ADVERTISEMENT

Parker Stewart - New Commit

Really nice get this late in the game. Probably the second best player in this class after Carr and a guy who can probably start and not get embarrassed from day one.

Not the greatest athlete in the world but his shooting mechanics are top notch and has a coach's son's understanding of the game.

Stewart looks to be a legitimate recruit, capable of playing at the ACC level. I base this on
his list of offers. Last week's signee also looks legit, and hopefully we're looking at more
of the same. Watching what's happening, my sense is that Stallings is looking for a
strong group of players for 2018 (even if they're young). If he can add a few more of
this caliber along with a legitimate Big or two, then we might see a presentable (although
very young) team in 2018.

As far as 2017, I don't have much hope unless Stallings has one or two Bigs (grad transfers)
somewhere up his sleeve.

Very good late pick up for 2017. Nice addition.

Last two pick ups have been promising. Hopefully that continues here moving forward.

Very nice pickup.

So for the experts, with this pickup, would you expect 1 more big man (who is more than just serviceable) for this class to be a success? Do you think it already is? Or even with a solid big man, is this a disaster?

Very nice pickup.

So for the experts, with this pickup, would you expect 1 more big man (who is more than just serviceable) for this class to be a success? Do you think it already is? Or even with a solid big man, is this a disaster?

I think its been a successful class. It is a top 50 class with no real reaches, even if Peace is a project. We needed to lay a new foundation for the future and I think that has been done. 2017-18 was always going to be a struggle but I will at least enjoy seeing what these guys bring and how quickly they can improve.

Land a solid big man and I think it goes from being a solid class to a really good one. I keep hearing about a 6'10" German kid being a possibility. Does anyone know his name?

Reactions: CbgPanther
I'd say picking up Parker takes away some of the sting of Aaron Thompson's decommitment. I think Thompson may have been rated a little higher but once you get to that range in the rankings, there isn't much spread and it becomes a wait n see how they actually look on the court at the Div 1college level and how they develop over time.

Also don't know if they would have landed Parker if Aaron was still in the fold.

As many have said, sure would be good to bring in at least 1 more decent big for next year now.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
I think its been a successful class. It is a top 50 class with no real reaches, even if Peace is a project. We needed to lay a new foundation for the future and I think that has been done. 2017-18 was always going to be a struggle but I will at least enjoy seeing what these guys bring and how quickly they can improve.

Land a solid big man and I think it goes from being a solid class to a really good one. I keep hearing about a 6'10" German kid being a possibility. Does anyone know his name?
Hopefully, they're talking about Detlef Schrempf. We may need him!

I've always been a wait and see with Stallings. I feel like he deserved a few years before everyone started labeling him a bust. Although I understand why people would do that considering he was following the best head basketball coach Pitt ever had.

But I have to admit I was pretty worried the past few months...it was not looking pretty. It takes a lot of guts to turnover that much roster and then wait on better recruits this late in the season.

So I'm glad to see him have some late success in bringing in strong recruits for next year and already start strong for 2019. I think we can all agree it would be best for him to have success now. Waiting for him to crash and burn and then hope someone else can come in and right the ship would be horrible and potentially cause long-term damage. Every program goes through a down year or two. But if they can compete somewhat next year and then look like a competitor again in 2019 that would be awesome.

At 236 by 24/7, he's one of the lowest rated recruits we've brought in but his offer sheet is one of the most impressive we've had in a decade.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
One of my favorites from the Pacers and Sonics teams of the 90s. Probably a little undersized for what we need though, lol.
Haha - you asked for a 6'10" German guy and that's just what he is! I used to love the Sonics growing up. I had their Starter jacket, which was a very rare one to have in Eastern PA. Shawn Kemp was my favorite player. And I would always be Seattle in NBA Jam on Genesis. Kemp would bring the highlight jams and Detlef would fill it up from straight away deep.

Its interesting that with all of these comments, no one has mentioned the kid's abilities...so I will.

He's a big-time shooter.

Think about that for a second. When is the last time that a Pitt recruit was described that way? For the younger members of this board, their answer is 'not in my lifetime.'

Virtually every Howland/Dixon recruit had the same bio: tough, defensive-minded, team player, coachable...needs to improve his jump shot.

Stewart is a lights out shooter, averaged 27 ppg this year.

I don't know how many games we'll win this year, or next year, but it will fun and interesting at least to watch a different brand of basketball for Pitt. I loved the tough defensive style that Dixon played, but in the last few years when his players become marginally better offensively, and significantly worse defensively, it became painful and dull to watch.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT