returns on subscriber numbers are overwhelmingly positive. Coburn said that the ACC Network is in over 40 million households -- well over the launch numbers for the SEC Network and other conference networks -- and that new deals with AT&T U-Verse and DIRECTV seem imminent.

"By every measure that (the ACC and ESPN) had in place, we're past where they thought we'd be at this time in terms of subscriptions," Dennard said.

"I know a lot of the focus is on what carrier isn't signed up yet, but there are a lot of successes to celebrate, specifically the number of households we're in a month in from the launch date. It blew everything out of the water in terms of expectations.
Wow. That is actually really surprising. I don’t recall anyone not carrying the SEC Network at launch, maybe I’m wrong?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT