ADVERTISEMENT

Pickett update - out for “extended period”

Ok, a few things. Yes, KP has not played well enough. He has missed some easy passes. He has failed to read the field. It is worrisome about his future as an NFL player. Both ceiling and floor are in question when he plays like that. That said, I think we have to be honest here. There are a LOT of problems. If KP is so bad, why were they unable to do anything yesterday without him? Why did the defense get totally worked by one of the worst teams in the NFL?

My theory is that the Steelers are incredibly poorly coached. How do I know that? Let's consider the evidence.

- They went 400+ yards the week after going 0-50 or something trying to do the same thing under Canada. They were on pace for another 400+ yard game before KP got hurt. And this was with their Center putting multiple snaps in the dirt on 3rd down. How were they able to have such a remarkable turnaround after getting rid of their OC? And before you say "quality of opponent," please consider that the Steelers played the Raiders multiple times under Canada and never hit 400+ yards. Why was Canada employed for 50ish games under these circumstances?

- Why are players now getting better when they leave the Steelers? Kevin Dotson is tearing it up while we continue to struggle at OG. Desmond King had multiple big plays yesterday, including a fumble recovery for a TD. Yet the Steelers couldn't get anything out of them. Why?

- The WR continue to make horrible plays. Running the wrong routes/turning the wrong way/running backwards/not blocking and walking on plays (DJ), not getting two feet down (Pickens). It's harder to tell compared to a sailed ball to a wide open WR but if you know what to look for it's there. Why are veteran WR still doing these things year after year?

- Why are talented rookies not getting enough offseason reps and then sitting on the bench unused for multiple games before being inserted and proving they're the most talented guys on the roster? What is the logic behind that? Are coaches unable to identify talent or are they risking Ls trying to prove a point? If the latter, why?

I'm sure that I could go on and on. This is an ugly team playing ugly football. They play to the quality of the opponent. They have 3 wins of 10+ points going back to 2021 but 11 such losses in the same period. Every single game is an attempted rock fight, no matter the opponent. That's why they win close and lose big.

My opinion is that the game has passed Tomlin by. He's a motivator. "Roll the ball out and let them play." The problem is that he used to coach with some of the best pros in franchise history. Now he has basically 3 great players - and one of them is about 35 years old - and a bunch of young guys. There is no more locker room self-policing. The current roster needs a teacher but that's not him.

Tomlin's other problem is that the game is more schematic than ever. Why is Tua suddenly so good after being written off? It's because he has a coach that knows how to design plays to get their best WR wide f***ing open and then coaches the QB to let it rip. We spent 24 games of our young QBs career making sure that all he could throw was a 4 yard out unless we were losing the game otherwise. It's a totally non-viable philosophy and it retarded Kenny's growth. Professional malpractice. Tomlin really needs to hire people who understand the modern game. My fear is that he won't and we'll get 2 more years of this, while hammering the lid on the coffin of KP's career in the process.
He can't hire assistant coaches if his life depended on it. 17th year and his coaching tree doesn't have a single branch. That's got to be the most damning thing to his legacy.

They are poorly coached and poorly managed. Second play of the second half and they are totally confused which personnel should be on the field. He's pretty terrible at clock management, and amazingly seems to lose every challenge. His challenges are emotion based rather than thought based.

Johnson should have been benched. Instead he got to do nothing until the game was over, at which point he made a fool out of himself with a TD dance while his team is being embarrassed.

Same with you, you really think anyone making negative observations about KP are based on 1 game yesterday?
I can make plenty of observations over the last 5 quarters and other games in his career. He's beaten, battered, had shit coaching, and hasn't been afforded the opportunity to try and make plays. He's been playing with a harness on behind a garbage OL, and a cast of characters who played like they wanted their coaches fired.

I don't know what Kenny will become, but I know the situation on the Steelers is toxic for any QB, let alone a very young one.

He can't hire assistant coaches if his life depended on it. 17th year and his coaching tree doesn't have a single branch. That's got to be the most damning thing to his legacy.

They are poorly coached and poorly managed. Second play of the second half and they are totally confused which personnel should be on the field. He's pretty terrible at clock management, and amazingly seems to lose every challenge. His challenges are emotion based rather than thought based.

Johnson should have been benched. Instead he got to do nothing until the game was over, at which point he made a fool out of himself with a TD dance while his team is being embarrassed.

Hopefully we unleash hell again in December so the luster finally starts to wear off Tomlin a bit in the eyes of the ones making the decisions. Losing consecutive home games to 2-10 teams that, if we had won, could have had us near the top of the conference would have to be up there with all-time Steeler wtf moments.

I can make plenty of observations over the last 5 quarters and other games in his career. He's beaten, battered, had shit coaching, and hasn't been afforded the opportunity to try and make plays. He's been playing with a harness on behind a garbage OL, and a cast of characters who played like they wanted their coaches fired.

I don't know what Kenny will become, but I know the situation on the Steelers is toxic for any QB, let alone a very young one.
I have no problem with differences of opinion on KP because, yes, the verdict is still out. My reply to you was mostly because you were inferring that anyone saying anything negative about him currently was because of yesterday’s game.

There is a big difference between bashing him and not being gung-ho optimistic about his prospects and potential as an above average NFL QB.
I agree, however with everything that happened yesterday he should be one of the last people getting criticized, but it's like people don't know who else to blame because they don't know football.

Reactions: FireballZ
I have no problem with differences of opinion on KP because, yes, the verdict is still out. My reply to you was mostly because you were inferring that anyone saying anything negative about him currently was because of yesterday’s game.
I made a snark comment about yesterday's game. There are people bashing his limited play in that game, when he was a bright spot early for a game that turned into a shit show.

“He was just a scapegoat,” Madden said of Canada. “I said that dating back over a year into the past, and now it’s being proven true.
Typical idiot Madden, 1. Several former players said the offense was a joke. 2. Canada got fired mid-season by THE franchise that does not do that. 3. Does anybody really think Canada will be back as an NFL OC? Pickett is a better NFL QB than Canada is an NFL OC, time will prove it to be true.

Ok, a few things. Yes, KP has not played well enough. He has missed some easy passes. He has failed to read the field. It is worrisome about his future as an NFL player. Both ceiling and floor are in question when he plays like that. That said, I think we have to be honest here. There are a LOT of problems. If KP is so bad, why were they unable to do anything yesterday without him? Why did the defense get totally worked by one of the worst teams in the NFL?

My theory is that the Steelers are incredibly poorly coached. How do I know that? Let's consider the evidence.

- They went 400+ yards the week after going 0-50 or something trying to do the same thing under Canada. They were on pace for another 400+ yard game before KP got hurt. And this was with their Center putting multiple snaps in the dirt on 3rd down. How were they able to have such a remarkable turnaround after getting rid of their OC? And before you say "quality of opponent," please consider that the Steelers played the Raiders multiple times under Canada and never hit 400+ yards. Why was Canada employed for 50ish games under these circumstances?

- Why are players now getting better when they leave the Steelers? Kevin Dotson is tearing it up while we continue to struggle at OG. Desmond King had multiple big plays yesterday, including a fumble recovery for a TD. Yet the Steelers couldn't get anything out of them. Why?

- The WR continue to make horrible plays. Running the wrong routes/turning the wrong way/running backwards/not blocking and walking on plays (DJ), not getting two feet down (Pickens). It's harder to tell compared to a sailed ball to a wide open WR but if you know what to look for it's there. Why are veteran WR still doing these things year after year?

- Why are talented rookies not getting enough offseason reps and then sitting on the bench unused for multiple games before being inserted and proving they're the most talented guys on the roster? What is the logic behind that? Are coaches unable to identify talent or are they risking Ls trying to prove a point? If the latter, why?

I'm sure that I could go on and on. This is an ugly team playing ugly football. They play to the quality of the opponent. They have 3 wins of 10+ points going back to 2021 but 11 such losses in the same period. Every single game is an attempted rock fight, no matter the opponent. That's why they win close and lose big.

My opinion is that the game has passed Tomlin by. He's a motivator. "Roll the ball out and let them play." The problem is that he used to coach with some of the best pros in franchise history. Now he has basically 3 great players - and one of them is about 35 years old - and a bunch of young guys. There is no more locker room self-policing. The current roster needs a teacher but that's not him.

Tomlin's other problem is that the game is more schematic than ever. Why is Tua suddenly so good after being written off? It's because he has a coach that knows how to design plays to get their best WR wide f***ing open and then coaches the QB to let it rip. We spent 24 games of our young QBs career making sure that all he could throw was a 4 yard out unless we were losing the game otherwise. It's a totally non-viable philosophy and it retarded Kenny's growth. Professional malpractice. Tomlin really needs to hire people who understand the modern game. My fear is that he won't and we'll get 2 more years of this, while hammering the lid on the coffin of KP's career in the process.
Well said. Like I said I think there is a good argument to be made that the Jury is still out on KP. Hes had some really good play, generally at the end of games when they essentially throw out the game plan (see Ben Rs fourth quarter stats when went hurry up and essentially called his own plays in his last year0. And of course hes missed throws and reads (which of course all Qbs do) But his are magnified because in general the offense doesnt provide that many opportunities.

However other than Perhaps Mahomes and one or two others, theres not a QB who would do much better in the league in this offense surrounded by this talent,

Typical idiot Madden, 1. Several former players said the offense was a joke. 2. Canada got fired mid-season by THE franchise that does not do that. 3. Does anybody really think Canada will be back as an NFL OC? Pickett is a better NFL QB than Canada is an NFL OC, time will prove it to be true.
Thats a really low bar........LOL

Reactions: Parkview57
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT