ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt-Duke Thoughts…

I’m not seeing the talent some claim Johnson has. Mybe I’m missing something but I don’t see an explosive/elusive athlete. Hes been pedestrian on punt returns

Powell has to go. He plays favorites with guys like CBo and sits his bets talent. Izzy had to sit for a few years. He also apparently picked Junko over the transfer. Junko cost them the game today

I like our safety’s. Would have been nice to see some of the young QBs get some PT rather than watching Williams and the other seniors get burned

Amazing how the DL went from a strength to Mediocre at best Is it time to can bates as well

There’s just a really bad vibe around this team. I’m not sure it’s curable unless there is a change at the top or wholesale coaching changes

I’m not seeing the talent some claim Johnson has. Mybe I’m missing something but I don’t see an explosive/elusive athlete. Hes been pedestrian on punt returns

Powell has to go. He plays favorites with guys like CBo and sits his bets talent. Izzy had to sit for a few years. He also apparently picked Junko over the transfer. Junko cost them the game today

I like our safety’s. Would have been nice to see some of the young QBs get some PT rather than watching Williams and the other seniors get burned

Amazing how the DL went from a strength to Mediocre at best Is it time to can bates as well

There’s just a really bad vibe around this team. I’m not sure it’s curable unless there is a change at the top or wholesale coaching changes
I would not call it a bad vibe. I think that is more of a fan thing. The fans feel bad vibes. On the field, you don’t see too much jawing back and forth. I think you just saw a bad offense and an average defense. And nothing else.

The Steelers have a really bad vibe with Johnson and Pickens. They are cancers and have to go. Pitt basketball had that with Trey, X, Au’Diese and Hugley. Guys can have talent all day but there comes a point where the BS outweighs the talent. Pitt basketball was a lot better without the aforementioned and the Steelers will eventually be better without the two noted.

I don’t see the same thing with Pitt football. A bad attitude guy or set of guys that show people up on the field or create issues. I just saw a not good football team, which is different.

Just my view and maybe there are issues behind the scenes. But I just do not see cancer on the field, I see a lack of playmakers on D and a bad offense. That is a different thing.

Reactions: pittbb80
With how they want to play D, they need more from the DL. It was the glaring difference year over year. They missed Kancey as anyone would have thought but Alexandre, Haba and Morgan were all badly missed too. Haba likely should have come back for both his own career and Pitt but it is done now.
100% facts. Kancey and Dennis up the middle ran that D. Kancey a beast who made tons of plays, but being constantly doubled he freed up others to make plays. And Dennis was not only the top LB PN had, PN said he was the best leader he ever had.

Alexandre (underrated) Haba etc all were players but Kancey made them that much better. Need to add at least 2 DL transfers who can help right away. Unless Ghost or a true frosh DT is ready this team is extremely thin at DT. I thought Fitz would be much better and Donald clearly is not it.

Definitely some bad vibes with this bunch. We didn't feel like a young team that just needed to play through some inexperience as much as we felt like a largely veteran team that:

Mostly underachieved

Mailed it in at times

Didn't get better

Took a lot of stupid penalties

Were quick to air grievances on Twitter but not so quick to lower a shoulder into contact

We weren't oozing with talent, but we were a lot more talented than going 3-9 or losing a game by 51 points

Reactions: jctrack
100% facts. Kancey and Dennis up the middle ran that D. Kancey a beast who made tons of plays, but being constantly doubled he freed up others to make plays. And Dennis was not only the top LB PN had, PN said he was the best leader he ever had.

Alexandre (underrated) Haba etc all were players but Kancey made them that much better. Need to add at least 2 DL transfers who can help right away. Unless Ghost or a true frosh DT is ready this team is extremely thin at DT. I thought Fitz would be much better and Donald clearly is not it.
DT, DE and CB need to be priorities come Monday. They lose a lot at CB with no real experience behind it. With the other positions, they have some young guys worth monitoring as note but I think that they need to try to add some impact at both positions. You would think that their defensive success and style would speak to some really solid defensive players. The NIL is great, but it is only a component. Guys want to get to places that can get them to the League and the coaches at Pitt for those positions have a really good track record of that.

DT, DE and CB need to be priorities come Monday. They lose a lot at CB with no real experience behind it. With the other positions, they have some young guys worth monitoring as note but I think that they need to try to add some impact at both positions. You would think that their defensive success and style would speak to some really solid defensive players. The NIL is great, but it is only a component. Guys want to get to places that can get them to the League and the coaches at Pitt for those positions have a really good track record of that.
I was not impressed with any of the Pitt CBS this year especially Williams.

I was not impressed with any of the Pitt CBS this year especially Williams.
I think that they were all different levels of fine. No one stood out though. I would actually say that Williams was easily the best one, then Devonshire, then Woods.

It felt like, and I think that the stats would prove, that Devonshire was near almost every long or big-time third down conversion by Pitt's opponents this year. It was wild to see, I think.

In their defense, Pitt had no real pass rush this year. That is going to make it hard on any set of CBs. A better pass rush and all of them would have looked solidly better.

I think that they were all different levels of fine. No one stood out though. I would actually say that Williams was easily the best one, then Devonshire, then Woods.

With the way we play defense, it's easy for the corners to get exposed even if they are mostly playing well.

I can remember a lot of people here bitching about Avonte Maddox when he was here, he was awful, he needs to be benched, he can't play, the backup would clearly be better. And then he got hurt and missed some time, and people saw how much better he was than his backup. And then he got drafted by a good NFL team and has played a lot of football for them for the last six seasons.

Reactions: FireballZ
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT