ADVERTISEMENT

Pat Narduzi...

Who cares? Its a football game. We have national leaders who claim people cheat to win elections. If Narduzzi claimed every game that they only lost because the officials cheated, who cares?
Let me ask you this: do you believe the ACC refs have conspired to screw Pitt over in the past in basketball and football?

Let me ask you this: do you believe the ACC refs have conspired to screw Pitt over in the past in basketball and football?

No. The only game I think they deliberately cheated in was the 13-9 game and I'd say that was more of them making sure they dont miss anything that would be in WVU's favor more than deliberately cheating. So if there was any question in their mind of something unfavorable towards WVU, they called it because they couldn't risk a missed call that ended up costing their employer millions. Its human nature.

No. The only game I think they deliberately cheated in was the 13-9 game and I'd say that was more of them making sure they dont miss anything that would be in WVU's favor more than deliberately cheating. So if there was any question in their mind of something unfavorable towards WVU, they called it because they couldn't risk a missed call that ended up costing their employer millions. Its human nature.
Wow I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this. IMO the ACC refs have been screwing over Pitt in favor of the original southern schools since they entered the conference.

In recent years I think it is more incompetence than deliberate cheating however

Someone here recommended youtube TV. I finally cut the cord (blocked the dish, I guess) and I love it so far...anyway, they have a pretty nice 10-15 minute 'synopsis' of the game. On that WV TD that you mention, their LT tackles our DE and jumps on him. About as blatant a hold as their is. Tho, the LT didn't have to as I think that Greene gets the ball off.

On Kenny Johnson's big play in the 1stQ the WV DL has Pitt OG head snapped back pretty good with hands under his facemask. It didn't matter as Pitt would have declined it anyway. The facemask on Holstein was pretty bad...his head did a 180 and just about everyone in the stadium saw it....the officials HAD to as well. The WV D-backs were holding a lot...grabbing on double moves all game long. Reynolds did a great job getting off the hold on him about the 10 yard line. There was PI a play or two before Reid's 2nd TD catch that wasn't called....again, it didn't matter as Pitt still scored on that drive.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
In fairness to the official who missed the “obvious” face-mask call, the guy had to assess whether there was defensive or offensive pass interference, whether the ball was caught and whether the WR got a foot in bounds all in like one or two seconds.

There are times when you wish there was a ref in the booth monitoring the game for obviously missed calls. This was one of those times.

It is one thing to complain about the refs missing a call, coaches do that often. Pat, on the other hand, essentially said that the refs were favoring WVU, when he said thatPitt had to defeat them as well. That is a dumb comment to make.
I mean, I would say there were several impactful calls missed down the stretch. Missing the OPI was inexcusable as is missing a face mask that literally spun around our qb.

I agree, and I think the same thing (without the conference part) probably happened in Notre Dame in 2012.

However, I do think human nature can work the other way at times. We got a pretty questionable defensive holding call on Jester Weah and a ticky tack roughing the passer, if memory serves, toward the end of the Clemson 2016 game. I think we got screwed on the would-have-been 100-yard touchdown that Whitehead picked up and ran back, so they were possibly cognizant of not wanting it to look like some grand conspiracy against Pitt. Or they just plain called it how they saw it and it was a coincidence. Either way, I do think human nature influences things. There are penalties on so many plays they can choose to call if they wish.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT