ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt @ Duke baseball weekend thread

pittchagg

Head Coach
Gold Member
Mar 30, 2017
All three games on ACCNX this weekend, so I’m tracking on the gametracker.

Pitt up 1-0 in the bottom of the second. Hess homered in the top of the first.

Reactions: HOF Coach
All three games on ACCNX this weekend, so I’m tracking on the gametracker.

Pitt up 1-0 in the bottom of the second. Hess homered in the top of the first.
Need to do something about the bottom of the lineup.

Kind of a big drop in production quality of the presentation from Florida State if you're watching on ACCNX

Pitt is not looking terrific this afternoon. Still in the 2nd, just walked in a run. This is 4-0 at this juncture with only 3 hits for Duke.

Reactions: gary2
Had something going in the top of the 3rd, only to get picked off at 1st to end the inning. Duke additionally with a great play in center field earlier in the inning. This is a tough game. We're making all the mistakes, but this one could be going differently without too too much changing.

Duke is using the bats more effectively with two hits and they're up 5-0, leaving a man on 3rd to end the 3rd inning; the quip about the game not having to be too different to get a different result may no longer apply. This just may not be our day.

Frank’s needs to sit

Maybe Anderson too.

Need more than what we have been getting.

Franks gets a bunt hit. He must have heard me dumping on him.

I was curious and took a look at Duke’s recruiting and roster. Seems like they typically sign top 25 classes. They have a handful of PA kids committed for 2022, all of them from the Philly suburbs. They even have a kid from PA committed for the class of 2024 - an infielder from Harrisburg who hasn’t even played a game of high school baseball yet!

They have a huge roster - almost 50 kids versus Pitt’s 36. They have two kids right now from PA - an infielder from Somerset and an infielder from Easton.

I was curious and took a look at Duke’s recruiting and roster. Seems like they typically sign top 25 classes. They have a handful of PA kids committed for 2022, all of them from the Philly suburbs. They even have a kid from PA committed for the class of 2024 - an infielder from Harrisburg who hasn’t even played a game of high school baseball yet!

They have a huge roster - almost 50 kids versus Pitt’s 36. They have two kids right now from PA - an infielder from Somerset and an infielder from Easton.
I was surprised by Duke. I looked at their record and it was not impressive (admit I did not look at who they played).

Both their pitching and their hitting were impressive. Look at those averages.

It was great to squeeze out a late win.

I was surprised by Duke. I looked at their record and it was not impressive (admit I did not look at who they played).

Both their pitching and their hitting were impressive. Look at those averages.

It was great to squeeze out a late win.
I know Duke’s Friday starter was a top 100 prospect coming out of high school. They were picked to be a middle of the pack ACC team this year and make the NCAA tournament. Their catcher was an All-American last year, and they made a super regional in 2018 and 2019.

I know Duke’s Friday starter was a top 100 prospect coming out of high school. They were picked to be a middle of the pack ACC team this year and make the NCAA tournament. Their catcher was an All-American last year, and they made a super regional in 2018 and 2019.
Duke had other losses to Coastal Carolina, East Carolina and 2 to BC.

I think Coastal Carolina generally has a good team.

And Coastal is generally a good team- pretty sure they won it all just a few seasons back, although it may have been their only title.

Reactions: DevilDog42
One of the FSU announcers said that Wake Forest was his pick for the surprise of the year in the ACC because of their pitching. He said they have 5 pitchers who “touch” 95 or more on their fastballs.

Right now, they are 3-4 (all home games) and have been “touched” for 45 runs in those 7 games.

One of the FSU announcers said that Wake Forest was his pick for the surprise of the year in the ACC because of their pitching. He said they have 5 pitchers who “touch” 95 or more on their fastballs.

Is it even that unusual at this point for a high level college team to have five pitchers who touch 95 with their fastball?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT