ADVERTISEMENT

Pete Caroll=Wanny...worst play all in SB history

Definitely can be considered one of the worst play calls ever.

However, why you bring Wanny into the conversation about it is one of the stupidest comments everl

Not even Wanny would have thrown there. Boring Wanny would have done the right thing: RUN THE FREAKING BALL!

I blame Carroll for not overruling the call.

Because Wanny was just as classic in epic failure...you know it...so do I...

That horrible call bailed out the genius belichick, who was content to let Seattle score with no meaningful amount of time left.

Well, as Pitt fans we all know we've seen some classic epic failures, bonehead calls and head scratchers by a good number of coaches. But come on, one of Wanny's biggest criticisms may be his 'conservatism' so you know darn well he would have NEVER thrown the ball there.

left coast?

blame Wilson for no audible or overruling?

Probably not but he still ...under pressure...would have lost on special teams...seriously...right?

Re: left coast?

Yeah, Wilson probably should have called an audible and run Lynch out of the shotgun. He probably thought the play would work so why not run it.

Seemed more like Walt than Wanny to me. Like going into a bowl game when your RB is a future first rounder and the opponents rush D is one of the worst in college football and you throw the ball on 14 of the first 18 offensive plays or whatever it was.

Re: Walt Harris...worst play all in SB history

What??? Wannny?

Not even in the discussion...The situation in the Super Bowl was one of those where someone is trying to "out think" the room, so the play call reminded me good old Walt Harris. Bowl game against Virginia in Charlotte...1st and goal from like the 4...four downs...and Walt had THE BEST player in college football standing next to him on the sideline the entire series.

Walt later explained it was "package" that he was't part of...no need to tell you who was the best player in college that year...but Pitt failed to score.

no way Wilson audibles there

he had visions of MVP sugar plums dancing in his head

If lynch runs it in, he's MVP

If Wilson throws it in, he's MVP

Wilson stuck with the selfish play - and it backfired into his stupid face

Wilson threw a bad pass but bevell should never have called that.

there is no way lynch doesn't get a yard in 3 plays.

I agree that it doesn't make sense to expect Wilson to overturn his coach's call there -- even if it was the dumbest call in football history.

But I was pointing out that the play would make Wilson the hero, not Lynch -- it's interesting that if he completes that pass, he's the MVP -- if Lynch runs it in, he's the MVP

Interesting -- Wilson blew it -- but it is the coach's fault, 100% no question

steel-I have looked at that play a million times and Im not sure he gets in if he catches it. In fact, he might have gotten hit and incomplete. Another reason why a pass was so dumb-sack, incomplete, or PICK.

I think that pass is incomplete or he is tacked short if its on the money

Originally posted by steel1975:
I agree that it doesn't make sense to expect Wilson to overturn his coach's call there -- even if it was the dumbest call in football history.

But I was pointing out that the play would make Wilson the hero, not Lynch -- it's interesting that if he completes that pass, he's the MVP -- if Lynch runs it in, he's the MVP

You're digging deep to try to trash Wilson. The pass was right to the receiver. He was weak going to the ball, and the d-back went to the ball strongly, and took it away. Calling a play that requires a throw into heavy traffic is crazy in that situation. Either a fade, or a rollout would have been the correct call if you want to pass. Too many bad things can happen trying a quick pass into a jumble of players.

My original post wasn't written well -- didn't mean to really trash Wilson -- he made the play he was asked to make

The fault is 100% on the coach

The stupidest play call in ANY game I have ever seen -- at ANY level.

Can't believe it happened on the biggest stage of them all (super bowl) at the most critical juncture of the game.

The offensive coordinator should be shot --

Literally

I was merely trying to point out that Wilson gets to be the hero if that play works -- didn't mean for my post to come across as critical of the guy -- poorly written by me

Originally posted by ameoba defense:
Originally posted by steel1975:

You're digging deep to try to trash Wilson. The pass was right to the receiver. He was weak going to the ball, and the d-back went to the ball strongly, and took it away. Calling a play that requires a throw into heavy traffic is crazy in that situation. Either a fade, or a rollout would have been the correct call if you want to pass. Too many bad things can happen trying a quick pass into a jumble of players.

just saw something on SB trashing Wilson for a weak throw on his back foot that was high and right instead of low inside and with zip....although it still said the call should never been made

that slant was called I just don't know if you are going to call a pass, as dumb as that is, not to make it a read option or roll out

Originally posted by LeftCoastPanther:
Not even Wanny would have thrown there. Boring Wanny would have done the right thing: RUN THE FREAKING BALL!

I blame Carroll for not overruling the call.
Wrong.

See Navy, 2007.

Originally posted by NCanton Panther:
Well, as Pitt fans we all know we've seen some classic epic failures, bonehead calls and head scratchers by a good number of coaches. But come on, one of Wanny's biggest criticisms may be his 'conservatism' so you know darn well he would have NEVER thrown the ball there.
Navy game, 2007.

Shady had run for 165 yards.

4th and goal at the 2.

In OT. Pitt down by 3.

Does he give it to Shady for the win? No.
Does he kick it to force another OT? No.
Does he try an ill-advised fade pattern in the corner of the endzone? DING DING DING!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT