ADVERTISEMENT

Partridge, DL questions…

4upmc

Junior
Gold Member
Nov 13, 2017
Before some OVERREACT, I am a BIG Partridge fan as he’s been the best coach PN hired. CP and Sanders are the assistants we can’t afford to lose. Sanders is our next DC and IMO will be a D1 head coach some day.

DL recruiting: Kancey, Jones, Weaver and Twyman the best DL to play for Partridge since he arrived back at Pitt in 2017. Only Kancey was recruited by Partridge.

Weaver was brought in be Salem, as he recruited south FL before CP got here. Jones and Twyman were brought in by a guy everyone hates, Powell lol. BTW I’m ready for him to move on as well.

The next best DL CP brought in was Alexandre. He was the lead for Johnson who has been a bust.

Our best prospect Samuel O was a Salem guy. BTW Salem was the lead for 4 star Edwards as well. And funny as it sounds CP has missed on quite a few of his evaluations… guys like Temple, Belgrave, Samuel Williams etc. All coaches miss but check out this interesting nugget: Weaver, Jones, Twyman, Kancey, Camp, Watts, Alexandre, Haba, these were the core guys in CPs best DLs. Most were brought in before CP came back and he was only the lead for Kancey and Alexandre. This shows he can develop talent but (unpopular opinion) he needs to recruit better.

I thought Hayes was going to be a star, but just solid at best so far. Johnson-bust, Donald- nothing to this point (Should’ve never been a 4-star we know it’s because of his name), Ford-bust. Hell our best DL so far has been Jules who was a Powell recruit.

To sum up my marathon post. Our DL has been poor this year. It’s clear CP can coach and develop talent. And once in awhile bring in a top talent (Kancey). But even he can’t make good players out of JAGs or less than JAGs. Believe it or not CP has to recruit much better. Needs to hit the portal for 2 to 3 DL going into next year.

Thoughts? (That’s my last topic of the night haha)

Last edited:
Reactions: cashisking884
In regards to Powell and Salem, I have to laugh. You are soooo right. Everyone wants to get rid of Powell and Salem, but they’re Pitt’s best recruiters. LOL!

As far as CP is concerned, I agree that the DL has lost some punch this season. The most talented players are the underclass men. But they don’t play them more because they are “inexperienced”. “They don’t give them the best chance at winning” LOL! The season is over. Play them more now or risk losing them to the transfer portal!!!! It’s a whole different ballgame these days. “Play me or I will transfer.”

Reactions: Jeffburgh and 4upmc
In regards to Powell and Salem, I have to laugh. You are soooo right. Everyone wants to get rid of Powell and Salem, but they’re Pitt’s best recruiters. LOL!

As far as CP is concerned, I agree that the DL has lost some punch this season. The most talented players are the underclass men. But they don’t play them more because they are “inexperienced”. “They don’t give them the best chance at winning” LOL! The season is over. Play them more now or risk losing them to the transfer portal!!!! It’s a whole different ballgame these days. “Play me or I will transfer.”
No assistant coach has more trust from PN than CP, there’s a reason he’s the assistant head coach. And with his freedom he makes all the decisions on PT with the DL. To me it’s insane Samuel O, by far the guy with the most talent and upside isn’t playing more. He needs to start over Temple. I don’t care if he blows a few assignments because as you said the season is over.

This kid was highly recruited and has flashed enough that many big name teams will try to take him from Pitt in this new transfer era. CP needs to start him and play him a ton of reps the rest of the year.

No assistant coach has more trust from PN than CP, there’s a reason he’s the assistant head coach. And with his freedom he makes all the decisions on PT with the DL. To me it’s insane Samuel O, by far the guy with the most talent and upside isn’t playing more. He needs to start over Temple. I don’t care if he blows a few assignments because as you said the season is over.

This kid was highly recruited and has flashed enough that many big name teams will try to take him from Pitt in this new transfer era. CP needs to start him and play him a ton of reps the rest of the year.
Exactly! Who cares if we win another game? Does 4-8 look better than 3-9? No!

Play for the future…

Reactions: Farnox and 4upmc
Yes you have to play Samuel O, Fitz (when healthy), give Neal 4 games of PT. Unless we bring in some big time transfer DT’s Fitz and Neal are going to be needed next year. Right now Jules is all we have with real game experience coming back at DT.

Reactions: CCHS82
To be fair, Charlie also helps recruit a lot of the other guys we get from Florida that don't play DL.

Reactions: 4upmc
To be fair, Charlie also helps recruit a lot of the other guys we get from Florida that don't play DL.
True. We had 7 last year CP was lead on 3, Salem 2 and Sanders 2 with Underwood recruiting there as well.

Just takes one impact guy to make a huge difference on the DL and free up others. Maybe it’s Sam O or one of the DTs we are bringing in

To sum up my marathon post. Our DL has been poor this year. It’s clear CP can coach and develop talent. And once in awhile bring in a top talent (Kancey). But even he can’t make good players out of JAGs or less than JAGs. Believe it or not CP has to recruit much better. Needs to hit the portal for 2 to 3 DL going into next year.

Took some guts to post that about CP, who is basically
highly regarded on this board. As you said, he's great
at developing players. My take is, if Donald, Johnson,
and some of the others don't develop under CP, then
they can't be developed at all.

As for recruiting, he does add to the overall success we
have in Florida. Great as many of us think he is, getting
the 4 and 5 star recruits here is a real task, even for a coach
with his pedigree. Those recruits are looking at the ND,s,
Ohio ST's, Michigans of the college world. Those types
of teams have successful D. Linemen. How many of
those recruits will select Pitt over those schools
because of CP?...... Some maybe. I don't know how
much more he can do, even with his name and reputation.

Took some guts to post that about CP, who is basically
highly regarded on this board. As you said, he's great
at developing players. My take is, if Donald, Johnson,
and some of the others don't develop under CP, then
they can't be developed at all.

As for recruiting, he does add to the overall success we
have in Florida. Great as many of us think he is, getting
the 4 and 5 star recruits here is a real task, even for a coach
with his pedigree. Those recruits are looking at the ND,s,
Ohio ST's, Michigans of the college world. Those types
of teams have successful D. Linemen. How many of
those recruits will select Pitt over those schools
because of CP?...... Some maybe. I don't know how
much more he can do, even with his name and reputation.
IDK, it’s not like I’m taking a shot at him. I’m a big CP supporter he’s been the best hire PN has ever made. He’s developed guys like Jones and Kancey who clearly had talent but weren’t close to NFL locks when they arrived. He’s improved lesser guys, etc.

But even he can do better, a few examples:

Hayes- IMO he has lots of talent. May not have the sacks but has a bunch of pressures. He also leads the team in missed tackles. Uses the same pass rush move almost every time. He really flashed in the Miami game but hasn’t developed in a year we needed him. CP has talked about his talent, but hasn’t seemed to reach him yet…

Sam O- most frustrating for me. His first step is tremendous, he’s our most gifted DL. If he were sitting behind Weaver and Jones I would understand the lack of PT. He showed his talent vs LVille and still didn’t play enough that game or vs WF. It’s a lost year and as was said teams will come after him. Develop and play him or risk losing him to the portal but instead CP gives guys like Temple more PT than him which makes no sense.

As far as recruiting he did a great job getting a talent like Kancey and several others. I don’t expect him or any coach to consistently beat out OSU, FSU, etc for 4 star FL recruits. No one expects 5 stars. That’s not fair to him. But with the success he’s had at Pitt and other places, I think he could turn around this line fairly quickly hitting the portal this year and selling what he’s done with guys like Kancey, Jones and Weaver. Basically “look I got these guys to the NFL and I can help develop you the same.”

I’m sure next year when the DL hopefully bounces back and is dominating again…some dope will bring up this post and say look you were an idiot, hating on our top assistant. Not hating on him at all, he’s been great since he returned, but it’s been a bad year for the team and DL. Everyone can do better even our top assistant.

Last edited:
Isn't it all sort of a collaborative effort? Like sure - you have a guy in charge of a specific region. But those recruits are also meeting with their position coach, and all offers are either okayed or ixnayed by Pat Narduzzi. So if Salem identifies at DT in New Jersey, my understanding is that Narduzzi has to approve the offer for it to move to the next step... and then that recruit is going to come in and meet with Patridge, Narduzzi, and other staff. So they're all kind of playing a role in the process, regardless of the fact that Salem might be the one texting him more often or whatever else.

I feel like some of this is just the luck of whomever pops up in a particular region. I don't know.

Last edited:
Coach Partridge will have some good DL prospects comin in next year with Whittington, Brewu, Edwards, Yuhas and Crothers so there is potential with the young DL for the future.

Reactions: singregardless
Before some OVERREACT, I am a BIG Partridge fan as he’s been the best coach PN hired. CP and Sanders are the assistants we can’t afford to lose. Sanders is our next DC and IMO will be a D1 head coach some day.

DL recruiting: Kancey, Jones, Weaver and Twyman the best DL to play for Partridge since he arrived back at Pitt in 2017. Only Kancey was recruited by Partridge.

Weaver was brought in be Salem, as he recruited south FL before CP got here. Jones and Twyman were brought in by a guy everyone hates, Powell lol. BTW I’m ready for him to move on as well.

The next best DL CP brought in was Alexandre. He was the lead for Johnson who has been a bust.

Our best prospect Samuel O was a Salem guy. BTW Salem was the lead for 4 star Edwards as well. And funny as it sounds CP has missed on quite a few of his evaluations… guys like Temple, Belgrave, Samuel Williams etc. All coaches miss but check out this interesting nugget: Weaver, Jones, Twyman, Kancey, Camp, Watts, Alexandre, Haba, these were the core guys in CPs best DLs. Most were brought in before CP came back and he was only the lead for Kancey and Alexandre. This shows he can develop talent but (unpopular opinion) he needs to recruit better.

I thought Hayes was going to be a star, but just solid at best so far. Johnson-bust, Donald- nothing to this point (Should’ve never been a 4-star we know it’s because of his name), Ford-bust. Hell our best DL so far has been Jules who was a Powell recruit.

Super hard to argue that the defensive line has not significantly under-performed. This has been the highest recruited area, seemingly doing a great job bringing in talent. But it is not showing up on the field THIS YEAR. Obviously the entire Partridge tenure it has shown up, so having this one year, to me, is of course ok. But, they are not getting pressure when we rush only 4, against almost any level of talent.

Well thought thought out post. I think we have some stellar recruits coming in if we can seals the deal in December. Gotta shiw
Out well down the stretch.

Reactions: 4upmc

Interesting stats about the DE’s if you don’t want to read the article:

-Hayes has 30 pressures which is good but missed 30% of his tackles which is horrible. He has ability but is inconsistent. Hoping he can finish out the year well and have a big final season next year.

-Temple as a starter getting good PT only has 6 pressures, that’s poor.

-Sam O has only got 55 snaps in pass rush situations yet he still leads the team in sacks. Him getting only 55 chances to rush the passer in 7 games is a crime. No DL on the team can match his explosiveness…there shouldn’t be a 3rd and long the rest of the year where Temple is on the field over Sam O. The kid should start the rest of the year, he’s the future, Temple isn’t. Let him make mistakes and learn on the job, it will pay off down the line.

Well thought thought out post. I think we have some stellar recruits coming in if we can seals the deal in December. Gotta shiw
Out well down the stretch.
Yes Edwards looks physically ready from day 1. Whit and Brewu seem to have talent. Brewu has taken a few visits so hopefully we hang on to these guys.

The 3 true frosh we have this year, wonder if anyone has word on their development?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT