ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State players ...not consistently varsity enough

PittPanthers90

Sophomore
Oct 30, 2003
Steelers coach Mike Tomlin didn’t sugar coat it when asked about the team’s trade for Vance McDonald on Tuesday. Of the Steelers’ trio of tight ends, Tomlin said they were “not consistently varsity enough.”

Remember that before this trade the starter at TE was Jessie James out of Ped State.

Tomlin's quote on the TEs just made my list of favorite things he has said. (And that list isn't too long)

James did very little at PSU and is pedestrian at best. NFL is a different animal and it really doesn't matter where you are from and your college career. Nits over rate their players more than any fan base I know.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin didn’t sugar coat it when asked about the team’s trade for Vance McDonald on Tuesday. Of the Steelers’ trio of tight ends, Tomlin said they were “not consistently varsity enough.”

Remember that before this trade the starter at TE was Jessie James out of Ped State.

Tomlin's quote on the TEs just made my list of favorite things he has said. (And that list isn't too long)

Even the PSU guys thought he was overrated and found it hard to believe he got as many snaps as did in Pittsburgh.

James did very little at PSU and is pedestrian at best. NFL is a different animal and it really doesn't matter where you are from and your college career. Nits over rate their players more than any fan base I know.

There wasn't a single PSU fan who believed that James was ready to go to the NFL. Not a single one. Your last sentence is hyperbole.

Go to a Steelers board and see the posts about how James is good enough and the Steelers are good with him. Perhaps years of so many freaken busts most understand the We are is not a program that players over perform in the NFL. Some have but keep hyping PSU players is not a very strong argument. To suggest James was not the TE of note is not a Pitt thing. He was never any good. Nice local kid, but very limited. How's Hack doing these days?

Fans over rate players. It is the eternal hope that drives sports. But PSU fans will never see the warts in anyone in the program or gone form the program until they are forced to by said actions. Even then, it is buried quickly by them. How fast did they want the scandal to end? Old news move on crowd. If fact they go after anyone who was honest in the Sandusky cover up. Ask Iron Doc a very loyal and decent poster who was crushed by the cult. Any program that allowed nut cases to present the concept that PSU was wronged by the NCAA, media and programs that had a interest in PSU crashing says it all. That fruit cake Indy nittney and Penny lion reflect the majority view that PSU football and the football "kids" were jobbed.

I think James has overachieved to be honest. He hasn't been horrible.

Well the Steelers think he isn't good enough now. They don't trade often so that tells you something. James as one of the group simply was seen as not good enough. The push back from the nitters was predictable. Orndoff was cut and no one thought he was wronged. You miss the difference, Pitt is not a cult, PSU from the President down are. .

Well the Steelers think he isn't good enough now. They don't trade often so that tells you something. James as one of the group simply was seen as not good enough. The push back from the nitters was predictable. Orndoff was cut and no one thought he was wronged. You miss the difference, Pitt is not a cult, PSU from the President down are. .
I don't think Orndoff was 'wronged' but feel bad he couldn't hack it ... and especially that Holtz wasn't brought in for a look last year (hey, maybe he was for all I know, but he seemed a better potential Steeler material than Orndoff). I think James is adequate but that is it. The Nit thing will always irk, but once a Steeler I want the guy to do well. He is ok but they should have better than that.

Reactions: Pittx9
I didn't say he was starter quality, but he's ok for a backup.

I'm not going to diss him just because he's PSU.

I think James has overachieved to be honest. He hasn't been horrible.

I would agree with this, I can honestly say I wasnt rooting for the guy, but to see these responses here, and even from psuers are crazy. He at least performed 'ok'.

I would agree with this, I can honestly say I wasnt rooting for the guy, but to see these responses here, and even from psuers are crazy. He at least performed 'ok'.

Myself, I don't root for "people" I root for "teams" I root for ANYONE the Steelers draft to be a hall of famer if possible. It doesn't matter where they came from- Penn State, WVU, North Korea, ISIS, Russia, the alt-right, BLM... if the Steelers drafted them I want them to succeed.

He's not great, and won't be, but he does have 8 times more career catches than Limas Sweed! LOL :)

Myself, I don't root for "people" I root for "teams" I root for ANYONE the Steelers draft to be a hall of famer if possible. It doesn't matter where they came from- Penn State, WVU, North Korea, ISIS, Russia, the alt-right, BLM... if the Steelers drafted them I want them to succeed.

He's not great, and won't be, but he does have 8 times more career catches than Limas Sweed! LOL :)

Yeah, I remember you writing that before, and that is commendable (well, maybe not the ISIS part)... Im the opposite, if Hackeniceburg was the steelers QB tomorrow.. and we didnt have James Conner... Id be looking for a new team to follow

Yeah but Sweed is tied with Tim McKyer for most collapses into sobbing after terrible plays.

James might be terrible but he's guaranteed 2.2 million which is more than some of you will make over 4 years.My hats off to anyone that can play in the NFL for 3-4 years no matter where they went to school.Gee that Franklin really messed up Hackenburg the Jets QB coaches can straighten him out after Franklin ruined him.

Reactions: step.eng69
I don't think Orndoff was 'wronged' but feel bad he couldn't hack it ... and especially that Holtz wasn't brought in for a look last year (hey, maybe he was for all I know, but he seemed a better potential Steeler material than Orndoff). I think James is adequate but that is it. The Nit thing will always irk, but once a Steeler I want the guy to do well. He is ok but they should have better than that.
I said the same. I liked orndoff a lot, but I thought holtz was the most perfect fit to replace heath Miller. I was a little dissapointed he never got a chance.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT