ADVERTISEMENT

Petrishen

GoneFisching

Senior
Jan 30, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Why are they bringing in a grad transfer from PSU who was 3rd on the depth chart? Am I missing something? I thought we had depth at safety? It now appears not.

He is not on scholarship and his brain can be picked for the PS game. After that they can cut him loose for all I care. He will not beat out anyone in our secondary.

Why are they bringing in a grad transfer from PSU who was 3rd on the depth chart? Am I missing something? I thought we had depth at safety? It now appears not.

He is not on scholarship and his brain can be picked for the PS game. After that they can cut him loose for all I care. He will not beat out anyone in our secondary.

Maybe you’re right, but it’s starting to sound like this is going to be the same house of cards defense we’ve seen at Pitt for the past decade.

He has two seasons of eligibility left and played in every game last year on special teams. Plus you're losing at least one of the starters to graduation at the end of the year.
That would indicate the staff doesn’t feel good about the “puppy’s” behind them though, and that sucks to even fathom that they aren’t better than a 3rd year special teams player willing to transfer while losing scholarship for a chance to play other than special teams

That would indicate the staff doesn’t feel good about the “puppy’s” behind them though, and that sucks to even fathom that they aren’t better than a 3rd year special teams player willing to transfer while losing scholarship for a chance to play other than special teams

Not really. It's a zero risk move that adds depth. If there was an immediate scholarship involved, then you'd have to question the quality of the depth.

I don't know if he will contribute much of anything at Pitt, but he had a lot of injuries and surgeries at Penn State so I'm not sure how well he will do if he stays healthy.

He has two years of eligibility and if he is not on scholarship for now, what harm does it do for Pitt to have him come aboard ? ...... if he can help on special teams that would benefit us and if he stays healthy and plays well enough to earn a scholarship that is a plus for us ...... if he doesn't play well enough to earn a scholarship, then we have lost nothing.

I don't know if he will contribute much of anything at Pitt, but he had a lot of injuries and surgeries at Penn State so I'm not sure how well he will do if he stays healthy.

He has two years of eligibility and if he is not on scholarship for now, what harm does it do for Pitt to have him come aboard ? ...... if he can help on special teams that would benefit us and if he stays healthy and plays well enough to earn a scholarship that is a plus for us ...... if he doesn't play well enough to earn a scholarship, then we have lost nothing.
My point is IF a kid who has been that banged up, can’t crack the depth chart at PSU, walks on and earns playing time, that our scholarship players suck.

Reactions: moose121
My point is IF a kid who has been that banged up, can’t crack the depth chart at PSU, walks on and earns playing time, that our scholarship players suck.

If that is the case then they suck if he isn't at Pitt too. Taking Petrishen or not isn't the issue.
Taking Petrishen says the coaching staff thinks he can help the team. That to me alone is concerning.

Taking Petrishen says the coaching staff thinks he can help the team. That to me alone is concerning.

As others have pointed out, it may be that "help the team" means providing information about an upcoming opponent. If I am reading between the lines, he also may need therapy or even surgery on his shoulder and he might be looking to utilize the facilities available through UPMC / Pitt. They can offer that access and if he is able to contribute at some point then it is gravy.

I think we might be reading too much into this. Petrishen could probably walk on at Alabama if he wanted to. Not many programs are going to turn down a half-decent non scholarship guy, especially if he is a student of the game and can set an example for the younger guys. We just so happen to be his hometown: win/win.

We have some pretty good options at safety for the foreseeable future, and I don't think this is a black mark on any of them. Brandon Hill has already been talked up during this camp.

I know what your point is .... BUT why are you upset and assuming he will earn playing time at Pitt ???? ...... and IF he does, at some point, earn playing time at Pitt, it may not be because our players suck but may mean that Petrishen would have been higher on the PSU depth chart without injuries ...... my guess is that Petrishen was brought in to help with special teams and add depth to the secondary ..... if he can do this as a non-scholarship player, it is a win for Pitt and if he contributes above this, it is a bigger win ..... if he never plays a down as a non-scholarship player, we have lost nothing ..... IMO, this move reflects very little on what the staff feels about our current safeties.

Reactions: superstein61a
Maybe you’re right, but it’s starting to sound like this is going to be the same house of cards defense we’ve seen at Pitt for the past decade.
For God's sake they didn't bring him in because they are desperate for players. He approached them and Pitt obviously thinks they have nothing to lose. And maybe he contributes down the road. Why would they tell him to hit the bricks.

He played quite a bit on special teams at PSU last year. So without Pitt having to commit a scholarship he may or may not help at least our special teams this year. What does Pitt have to lose?

Reactions: lilspainishflea
As i said in the other thread, i love this move by Narduzzi and staff. Very low risk and gives us another benefit to beating UPS. Plus the more ive read today, he actually played a lot on special teams for them last year plus another body (walk on) is never a bad thing. He probably wanted to play for a divisional champion anyways... :)

If they were desperate for players they would have allowed Wade to transfer to PITT. He is friends with players on team, he’s has experience in a major conference, he is not on scholarship, this could help local recruiting.

Put him on special teams. Than you don’t have to put your best offensive scholarship guys out there to tackle. I recall seeing some of our running backs playing special teams on kick offs and punts. No reason a starting RB should be tackling on ST.

I think it’s a big win for Pitt. Kid doesn’t take up a scholly. He is a for sure d1 player played in games at psu. Also it has to look amazing for local high school coaches to see Pitt taking care of guys even if they chose psu. Psu playbook in hand. I just don’t see negatives and I’m not worried about our young talent because of a grad transfer 1 bit.

H2P

Put him on special teams. Than you don’t have to put your best offensive scholarship guys out there to tackle. I recall seeing some of our running backs playing special teams on kick offs and punts. No reason a starting RB should be tackling on ST.
They do it not only to get the best athletes on ST, but to also get them tape for NFL teams to see. Backup guys in the NFL must also play ST.

I think it’s a big win for Pitt. Kid doesn’t take up a scholly. He is a for sure d1 player played in games at psu. Also it has to look amazing for local high school coaches to see Pitt taking care of guys even if they chose psu. Psu playbook in hand. I just don’t see negatives and I’m not worried about our young talent because of a grad transfer 1 bit.

H2P
Agreed. Also, Central Catholic is a Pitt-friendly school, so you want to maintain that friendship as well.

That would indicate the staff doesn’t feel good about the “puppy’s” behind them though, and that sucks to even fathom that they aren’t better than a 3rd year special q player willing to transfer while losing scholarship for a chance to play other than special teams
He’s free experienced depth and a special teams body brah. And you need players to run practices and scout teams.

Why wouldn’t the coaches take him?

Reactions: lilspainishflea
you are questioning the logic of "bringing in" a skilled experienced special teams player who does not eat up a scholarship and wants to be here? I am failing to see a downside here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT