ADVERTISEMENT

Jahfari Harvey Miami DE transfer

4upmc

Junior
Gold Member
Nov 13, 2017
Grad transfer DE. Would be a nice target for Partridge to go after with his south Florida connections. A part time starter whose best year was as Jr with 5.5 sacks, 7.5 tackles for loss and 31 total tackles. A speed rusher who would fit the Pitt system on D. He will get some good interest but not the Georgia’s, OSUs etc. Partridge and PN should be able to sell what guys like former Pitt DE’s Weaver and Jones did and how the Pitt system typically is top 5 in the nation in sacks. He would be a nice addition.

Upgrading the DL is really important especially with this being the worst DL Pitt has had in years.

Grad transfer DE. Would be a nice target for Partridge to go after with his south Florida connections. A part time starter whose best year was as Jr with 5.5 sacks, 7.5 tackles for loss and 31 total tackles. A speed rusher who would fit the Pitt system on D. He will get some good interest but not the Georgia’s, OSUs etc. Partridge and PN should be able to sell what guys like former Pitt DE’s Weaver and Jones did and how the Pitt system typically is top 5 in the nation in sacks. He would be a nice addition.

Upgrading the DL is really important especially with this being the worst DL Pitt has had in years.
That worst DL in years was dominated by 5th year SRs, Danielson, Jules, Temple, Brima, Green, Bentley playing most of the snaps. Why add a part time transfer SR for one year?

With Hayes ( a 5th year SR ) returning and a young Okunlola looking like the starters next year at DE, maybe it's time to start looking at the youth that has been added the last couple years instead of having them marinate on the bench behind players without a future.

Let's find out if highly regarded younger players like Jimmy Scott ( saw meaningful snaps against Duke), Nahki Johnson, Sean Fitzsimmons, Elliot Donald, Antonio Camon, Isaiah Neal are ready to build towards their promise. They add 4* DE Sincere Edwards with this years class too.

One of the most frustrating things this year was watching all these 5 year SRs getting gashed in the run game and applying little pressure with a pass rush while younger players sat and watched. Maybe the youth will not be much better and need growing pains but maybe some meanigful playing time will benefit the DL down the road. Isn't that why they were recruited?

No 1-year players unless its an elite dude who we wouldn't be able to land anyway.

Let's find out if highly regarded younger players like Jimmy Scott ( saw meaningful snaps against Duke), Nahki Johnson, Sean Fitzsimmons, Elliot Donald, Antonio Camon, Isaiah Neal are ready to build towards their promise. They add 4* DE Sincere Edwards with this years class too.
You'll know real quick how hard CP hits the portal and what the ceiling is of this group.

Reactions: Conemaugh
That worst DL in years was dominated by 5th year SRs, Danielson, Jules, Temple, Brima, Green, Bentley playing most of the snaps. Why add a part time transfer SR for one year?

With Hayes ( a 5th year SR ) returning and a young Okunlola looking like the starters next year at DE, maybe it's time to start looking at the youth that has been added the last couple years instead of having them marinate on the bench behind players without a future.

One of the most frustrating things this year was watching all these 5 year SRs getting gashed in the run game and applying little pressure with a pass rush while younger players sat and watched. Maybe the youth will not be much better and need growing pains but maybe some meanigful playing time will benefit the DL down the road. Isn't that why they were recruited?
Hayes yes, Sam O yes. Jules solid. The rest… eeeehhhh

Dude Johnson sucks he got passed over by Scott who may or may not be ok in the future. Johnson couldn’t get PT over Nate Temple who belongs in the sunbelt. The young DE’s Scott, Camon etc could develop but right now you only have 2 that resemble the talent of past years in Hayes and Sam. You need lots of depth to play as we have in the past. Todays game is about win now as developing guys transfer if they don’t play. The Miami DE would give you 3 legit P5 DE who can play now so that still leaves room for others to develop.

Donald is not good, this was the worst group of DT’s we have had in years and he couldn’t get any snaps. If he had a different last name you would agree he can’t play. Fitz I have not given up on as I was high on him but he did nothing this year. There is a reason CP already offered any IVY League DT who would instantly start on this roster. Our Dts got bullied all year and you want to play Donald who is 265 pounds soaking wet?

Ghost really has to hit the weight room as he’s small.

BTW the Miami DE has almost as many career pressures as every DE on the Pitt roster combined…think about that for a minute. But yeah Pitt should turn down talent to play Nate Temple and WPIAL bust Johnson.

Reactions: TheChair
Hayes yes, Sam O yes. Jules solid. The rest… eeeehhhh

Dude Johnson sucks he got passed over by Scott who may or may not be ok in the future. Johnson couldn’t get PT over Nate Temple who belongs in the sunbelt. The young DE’s Scott, Camon etc could develop but right now you only have 2 that resemble the talent of past years in Hayes and Sam. You need lots of depth to play as we have in the past. Todays game is about win now as developing guys transfer if they don’t play. The Miami DE would give you 3 legit P5 DE who can play now so that still leaves room for others to develop.

Donald is not good, this was the worst group of DT’s we have had in years and he couldn’t get any snaps. If he had a different last name you would agree he can’t play. Fitz I have not given up on as I was high on him but he did nothing this year. There is a reason CP already offered any IVY League DT who would instantly start on this roster. Our Dts got bullied all year and you want to play Donald who is 265 pounds soaking wet?

Ghost really has to hit the weight room as he’s small.

BTW the Miami DE has almost as many career pressures as every DE on the Pitt roster combined…think about that for a minute. But yeah Pitt should turn down talent to play Nate Temple and WPIAL bust Johnson.
Whatever.

I guess you know they are all busts because Dooz is loyal to a fault when it comes to playing time for long time seniors regardless of their on field production. This season is proof. Temple is gone along with the rest of the stiffs that we saw all year BTW.

. Have you seen any evidence that these guys are busts? We haven't seen them play enough to know that. Just because they didn't see the field behind all the long time program loyal seniors that Dooz rewards doesn't make them any good. We don't know. I don't know, but apperently you do.

Let's quit recruiting players all together and keep bringing in 1 year band-aids that couldn't start for their previous teams. That's the recipe for future success.

Last edited:
Whatever.

I guess you know they are all busts because Dooz is loyal to a fault when it comes to playing time for long time seniors regardless of their on field production. This season is proof. Temple is gone along with the rest of the stiffs that we saw all year BTW

. Have you seen any evidence that these guys are busts? We haven't seen them play enough to know that. Just because they didn't see the field behind all the long time program loyal seniors that Dooz rewards doesn't make them any good. We don't know. You may be right that developing players transfer. Pitt may lose a few good ones before we know what they may become with your strategy.

Let's quit recruiting players all together and keep bringing in 1 year band-aids that couldn't start for their previous teams. That's the recipe for future success.
Whatever…good debate lol. You say whatever because I actually bring up evidence and numbers as I will do here and you don’t back up anything you say.

You realize CP makes all decisions on PT for the DL? You clearly don’t. But PN has stated this and that’s why he is the assistant head coach.

The evidence of guys being busts is we have one of the best DL coaches around and he won’t play them. I’m not talking the frosh as they have time but Johnson 3 years at Pitt 4 tackles and 1 career sack. Donald 3 years at Pitt 6 tackles and 0.5 career sacks. Unless something changes dramatically these are both 4-star busts. Nate Temple is better than both and he doesn’t belong at the P5 level.

No one said bring in a team full of transfers but this roster needs to cut the dead weight. I think Sincere is going to be the real deal but hard to expect a true frosh to be ready from day 1.

God forbid CP bring in a proven DL from Miami who has actually produced at the P5 level. He has more tackles, pressures, (only Hayes has more sacks), you name it than any DL on the entire Pitt roster but guess that’s not good enough for you lol.

You'll know real quick how hard CP hits the portal and what the ceiling is of this group.
Maybe so. The pressure is on to bounce back from a bad season. So many guys that were 2 and 3 * recruits have flourished under CP over the years, but with some it takes time, coaching, and reps to develop that.

The guys I mentioned in the previous post were highly regarded coming out of high school. If CP is underwhelmed by their progress, then we'll see about it otherwise. I believe he likes to coach young players to their potential. That is what brings them to Pitt.

Younger players with very few reps are busts. Hayes was one of those 4* recruits that had to wait 3 years to get into the lineup behind older players. You are basing your opinion by what you think CP believes is the potential of those players without really knowing.
Dayon showed some flashes of potential as a true frosh and actually had 2.5 sacks which is more than Johnson/Donald have combined in 6 years total at Pitt 3 years Johnson and 3 years Donald.

Dayon came into a loaded DL room. There was legit reason for him to wait because Pitt had Jones, Weaver, Twyman, Kancey, Haba, Alexandre, Camp, Morgan etc…that’s serious talent (many NFL guys) to wait and develop behind. Sorry but even you have to admit it’s night and day comparing that top level talent to the players Johnson/Donald are behind. Jimmy Scott may or may not develop (time will tell) but at least he got himself into the rotation as a RS frosh. It’s not a good sign for a guy like Johnson when a guy younger than him passes him up on the depth chart.

I do think 3/4 of the DL being brought in have high end potential. But it’s rare for a true frosh DL to be ready so it can’t hurt to supplement the DL with a say a transfer DT and DE. I think you would also agree this was the worst DL of the CP era under PN…

I misspoke. Younger players with higher ranking and very few reps can certainly be busts. Weaver, Twyman, Cancey, Haba, Morgan. and others were all given a reasonable time to play and evaluate their growth. That is my main point. Often growth needs time and game experience.

As I stated, improving the roster with valuable transfers is good where needed. I just like to see the players with promise and commited to the program over some years get their opportunity before transfering over them. You recruited them. Let's find out through more snaps.

Nate Yarnell maybe could show us all.

We’re talking about DL not Nate who I’ve posted that I like. FC/PN fuuucked up with Nate/qb situation.

“transferring over them” CP hasn’t had to “transfer over” Johnson…every single non true frosh DE is ahead of him on the depth chart. That should tell you enough about what CP really thinks of him. I’m all for giving guys a chance who earn it. I guess CP doesn’t think Johnson has done/shown anything to earn the chance for PT…Hopefully he has a great off season and earns PT as he seems like a nice kid but this is the big leagues now with guys getting paid so everyone must earn their keep. Guys like the Miami DE have proven they can play/start and produce at this level. I’ll take 1 good season from a know product like him over hoping Johnson can do something with his 2 years left.

We’re talking about DL not Nate who I’ve posted that I like. FC/PN fuuucked up with Nate/qb situation.

“transferring over them” CP hasn’t had to “transfer over” Johnson…every single non true frosh DE is ahead of him on the depth chart. That should tell you enough about what CP really thinks of him. I’m all for giving guys a chance who earn it. I guess CP doesn’t think Johnson has done/shown anything to earn the chance for PT…Hopefully he has a great off season and earns PT as he seems like a nice kid but this is the big leagues now with guys getting paid so everyone must earn their keep. Guys like the Miami DE have proven they can play/start and produce at this level. I’ll take 1 good season from a know product like him over hoping Johnson can do something with his 2 years left.
I see your point. There may always be short term additions that may serve to bolster the current roster. I don't know Johnson's situation. He was a highly regarded recruit that added 45 pounds to his frame while at Pitt. Maybe he will not reach the potential that they expected on signing day. Some do. Some don't.

Maybe I am old school that likes to see the program succeed from the ground up. I go back to the Tony Dorsett days. I have seen so many home grown players and dedicated other recruits bring pride to the program.

I want to see the program succeed. I have a hard time adjusting to these modern times I guess.

Reactions: 4upmc
I don’t care for these modern times much either but unfortunately it’s seems here to stay. And we can agree we both want Pitt to win.

We have had some good local talent under PN who have made the NFL. But it’s not like the Tony D days when the WPIAL was loaded. I just want Pitt to win and I don’t care where the players come from. I don’t think you or anyone cheered any less for KP, Kancey, Izzy, Dennis Jones, Weaver etc because they weren’t local. We need to upgrade the talent and get it from wherever we can.

Reactions: ShipofFools
We have some talent at DE but we always could use more. But we really need DTs because that’s where we got crushed in the run game. Hoping Fits issue this year was that he wasn’t healthy. And Jules looks like he’s become a nice player but we are woefully thin at DT.

Also need a couple of really good LBs especially middle lB. The front 7 this year was awful

Reactions: TheChair
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT