ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt defense

gary2

Athletic Director
Jul 21, 2001
The defensive line has played well I like our group of DTs.(Wished we had better players and more depth at DE)

The linebackers have played decent (except when asked to do the ridiculous - like Zeise covering wheel routes and Brightwell covering Barkley - I remember Oduwu on Switzer last season) Has anyone actually played a play from scrimmage other than the starting three? Where is the depth?

Maddox,Jackson and Garner have been very good (that could change dramatically this week). I am not impressed by Briggs or Stocker. We need Whitehead back and need a third safety to emerge: Campbell, Miller or Ford. I doubt this happens as Narduzzi seems to like Briggs.

Maddox and Jackson look capable of playing tight man to man coverage, Garner looks like a capable safety, Whitehead will be back. The pass defense might actually be good (save Okl St).

What we need to do is to quit asking or linebackers to cover much faster and athletic players in space. It seems teams can get that matchup against us and it is disastrous.

And - What is up with Hamlin and Coleman?

Last edited:
Good points. And Bricen Garner looks like a player.

Coach Duzz's defense seems to put a lot of stress on the safeties and LBs to make reads and one false step ends up with someone running wide open. I think that's why he likes Briggs so much...

Will be interesting to see how the pass defense looks this week versus last year's game with OSU.

Go Pitt.

The defensive line has played well I like our group of DTs.(Wished we had better players and more depth at DE)

The linebackers have played decent (except when asked to do the ridiculous - like Zeise covering wheel routes and Brightwell covering Barkley - I remember Oduwu on Switzer last season) Has anyone actually played a play from scrimmage other than the starting three? Where is the depth?

Maddox,Jackson and Griner have been very good (that could change dramatically this week). I am not impressed by Briggs or Stocker. We need Whitehead back and need a third safety to emerge: Campbell, Miller or Ford. I doubt this happens as Narduzzi seems to like Briggs.

Maddox and Jackson look capable of playing tight man to man coverage, Griner looks like a capable safety, Whitehead will be back. The pass defense might actually be good (save Okl St).

What we need to do is to quit asking or linebackers to cover much faster and athletic players in space. It seems teams can get that matchup against us and it is disastrous.
If you have 3 LBs and 4 DBs on the field in the base defensive package that you have to run most of the game, and your LBs have to cover the RBs out of the backfield because the 4 DBs have their own coverage responsibilities and are occupied with other receivers, how would you propose to have someone other than a LB cover the RB? What we really need is for everyone to execute better, for the safeties to have better recognition and reaction, and for our green LBs to develop some football smarts and instincts, and not bite on every run fake they see.

Anyway, those are general statements. Barkley's 46 yard TD catch wasn't a wheel--it was a straight up, no gimmick play. No run fake, no play action, nothing. Just a good read by McSorley, I would expect he audibled to that play when he saw Garner move over pre-snap to shade the outside receiver over top of Maddox and Briggs move over and cheat up to cover the slot, leaving nobody in the deep middle. PSU ran the outside receiver deep and Garner immediately went over to double him, while Briggs went to double the slot, who ran his route into Zeise's coverage zone and was well covered by Zeise. Barkley just took off on a straight line right through the middle at the snap and only had to beat Brightwell.

We had all the players we needed to defend that play, but they didn't execute. That was not Brightwell's fault, there isn't a LB in America that can stay with Barkley one on one. Our safeties were responsible for that one, it looked like it was more likely Briggs that blew the read.

Good points. And Bricen Garner looks like a player.

Coach Duzz's defense seems to put a lot of stress on the safeties and LBs to make reads and one false step ends up with someone running wide open. I think that's why he likes Briggs so much...

Will be interesting to see how the pass defense looks this week versus last year's game with OSU.

Go Pitt.
Coach Duzz's defense seems to put a lot of stress on the safeties and LBs to make reads and one false step ends up with someone running wide open.

you are 100% right about that--but it looked like Briggs who blew the read on Barkley's 46 yarder. If he had made the right read, nobody would have been open on that play. Instead he was double teaming the slot, who was already well covered by Zeise.

Briggs is on the small side and too slow (physically and to recognize). So when he doesn't diagnose quickly, he's not fast enough to make up for it. Plays a lot like Webb. He cost them several times on Saturday.

Maddox,Jackson and Garner have been very good (that could change dramatically this week). I am not impressed by Briggs or Stocker. We need Whitehead back and need a third safety to emerge: Campbell, Miller or Ford. I doubt this happens as Narduzzi seems to like Briggs.

Maddox and Jackson look capable of playing tight man to man coverage, Garner looks like a capable safety, Whitehead will be back. The pass defense might actually be good (save Okl St).

And - What is up with Hamlin and Coleman?
Had our players thought about PITT football instead of enjoying themselves we would have had Blair in at DE, Taleni in at DT, Wiggins in at LB, &Whitehead .
If Paris Ford worked a bit harder in HS he would have been in there too!
That would have made a huge difference!

DL this goup is coming along good as a unit. I don't see any star's like we had recently with Donald then Price, but as a unit we are growing stronger here.

I was/am surprised with the LB play this past game as they played much better than I expected them to. With that said going forward they need to play even better and more depth is needed.

Secondary, much improvement, I really think both Maddox and Dane Jackson really upped their game and think Jackson's ceiling is still high . Garner seems to be a nice player to have and I will love to see him grow as a player. Briggs is serviceable, there are worse out there.

I must admit I am more concerned with getting Coleman back than I am Hamlin. I always thought Coleman was the better player between the 2 and I still believe that.

If you watched any Central Catholic games when Damar Hamlin was a Senior who was choosing between high level offers, it was hard to notice Bricen Garner. The kid was in on a bunch of plays. He covered well and he hit well. I thought he was a steal when Pitt got him.

Hamlin is a real talent. I hope he can get healthy. There is a reason why OSU and PSU wanted him badly... the kid is a player when healthy

Anyway, those are general statements. Barkley's 46 yard TD catch wasn't a wheel--it was a straight up, no gimmick play. No run fake, no play action, nothing. Just a good read by McSorley, I would expect he audibled to that play when he saw Garner move over pre-snap to shade the outside receiver over top of Maddox and Briggs move over and cheat up to cover the slot, leaving nobody in the deep middle. PSU ran the outside receiver deep and Garner immediately went over to double him, while Briggs went to double the slot, who ran his route into Zeise's coverage zone and was well covered by Zeise. Barkley just took off on a straight line right through the middle at the snap and only had to beat Brightwell.

They ran the same play not long before that and McSorely missed it.

I know McSorely isn't close to some of the better passers Pitt will face but the defense managed to shut down some decent receivers on Saturday. Seems like one or two mistakes are hurting this group weekly. OkSt will tell us if the pass coverage has improved or not.

Hamlin and Coleman are now on the official depth chart!

McSorley seems like a poor man's Palko to me. He's smart, athletic and tough which makes up for a mediocre arm. When surrounded by talent, he can hurt you. We'll see what he is next year. I remember Palko struggling as a Senior when everyone around him graduated and/or got hurt. It was tough to watch a great Panther get beat on week after week.

If you have 3 LBs and 4 DBs on the field in the base defensive package that you have to run most of the game, and your LBs have to cover the RBs out of the backfield because the 4 DBs have their own coverage responsibilities and are occupied with other receivers, how would you propose to have someone other than a LB cover the RB? What we really need is for everyone to execute better, for the safeties to have better recognition and reaction, and for our green LBs to develop some football smarts and instincts, and not bite on every run fake they see.

We had all the players we needed to defend that play, but they didn't execute. That was not Brightwell's fault, there isn't a LB in America that can stay with Barkley one on one. Our safeties were responsible for that one, it looked like it was more likely Briggs that blew the read.
Does the offense have a TB, a FB, a TE and 2 WRs? That is 5 possible receivers - That leaves 4 dbs to cover 5 receivers - Maybe a linebacker covers the FB?

Does the offense have 4 WRs and a RB - maybe the defense needs to be in a nickel?

I don't want to see any defense where a LB is covering someone like Barkley in space.

I never said the pass to Barkley was a wheel route. Maybe you are right and there should have been safety help - I sure did not see any - I think our current corners need less help than any of our linebackers covering anybody (particularly Barkley) - does that make sense to you?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT