ADVERTISEMENT

Paris Ford quits

The weekend after thanksgiving there will be many more who opt out. Players that have a draft grade in the first 4 rounds are going to pack it in. Maybe they played 8 or 9 games already for a team that is going to be 7- 4 or 6-5. They don’t care about a meaningless bowl game either. Even the big 10 teams will have opt outs after 4 or 5 games. That’s the season of Covid

The weekend after thanksgiving there will be many more who opt out. Players that have a draft grade in the first 4 rounds are going to pack it in. Maybe they played 8 or 9 games already for a team that is going to be 7- 4 or 6-5. They don’t care about a meaningless bowl game either. Even the big 10 teams will have opt outs after 4 or 5 games. That’s the season of Covid
What the hell is so special about playing in some cornfield in Iowa or Illinois or Nebraska over an SEC game or ACC game?

Seems like a mistake to me, as I can't see him being drafted in the first two days based on his performance this year, plus he's never been accused of being an Isaac Einstein.

The irony in this statement being made from someone whose username is “recruitsreadtheseboards” is just classic....
Please don't think I am mad or upset or angry with Ford. I am not. But I am being honest, if Paris Ford played for Temple, would any of us care? No. The only reason why any of us know who he is and follow him is because he plays football for Pitt. Once that is done, well.......he kind of just fades into the background.

Now is this a good thing? No, not for this sport! But this sport needs changed, these players need some compensation. I don't care about Title IX and things like that, football is a multi million business.

Reactions: APanther
If he wasn’t planning on being at Pitt in 2021, there’s no reason at all to finish 2020. Sucks, but it’s the right move for him personally. Unfortunately it leaves Pitt extremely thin at safety now, but not his fault nobody was recruited behind him.
I suspect there's a bigger picture to why he's bagging it. And for the record, I am not a Narduzzi supporter, he lost me a long time ago, but I'm not on Ford's side on this one. He is the classic case of million dollar talent, 10 cent head, and much of this season he has played out of control and has hurt his team. For every outstanding play he makes he blows 3 routine ones--and his personal foul track record speaks for itself. this season is lost anyway, so good riddance. Paris had better grow up real quick if he wants to last at the next level.

I dont think it has anything to do with the program. This is happening all over the country.

Agree. Unfortunately it’s a trend that’s going to continue throughout CFB, too. This and the transfer portal rule changes that will allow 1 time transfers with no eligibility penalty are going to lead to LOADS of roster movement in CFB. For ALL programs IMO.

Reactions: ThePanthers
So, now that his career is over - who had the better one, more imapactful -

Paris Ford or Ramon Walker?

Had high hope for Paris, and he certainly flashed a good bit of talent, but there is no contest here. Ramon Walker was far more impactful.

Poor decision by Ford. He's pouting about being benched. Seems like he never wanted to play this year, so maybe he should have opted out in the beginning of the year.

Bullshit. I can blame the kid. Look, their sole reason why I follow them is to play winning football for my team. Sorry, being brutally honest here. While I don't root for them to fail, if they aren't playing for my team, I could care less about them. Seriously. And all of this, "well he is protecting himself so he can get paid" and that's fine and understandable, but he is not making my life any better (or worse) with him or without him. The only reason why I would care about Paris Ford is because he played football at Pitt. Unless he is planning to share some of his NFL $$$, or be drafted by the Steelers, I could care less what happens to him now.

What an idiotic post!! So screw the kids if they are not entertaining you as a part of your favorite team? I care about and root for all these kids that put on the Pitt uniform during and after they leave the university. Paris doesn't owe you nor anyone else anything - he made a decision based on what he feels is best for him and his family. I will be rooting like hell he get's drafted and makes a ton of money!

Please don't think I am mad or upset or angry with Ford. I am not. But I am being honest, if Paris Ford played for Temple, would any of us care? No. The only reason why any of us know who he is and follow him is because he plays football for Pitt. Once that is done, well.......he kind of just fades into the background.

Now is this a good thing? No, not for this sport! But this sport needs changed, these players need some compensation. I don't care about Title IX and things like that, football is a multi million business.
I get what you mean, but he’s going to the NFL. He will be a former Panther in the league. So he won’t exactly be fading into the background.

Regardless of how his career ended here, we should want him to do well. Even if it’s for selfish fan reasons, generally guys doing well in the league should help your school in recruiting.

What an idiotic post!! So screw the kids if they are not entertaining you as a part of your favorite team? I care about and root for all these kids that put on the Pitt uniform during and after they leave the university. Paris doesn't owe you nor anyone else anything - he made a decision based on what he feels is best for him and his family. I will be rooting like hell he get's drafted and makes a ton of money!
And that's fine by you. But if Paris Ford went to Temple, or was just say a Chem Eng student at Pitt, would you care about him?

I get what you mean, but he’s going to the NFL. He will be a former Panther in the league. So he won’t exactly be fading into the background.

Regardless of how his career ended here, we should want him to do well. Even if it’s for selfish fan reasons, generally guys doing well in the league should help your school in recruiting.
You would think......I am still waiting for the trickle down effect.

Reactions: Pittx9
Had high hope for Paris, and he certainly flashed a good bit of talent, but there is no contest here. Ramon Walker was far more impactful.

Poor decision by Ford. He's pouting about being benched. Seems like he never wanted to play this year, so maybe he should have opted out in the beginning of the year.

This seems to be the issue. He did something to piss off HCPN and got benched the 2nd half of ND. So he says screw it and packs it in.

Reactions: revampedpanthers
Bullshit. I can blame the kid. Look, their sole reason why I follow them is to play winning football for my team. Sorry, being brutally honest here. While I don't root for them to fail, if they aren't playing for my team, I could care less about them. Seriously. And all of this, "well he is protecting himself so he can get paid" and that's fine and understandable, but he is not making my life any better (or worse) with him or without him. The only reason why I would care about Paris Ford is because he played football at Pitt. Unless he is planning to share some of his NFL $$$, or be drafted by the Steelers, I could care less what happens to him now.

How much less could you care?

Quits???

he is protecting himself. Not quitting. The only thing that’s bad is he was probably on pace to have some first team all American awards
I can't imagine how anyone that has watched him this season could possibly think he'd be in line for post-season AA. He has missed more assignments than Jeff Spicoli.

learning-about-cuba-having-some-food.jpg

I suspect there's a bigger picture to why he's bagging it. And for the record, I am not a Narduzzi supporter, he lost me a long time ago, but I'm not on Ford's side on this one. He is the classic case of million dollar talent, 10 cent head, and much of this season he has played out of control and has hurt his team. For every outstanding play he makes he blows 3 routine ones--and his personal foul track record speaks for itself. this season is lost anyway, so good riddance. Paris had better grow up real quick if he wants to last at the next level.
I don’t disagree with anything you said. This isn’t a normal season however. Maybe he is using it as a cop-out, but why continue to play for this team during a pandemic?

It’s very possible Narduzzi saw no reason to keep one of his best players on the field during a blowout. And it’s very possible Ford was here this season only to put more film on tape for scouts to see. So he got mad and figured if he’s gonna be on the bench, why even stay with the team? But idk that for sure, I can only go by the facts of the situation... which by looking at I can’t find a single reason why he should play out this season.

First of all I wish him well. However his play this year was uneven. But it begs the question why did we only get about 18 or so starts out of him. I don’t knowwhathappened his first two years on campus but I kept hearing how good he was in practice but not ever seeing the field.Then this staff tried him at corner which was another mistake. Even when we do somehow manage to recruit four stars a number of them don’t pan out or underachieve for whatever reason. Just another year of disappointment for we fans.

Reactions: Pittisit4me
Sitting the rest of the year will not help his draft status. If he thinks it will he is sadly mistaken. He must think he has had a stellar year so far.
He probably realizes that if he stays and continues to play like he has to date, that it will HURT his draft status even MORE.

First of all I wish him well. However his play this year was uneven. But it begs the question why did we only get about 18 or so starts out of him. I don’t knowwhathappened his first two years on campus but I kept hearing how good he was in practice but not ever seeing the field.Then this staff tried him at corner which was another mistake. Even when we do somehow manage to recruit four stars a number of them don’t pan out or underachieve for whatever reason. Just another year of disappointment for we fans.
I have the same questions about his first two years of eligibility. i suspect the coaches struggled with him that whole time.

As we know well Narduzzi isn't one to adapt his way of doing things to find a way to get the max out of his best athletes. No wonder he hated Canada.

As we know well Narduzzi isn't one to adapt his way of doing things to find a way to get the max out of his best athletes. No wonder he hated Canada.
Narduzzi hated Canada? Boy I wish people that hated me offered me a $1 million salary like Narduzzi did to Canada.

If he wasn’t planning on being at Pitt in 2021, there’s no reason at all to finish 2020. Sucks, but it’s the right move for him personally. Unfortunately it leaves Pitt extremely thin at safety now, but not his fault nobody was recruited behind him.
He quit on his team mates. If he opted out to start no biggie, but at this point its quitting on his team.

Yea, I have always said that guys should skip their junior years if they are going to be high picks to avoid injury and should opt out of the remainder of their final year once there was nothing to play for. So, in theory, I think its a good move. Forget COVID, why risk injury to maybe play earn a bid in the Birmingham Bowl. That said, he hasn't been good this year and in my opinion, has slipped to 4th-6th Round so maybe he needed to do more but I'm no Todd McShay. I'm only a college basketball expert.
I guess no one believes you should finish what you startes anymore. I would have no problem with him sitting out this or any other year. Hell i can even buy the arguement that if you are a guaranteed 1st,maybe even a second, that you should sit out. But once yoj start you should finish. If he had a nagging injury then sure say he is out for the year. But you still show up at games and cheer your teammates on.

Seems like a mistake to me, as I can't see him being drafted in the first two days based on his performance this year, plus he's never been accused of being an Isaac Einstein.
Playing now was not going to move him up or down, provided he didnt get injuried. I could see some nfl teams seeing him quit now as a negative, especially if it has something to do with him being benched in the game prior. For a guy who has some question marks previously this could cause him to fall. I can guarantee it will for teams like the steelers and pats

Smart move by Ford. Nothing to gain. Get out with health and team-leading stats.

The only bad look is for Narsnoozi. We can now be sure behind the scenes he has lost this team.

Ford completely quit on the team. Once the season starts you have committed to your team that you are going to make every effort to help the team for the season. He quit once they lost a few games which doesn't show well for his maturity. If Pitt was 7-0 or even 5-2 would he have quit?

Why should the team's record matter on whether you continue playing or not?

The selfish in me thinks Ford is a quitter and abandoned his teammates.

The pragmatic in me thinks 4 more games on tape wont do as much for his future as getting ready for the combines.

No one knows where Ford will get drafted. If he works now, shows up at the combines and impresses he made himself some money.

He made the right choice for himself.

Reactions: bubba31
agree, this season is going nowhere. Why risk it. But does this setup a new trend? We saw players opting out of bowl games, now will we see second half of seasons?
It's the modern mentality. ONLY care about the future! If you're not first you're last, 0-16 is better than losing the wild card game--- draft pick you know.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT