ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt Baseball’s sudden rise- how’d it happen?

HailToPitt725

Head Coach
May 16, 2016
I’m thoroughly enjoying Pitt Baseball’s strong start to the season and am excited to see what they can accomplish the rest of the year. However, I am a very casual follower and know next to nothing about the program, aside from that Mike Bell took over for Jordano in 2018 and was lauded as a great hire at the time.

So, for those who know more than me, how did this all happen? Has Bell been able to bring in strong recruiting classes, or perhaps a particular region he’s been going after such as the men’s soccer program’s approach of attracting international talent? Is it new blood that is making an early impact or is this the result of a upperclassmen-heavy group? Do you think Bell is to credit for the strong offensive performance or is it something more? Has this type of production followed him everywhere he’s been? Would love to learn more about this team. Thanks.

I’m thoroughly enjoying Pitt Baseball’s strong start to the season and am excited to see what they can accomplish the rest of the year. However, I am a very casual follower and know next to nothing about the program, aside from that Mike Bell took over for Jordano in 2018 and was lauded as a great hire at the time.

So, for those who know more than me, how did this all happen? Has Bell been able to bring in strong recruiting classes, or perhaps a particular region he’s been going after such as the men’s soccer program’s approach of attracting international talent? Is it new blood that is making an early impact or is this the result of a upperclassmen-heavy group? Do you think Bell is to credit for the strong offensive performance or is it something more? Has this type of production followed him everywhere he’s been? Would love to learn more about this team. Thanks.
Theyre a really old team - they have a sixth year starter in Yanni and a fifth year starter in Popa who have a ton of ACC at bats under their belts. Add a fourth year starter in Washington and a few more third year starters in Duff and Hess, and there’s a bunch of continuity in the lineup and a lot of experience seeing ACC pitching.

Then, they added a bunch of JUCO guys last year. You can often see a big jump for JUCO guys between their junior and senior year - well, we got a lot of those guys in two years ago, they played a little bit of their junior years in the shortened 2020 season, and now they’re juniors again with another fall camp under their belts, and a lot of them have taken jumps forward.

The best high school recruiting classes under Bell haven’t really even hit yet. They’ll start coming in this fall. Bell’s first few classes had a bunch of JUCOs and transfers as he turned over the roster.

Coach Bell has done a really good job of bringing in Jucos and transfers, and then combined that with some good veterans that have been here. They have a lot of experience. The initial focus was on winning with pitching and defense. He has done a really good job of getting all the players to buy into the program and come together. He has also put together a real good coaching staff. I’m still curious as to how he managed to get Devin Mesoraco on the staff as a volunteer coach no less.

Theyre a really old team - they have a sixth year starter in Yanni and a fifth year starter in Popa who have a ton of ACC at bats under their belts. Add a fourth year starter in Washington and a few more third year starters in Duff and Hess, and there’s a bunch of continuity in the lineup and a lot of experience seeing ACC pitching.

Then, they added a bunch of JUCO guys last year. You can often see a big jump for JUCO guys between their junior and senior year - well, we got a lot of those guys in two years ago, they played a little bit of their junior years in the shortened 2020 season, and now they’re juniors again with another fall camp under their belts, and a lot of them have taken jumps forward.

The best high school recruiting classes under Bell haven’t really even hit yet. They’ll start coming in this fall. Bell’s first few classes had a bunch of JUCOs and transfers as he turned over the roster.
I appreciate your last few paragraphs re: recruiting. I tried to view some recruiting rankings to see if that explained the upswing but on some sites, Pitt didn’t even crack the Top 100 in Bell’s first two seasons. The JUCO approach helps that make sense.

Coach Bell has done a really good job of bringing in Jucos and transfers, and then combined that with some good veterans that have been here. They have a lot of experience. The initial focus was on winning with pitching and defense. He has done a really good job of getting all the players to buy into the program and come together. He has also put together a real good coaching staff. I’m still curious as to how he managed to get Devin Mesoraco on the staff as a volunteer coach no less.
Mesoraco had a really good interview on a baseball podcast this week. Basically, he had moved back to Pittsburgh after his playing days were over with his wife and kid, and the volunteer gig at Pitt was a pretty seamless way to stay involved with the game at a high level, set his own schedule, and not have to move somewhere else to do it.

I'll admit I am not an expert. But between jucos veterans with extra eligibility and the mlb draft only being 5 rounds last year we are catching lightening in a bottle.

I 100% think coach bell will improve the program long term but I can't see us consistently being a top 25 program or the top of the acc on a regular basis. But I think he will make us competitive and pull out those occasional seasons.

Mesoraco had a really good interview on a baseball podcast this week. Basically, he had moved back to Pittsburgh after his playing days were over with his wife and kid, and the volunteer gig at Pitt was a pretty seamless way to stay involved with the game at a high level, set his own schedule, and not have to move somewhere else to do it.

Thanks - good stuff

Yeah the juco guys were a key. They are just more prepared to play both physically, mentally, and academically.

Thanks - good stuff
Devin is a really, really good guy. I would imagine professional coaching/managing is in his future. I don’t think he has a college degree unless he managed to work on one at some point during his career so I don’t think he can work in college full-time. That said, it’s great to have a former MLB All-Star and a Western PA native working with the program.

I'll admit I am not an expert. But between jucos veterans with extra eligibility and the mlb draft only being 5 rounds last year we are catching lightening in a bottle.

I 100% think coach bell will improve the program long term but I can't see us consistently being a top 25 program or the top of the acc on a regular basis. But I think he will make us competitive and pull out those occasional seasons.
I’m a bit more optimistic than that. I see no reason we can’t be close to or in the top 25 every year and in the top half of the ACC. With success, we could be in position to get a lot of high quality players that normally would go to B1G programs. The combination of a great on campus field, updated training facilitie, well regarded coach, the ACC network and the opportunity to play at least half of their games in the south against some of the best competition should be major selling points. If I’m a top prospect in the northeast and Midwest and wanted to stay close to home, I’d be taking a hard look at Pitt.

The real trouble is the best kids in Florida and Cali and Texas will stay there, and the best of the best in the Midwest will be recruited by some of those southern schools, too.

We have a really experienced roster right now and IIRC at least one big recruit currently committed, but make no mistake that Pitt is a tough job and playing with the best in the ACC means competing with Miami, Florida State, Louisville, Georgia Tech, UNC, Virginia... I think the only program we actually have a possible inherent advantage against is Notre Dame.

It can be done and I think focusing on pitching and defense and staying in games late, when anything can happen, is the way to go for a program in a geographical area that presents disadvantages. But what a tough road to go and the way we've won games this year hasn't always looked sustainable- but then again, beating a Florida State 1-0 or teams that are probably more talented than you 2-1 shows exactly why that blueprint might work until you can start getting Northeastern talent here. Mike Bell as the guy who'll work with those pitchers probably helps the recruiting pitch too.

I really didn't expect them to get ranked this year and it's been fun seeing them win games. Really hoping that this team stays surprisingly good because of what that could build down the line. I'm just hopeful that no one turns on the team if they sort of regress to the mean because they've been really fun and it's good seeing what they've been able to do when they probably haven't been the more talented team in an ACC series yet.

The real trouble is the best kids in Florida and Cali and Texas will stay there, and the best of the best in the Midwest will be recruited by some of those southern schools, too.

We have a really experienced roster right now and IIRC at least one big recruit currently committed, but make no mistake that Pitt is a tough job and playing with the best in the ACC means competing with Miami, Florida State, Louisville, Georgia Tech, UNC, Virginia... I think the only program we actually have a possible inherent advantage against is Notre Dame.

It can be done and I think focusing on pitching and defense and staying in games late, when anything can happen, is the way to go for a program in a geographical area that presents disadvantages. But what a tough road to go and the way we've won games this year hasn't always looked sustainable- but then again, beating a Florida State 1-0 or teams that are probably more talented than you 2-1 shows exactly why that blueprint might work until you can start getting Northeastern talent here. Mike Bell as the guy who'll work with those pitchers probably helps the recruiting pitch too.

I really didn't expect them to get ranked this year and it's been fun seeing them win games. Really hoping that this team stays surprisingly good because of what that could build down the line. I'm just hopeful that no one turns on the team if they sort of regress to the mean because they've been really fun and it's good seeing what they've been able to do when they probably haven't been the more talented team in an ACC series yet.

You summed up exactly how I feel. And agree with your last paragraph. I'm expecting them to come back down to earth a bit, but if they can remain competitive and make the field for the tourney, I'd be extremely happy. It's a fun team right now.

Boston College
BC has a much better baseball facility, FWIW. Nicer ballpark and they just opened a whole new indoor facility this year for baseball and softball that’s very nice.

BC has a much better baseball facility, FWIW. Nicer ballpark and they just opened a whole new indoor facility this year that’s very nice.

Yeah, but that's not an inherent advantage. I mean Pitt could have nicer facilities if they chose to do so. But no matter what Boston College is still going to be in the middle of an area with really poor quality high school baseball, in no small part due to the weather. And they can't control either of those two things.

Reactions: pittchagg
Can anyone tell me what it's like to get tickets? How many fans are allowed? Parking? etc? Last baseball game I attended was a few years ago vs Miami and had a great time pissing off all the Cane fans! They were top 5 at the time and traveled well.

Thanks. Is that with all spring sports on campus? Is it due to the latest outbreak or has that been the policy all along?

Yeah, it's been that way all along with all spring sports. They are only allowing a limited number of family members of the players to attend, and they have to be on a pass list ahead of time to get in. I don't know if it holds for the Pitt players, but visiting team players only get two passes each.

I hope that they change the policy soon, especially for baseball, but we will see.

Reactions: ThePanthers
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT