ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt baseball ranked #22 in new poll

What poll? I saw the D1 Baseball and Baseball America poll and they were not in the Top 25. Although D1 mentioned they were just outside of being ranked.

Obviously PLENTY of opportunities in this conference to take care of business and end up ranked down the road.

Reactions: Ronnyp91
What poll? I saw the D1 Baseball and Baseball America poll and they were not in the Top 25. Although D1 mentioned they were just outside of being ranked.

Obviously PLENTY of opportunities in this conference to take care of business and end up ranked down the road.

Oh crap, my bad. I saw it posted by someone, but it was a flobaseball ranking. 😞

Regardless, like you said, plenty of opportunity.

Oh crap, my bad. I saw it posted by someone, but it was a flobaseball ranking. 😞

whatchatalkinabout.jpg

They take 2 of 3 from Duke this weekend and they'll be ranked, for sure. Fun team. So much fight. They hooked me with that win last night. Watched all 13 innings and never felt like they were out of it. Love what Bell is doing with this team.

I don't know where to look at baseball recruiting, and I'll admit I don't follow it like football and basketball. I just really enjoy following the team though, regardless.

That said, how has Bell's recruiting been? Is this improvement of the team based on recruiting, on development, coaching, a mix of it all?

Would love some input from anyone that follows this closely.

I don't know where to look at baseball recruiting, and I'll admit I don't follow it like football and basketball. I just really enjoy following the team though, regardless.

That said, how has Bell's recruiting been? Is this improvement of the team based on recruiting, on development, coaching, a mix of it all?

A lot of the guys, especially the pitchers, were JUCO guys or transfers, which makes it tough to evaluate. Some guys from that bunch were highly ranked - CF Jordan Anderson was a top 50 player out of high school, signed with Mississippi State, played there for a year before transferring to the JUCO and then to Pitt - but a lot of other guys went to the JUCO out of high school because they weren’t highly-recruited.

He’s recruited pretty well out of the high school ranks, and it’s improved as he’s been here. They have a really good shortstop (borderline top 100 overall) signed to come in next year, and fingers crossed that he doesn’t get drafted high enough to make the pro jump and skip college. It’d be great if he came to Pitt, because I think he’d be the day one starter at shortstop next season.

But it’s a bit of a sliding scale out of the high school ranks - northern schools aren’t easy to recruit to. The JUCO and transfer guys have more of an awareness that the eligibility clock is ticking, and seem to be more willing to go to the best fit even if it isn’t in the south.

I don't follow to the extent that I paid for FloBaseball for the snowbird or the sites that follow recruiting. What I do know from listening to and reading as many free previews as I could is that Bell didn't shy from the grad transfer or JUCO markets and that this is an experienced team with several guys taking advantage of the extra year. That's not very in depth, but hopefully it'll tide you over until an expert steps in.

Really the best site for recruiting and prospects is PerfectGame.org .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT