ADVERTISEMENT

Pickett update - out for “extended period”

Hopefully we can still beat the Patriots and Bengals with Trupicksy so we can win another Tomlin Super Bowl. Pissed I had to miss the parade last year, so I intend to party twice as hard this time around. 9-8 is not to be taken lightly.

• Haha
Reactions: Fk_Pitt
What’s ridiculous is the bad hot (hit?) takes on Twitter about Pickett

That defense today literally gave the game away to the worst offense ( 2nd worse maybe Carolina is bad) in the NFL

Giving up 99 yards after not scoring from the one yard line at home was completely inexcusable…

I just don't see a ton of talent on the Steeler's roster (which is something hopefully the new GM will improve over the next couple years) ... Tomlin deserves criticism but IMO the Steelers probably have 6-6 talent on the roster that Tomlin has at a 7-5 record currently. You could probably argue we have less than 6-6 talent.

Sure Watt is great, Fitzpatrick and Heyward are really good when healthy, Highsmith is pretty good, Warren is good for an undrafted free agent, and Pickens seems above average at least in terms of physical skills, but there are a ton of players on the roster that appear to be below average at least in comparison to other NFL players.

Last edited:
This is a good thing. Unless Mitch all of a sudden plays better than we thing he can, the offense will suck and Rooney/Tomlin won’t be fooled into keeping things as is again this off-season.

And being 7-5 instead of 8-4 right now is probably still a game or two better than what the Steelers should be with the roster and staff leadership built here.

It might just be better to finish 7-10 and have a draft pick high enough that maybe a real QB can fall to them in the draft. Sorry Kenny is not it, 20+ games, multiple TDs in a game JUST ONCE, 300-yard games, JUST ONCE, really, he's the mediocre QB he was his first 4 years at Pitt and not the star he was his 5th extra year that he lucked into. I loved that championship year and all he did, but now, I don't care about him personally, I want the Steelers to have a real NFL QB.

I love Kenny and will be forever grateful for his career at Pitt, but this isn’t looking good at all. He deserves a Year 3 with a new coordinator, but it’s 50/50 right now that he can even become an average NFL QB. He looks more like a Matt Moore career back up at this point.

I love Kenny and will be forever grateful for his career at Pitt, but this isn’t looking good at all. He deserves a Year 3 with a new coordinator, but it’s 50/50 right now that he can even become an average NFL QB. He looks more like a Matt Moore career back up at this point.
Not sure when people are going to look for a root cause and conclude Tomlin is failing badly. If you think it's KP, fine. Why aren't people pissed that he keeps making all of these terrible personnel moves? If you choose to believe that the offensive system is a joke, well, that's still on Tomlin. I mean, Matt Canada was the laziest hire in the history of the franchise and it has been apparent that this offense sucked well before KP was running it. Either way, the Steelers aren't winning another playoff games with Tomlin in charge.

The fact he still has a job this morning is a sad statement on the franchise.

Tomlin brags about never having a losing season. That means that the Steelers have always had lower draft picks. Now we see the results.

Not sure when people are going to look for a root cause and conclude Tomlin is failing badly. If you think it's KP, fine. Why aren't people pissed that he keeps making all of these terrible personnel moves? If you choose to believe that the offensive system is a joke, well, that's still on Tomlin. I mean, Matt Canada was the laziest hire in the history of the franchise and it has been apparent that this offense sucked well before KP was running it. Either way, the Steelers aren't winning another playoff games with Tomlin in charge.

Tomlin is bad, his offensive knowledge is high school gym teacher level, he needs to go. Still, I see nothing to make me believe Kenny will ever be an NFL QB.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
Tomlin is bad, his offensive knowledge is high school gym teacher level, he needs to go. Still, I see nothing to make me believe Kenny will ever be an NFL QB.
That's fine. Guy has been playing hurt in an offensive system that is satisfied with FG's but I won't tell anyone they're wrong until we see him in a real NFL offense where they're not afraid to throw passes inside the 15.

Kenny was a fantastic college QB for a couple of years. If he was a truly great QB or even a very good one, he would have made that Steeler offense work and his talent would have shown through. He would have overcome the deficiencies of the system and his production would be among the top QB's in the league. That is what is expected from a first round draft choice.

But that isn't going to happen. His talent didn't translate from college to the pros. Which is fine. But the Steelers don't really have an NFL QB on their roster at this point and that has to be fixed. I think Kenny will make a fine backup somewhere. I hope he gets the chance to go to a coach who will help him become better. I certainly don't want him playing under Tomlin or for the Steelers. He can do better than that.

Yeah, I'm not big on Pickett, but Tomlin is just a farce who is in over his head. It's pretty easy to walk into a locker room with Polamalu, Farrior, Ward, Harrison, Faneca, etc. and be successful. That team policed itself.

After that, he was running on the fumes of having a HOF QB during the big 7-year defense (his side of the ball) rebuild.

I don't care if he won with Duck Hodges. Honestly, I don't. That's a completely different skillset from actually being competitive at the top of this league. If they devoted themselves to it, I'm sure a lot of guys could muck up games with old school concepts and hover around the .500 mark. That doesn't impress me one iota anymore. We've been stuck in that mode too long. Time to bring someone in with a higher ceiling and a mind for modern football.

Yeah, I'm not big on Pickett, but Tomlin is just a farce who is in over his head. It's pretty easy to walk into a locker room with Polamalu, Farrior, Ward, Harrison, Faneca, etc. and be successful. That team policed itself.

After that, he was running on the fumes of having a HOF QB during the big 7-year defense (his side of the ball) rebuild.

I don't care if he won with Duck Hodges. Honestly, I don't. That's a completely different skillset from actually being competitive at the top of this league. If they devoted themselves to it, I'm sure a lot of guys could muck up games with old school concepts and hover around the .500 mark. That doesn't impress me one iota anymore. We've been stuck in that mode too long. Time to bring someone in with a higher ceiling and a mind for modern football.
I'm holding out on KP because Ben couldn't excel with the personnel or scheme, either. Fact is, Tomiln has underperformed for a dozen years and we keep getting fed this BS about him being this great coach. He's not. I'm sure if the Steelers drop him, Carolina or someone hires him right away and maybe he succeeds. He's way to comfortable in Pittsburgh and the results just aren't there.

What’s ridiculous is the bad hot (hit?) takes on Twitter about Pickett

That defense today literally gave the game away to the worst offense ( 2nd worse maybe Carolina is bad) in the NFL

Giving up 99 yards after not scoring from the one yard line at home was completely inexcusable…
Not much good about the Steelers on either side of the ball but at least the defense has some small excuse. Hard to keep things up when you’re working with your 4th and 5th if not 6th ILB options. It’s been a turnstile at those 2 positions due to injuries.

But hey, misery loves company in the mostly mediocre NFL. Hard to believe we can be 7-5 and just lose in ugly fashion at home to a 2-10 team, and still be in the top wild card spot in the AFC.

This is a good thing. Unless Mitch all of a sudden plays better than we thing he can, the offense will suck and Rooney/Tomlin won’t be fooled into keeping things as is again this off-season.

And being 7-5 instead of 8-4 right now is probably still a game or two better than what the Steelers should be with the roster and staff leadership built here.
I think you’re way off base with that thought. Rooney and Tomlin are missing a good 4 or so valuable games to see what if anything they have in Pickett. It just pushes further down the time line what may likely be a hard truth to accept.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ

Well those sure aren’t 2 mutually exclusive facts. It sure can be that Tomlin isn’t doing a good job and neither is KP.

Not much good about the Steelers on either side of the ball but at least the defense has some small excuse. Hard to keep things up when you’re working with your 4th and 5th if not 6th ILB options. It’s been a turnstile at those 2 positions due to injuries.

But hey, misery loves company in the mostly mediocre NFL. Hard to believe we can be 7-5 and just lose in ugly fashion at home to a 2-10 team, and still be in the top wild card spot in the AFC.

You just knew there was a 0% chance we were beating both 2-10 teams we play this week. It's the other side of the coin for how we play football; there's no such thing as lesser competition.

I fully expect to beat the Patriots like 13-10 in a game that absolutely goes down to the final possession.

The difference is, we'll still be doing the same shit three years from now if Tomlin is still here, while the teams we're playing these ugly games against will take their lumps and either be at the top of the league in three years or at least be able to sell hope by being bad enough to draft premier talent.

Tomlin brags about never having a losing season. That means that the Steelers have always had lower draft picks. Now we see the results.
I’m not sure I’ve ever heard Tomlin brag about never having a losing season. That also doesn’t seem like his style to do that.

Now that sure doesn’t mean there aren’t a lot of Tomlin fans out there as well as on this board bragging about it, or at least using it as an excuse for him.

Well those sure aren’t 2 mutually exclusive facts. It sure can be that Tomlin isn’t doing a good job and neither is KP.
True but Tomlin has a lot of responsibility for not making good personnel moves. Not just KP but they had a center playing with a bad hand that struggled to get the ball to the QB without rolling it. I know KP is easy to beat up on because that's what people do but when you look around the roster, there are plenty of holes.

Theres a lot of fat boy Mark Madden logic on this board

“They are the worst kind of bad team. They’re a bad team that thinks they’re a good team. They don’t have an underdog perspective. They don’t scrap and claw. As a result, they just (stink). There’s nothing about the Steelers to like,” Madden said. “The offensive line stinks. The wide receivers are divas who don’t produce. They totally forgot about Pat Freiermuth (on Sunday). They’ve just gotten everything wrong — especially offensively.”

Not arguing that. All true. The OL is awful, The WR may have physical talent but they are mental midgets. Moreover after drops johnson, theres not a WR on the team who would get any PT with another team. Meuth is decent but he doesnt scare anyone on defense. The Rbs are average. And of course its amature hour with coordinators and OL coach

So what QB would be successful in this offense short of Pat Mahomes?

Then he goes on to say
he Steelers’ biggest problem was never the deposed offensive coordinator Matt Canada. It was quarterback Kenny Pickett.

“He was just a scapegoat,” Madden said of Canada. “I said that dating back over a year into the past, and now it’s being proven true. Kenny Pickett stinks. That’s the problem. He absolutely stinks. He has started 24 games. He’s thrown multiple touchdowns once, had a passer rating of over 100 once, thrown for over 300 yards once, and, as of today, he has left games injured a total of four times. That’s the problem. They drafted a bum in the first round as a quarterback, and no one wants to accept that.”

LOL So the talent surrounding the QB stinks but the QB is the biggest problem

Look I get it . The jury is surely still out on Pickett. I think its even fair to say hes not going to carry a team on his back and win the superbowl But hell, how many QBs fit that description, The question is can you win a super bowl with KP? Again, I think its fair to question that but you cant say one way or another with the talent and scheme they have.

Oh and the Coaching staff is on Mike Tomin Duzz has gotten major heat and rightfully so for his woeful coaching hires. Mike Teflon Tomlin not so much.

It might just be better to finish 7-10 and have a draft pick high enough that maybe a real QB can fall to them in the draft. Sorry Kenny is not it, 20+ games, multiple TDs in a game JUST ONCE, 300-yard games, JUST ONCE, really, he's the mediocre QB he was his first 4 years at Pitt and not the star he was his 5th extra year that he lucked into. I loved that championship year and all he did, but now, I don't care about him personally, I want the Steelers to have a real NFL QB.
You're insufferable.

That's fine. Guy has been playing hurt in an offensive system that is satisfied with FG's but I won't tell anyone they're wrong until we see him in a real NFL offense where they're not afraid to throw passes inside the 15.
I agree to an extent, but the play he got injured on he had a receiver open and didn't see it or pull the trigger. But true that "Stiller Way" redzone offense is gutless 1970s garbage and afraid to throw like a mediocre NFL team would.

I'm so confused by all the KP hate. Dude was legit having a pretty decent day and led what should have been 2 TD drives. The team didn't do jack with him out. They man got hurt diving for a TD and people are still bashing him. Not the O Line. Not the receivers, not the garbage rb that couldn't get a yard. Just him. I hate "fans". You guys know it all and missed your calling to be the next great coach 🤪

Ok, a few things. Yes, KP has not played well enough. He has missed some easy passes. He has failed to read the field. It is worrisome about his future as an NFL player. Both ceiling and floor are in question when he plays like that. That said, I think we have to be honest here. There are a LOT of problems. If KP is so bad, why were they unable to do anything yesterday without him? Why did the defense get totally worked by one of the worst teams in the NFL?

My theory is that the Steelers are incredibly poorly coached. How do I know that? Let's consider the evidence.

- They went 400+ yards the week after going 0-50 or something trying to do the same thing under Canada. They were on pace for another 400+ yard game before KP got hurt. And this was with their Center putting multiple snaps in the dirt on 3rd down. How were they able to have such a remarkable turnaround after getting rid of their OC? And before you say "quality of opponent," please consider that the Steelers played the Raiders multiple times under Canada and never hit 400+ yards. Why was Canada employed for 50ish games under these circumstances?

- Why are players now getting better when they leave the Steelers? Kevin Dotson is tearing it up while we continue to struggle at OG. Desmond King had multiple big plays yesterday, including a fumble recovery for a TD. Yet the Steelers couldn't get anything out of them. Why?

- The WR continue to make horrible plays. Running the wrong routes/turning the wrong way/running backwards/not blocking and walking on plays (DJ), not getting two feet down (Pickens). It's harder to tell compared to a sailed ball to a wide open WR but if you know what to look for it's there. Why are veteran WR still doing these things year after year?

- Why are talented rookies not getting enough offseason reps and then sitting on the bench unused for multiple games before being inserted and proving they're the most talented guys on the roster? What is the logic behind that? Are coaches unable to identify talent or are they risking Ls trying to prove a point? If the latter, why?

I'm sure that I could go on and on. This is an ugly team playing ugly football. They play to the quality of the opponent. They have 3 wins of 10+ points going back to 2021 but 11 such losses in the same period. Every single game is an attempted rock fight, no matter the opponent. That's why they win close and lose big.

My opinion is that the game has passed Tomlin by. He's a motivator. "Roll the ball out and let them play." The problem is that he used to coach with some of the best pros in franchise history. Now he has basically 3 great players - and one of them is about 35 years old - and a bunch of young guys. There is no more locker room self-policing. The current roster needs a teacher but that's not him.

Tomlin's other problem is that the game is more schematic than ever. Why is Tua suddenly so good after being written off? It's because he has a coach that knows how to design plays to get their best WR wide f***ing open and then coaches the QB to let it rip. We spent 24 games of our young QBs career making sure that all he could throw was a 4 yard out unless we were losing the game otherwise. It's a totally non-viable philosophy and it retarded Kenny's growth. Professional malpractice. Tomlin really needs to hire people who understand the modern game. My fear is that he won't and we'll get 2 more years of this, while hammering the lid on the coffin of KP's career in the process.

I'm so confused by all the KP hate. Dude was legit having a pretty decent day and led what should have been 2 TD drives. The team didn't do jack with him out. They man got hurt diving for a TD and people are still bashing him. Not the O Line. Not the receivers, not the garbage rb that couldn't get a yard. Just him. I hate "fans". You guys know it all and missed your calling to be the next great coach 🤪
Stop making sense. The entire game was Kenny's fault.

There is a big difference between bashing him and not being gung-ho optimistic about his prospects and potential as an above average NFL QB.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT