ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt-Duke Thoughts…

4upmc

Junior
Gold Member
Nov 13, 2017
Nate had a good game. Yes he had his 1st INT but if #7 catches the TD that hit him in both hands and C’bo doesn’t get a penalty there is never an INT.

Otherwise he spread the ball around well. Went through progressions. Did fairly well escaping pressure with a nice pass to Johnson. Was 7 for 7 on a 93 yd TD drive. Showed nice touch on a 22 yd pass between 4 defenders. Nice scramble (didn’t panic like the other 2 QB’s) to find Bub for the TD, great catch BTW from Bub. And this was all with no running game today and of course the worst OC around.

Best thing about the season finally being over is FC getting fired. Alliance 412 should allow the person who makes the largest donation by end of day the opportunity to fire that clown.

Kradel and Blake mailed it it, glad these 2 and our other WPIAL lineman are done.

This won’t be popular…cause so many love Gavin (he’s good but no star) cause he made a leap over a defender, but Johnson is a more complete TE. He is a million times better blocker and and the past few games has became a nice target for Nate.

Our punter gave them a TD, cut him.

And another bonehead play was Duke has 3rd and 16 and we have Dayon and Sam our 2 best pass rushers on the bench. Why??? No excuse for this.

Besides getting rid of FC and some other coaches…it’s time to push many players out the door.

Dayon said he is coming back. And need to throw lots of NIL $ at Bub the top weapon on O to get him back.

Glad the season is over now it should be a real interesting off season.

Kama0043, You want guys like Deshields, Dayon, Bub, the C Moore, Karter, some of the younger guys, the WR core is pretty good, the young LBs, Sam O, etc. (this just off top of my head.)

But I can make a long list of guys that need to go. Even some guys that have talent but have the wrong attitude which can hurt the locker room.

Nate had a good game. Yes he had his 1st INT but if #7 catches the TD that hit him in both hands and C’bo doesn’t get a penalty there is never an INT.

Otherwise he spread the ball around well. Went through progressions. Did fairly well escaping pressure with a nice pass to Johnson. Was 7 for 7 on a 93 yd TD drive. Showed nice touch on a 22 yd pass between 4 defenders. Nice scramble (didn’t panic like the other 2 QB’s) to find Bub for the TD, great catch BTW from Bub. And this was all with no running game today and of course the worst OC around.

Best thing about the season finally being over is FC getting fired. Alliance 412 should allow the person who makes the largest donation by end of day the opportunity to fire that clown.

Kradel and Blake mailed it it, glad these 2 and our other WPIAL lineman are done.

This won’t be popular…cause so many love Gavin (he’s good but no star) cause he made a leap over a defender, but Johnson is a more complete TE. He is a million times better blocker and and the past few games has became a nice target for Nate.

Our punter gave them a TD, cut him.

And another bonehead play was Duke has 3rd and 16 and we have Dayon and Sam our 2 best pass rushers on the bench. Why??? No excuse for this.

Besides getting rid of FC and some other coaches…it’s time to push many players out the door.

Dayon said he is coming back. And need to throw lots of NIL $ at Bub the top weapon on O to get him back.

Glad the season is over now it should be a real interesting off season.
Torn on Means. Yeah, he isa big play maker and we don't have anyone else, but he short arms balls occasionally, gives up on plays and is an inconsistent route runner.

I am thinking let him go, find someone better.

Reactions: kma0043
I like Bub but if it comes down to a real NIL package for him or they can land a punter and a DT that can make some plays, I would go for the latter. I think Pitt will be fine without Bub as long as they still have Reynolds, Johnson and Mumpfield.

Bub back for NIL?? Haha no thanks. That’d be almost as careless as paying for Jurkovic
Hahaha not even close. I’ll back it up with numbers:

He leads all WRs, backs, TE,s in Yards and TD,s. He more big plays than anyone on O and it’s not even close. This is not OSU, Bama etc, at Pitt he is the top weapon. If he didn’t have to play with Phil he would have had a better season than Wayne had last year.

Torn on Means. Yeah, he isa big play maker and we don't have anyone else, but he short arms balls occasionally, gives up on plays and is an inconsistent route runner.

That’s the problem players who are better than him Pitt can’t afford and you know this.

Reactions: Mikefln
I like Bub but if it comes down to a real NIL package for him or they can land a punter and a DT that can make some plays, I would go for the latter. I think Pitt will be fine without Bub as long as they still have Reynolds, Johnson and Mumpfield.
It’s well know Pitt likes to keep its top players first and paid to keep the likes of KP, Kancey, Dennis, Hill etc. Therefore, this team can pay for Bub and still pay to bring in a DT etc.

Plus, they won’t have to pay Bub near the money they payed these other guys.

Reactions: TheChair
I’m ok with lots of transfers going as long as decent ones are coming in. The ‘stink’ from this year is attached to this roster so a major roll over may be an ok thing.

I'm to a point where there is just something rotten with this group of players. I might take assignment-based guys who play with fundamentals over guys like Kamara who look like Tarzan but have no idea how to play football.

Reactions: gary2
That’s the problem players who are better than him Pitt can’t afford and you know this.
I think our problem with the transfer portal was every bit as much a lack of interest and effort as a lack of money. I think you know that.

Reactions: Farnox
It’s well know Pitt likes to keep its top players first and paid to keep the likes of KP, Kancey, Dennis, Hill etc. Therefore, this team can pay for Bub and still pay to bring in a DT etc.
I get you and I like Bub. I think he played better as the QBs were better and while he does some very odd things, he makes plays. That said, I would not view him as core as the aforementioned guys. I think he can be replaced internally by Johnson after an offseason of physical development in all seriousness.

If I were any of these WRs, I would be waiting to see what Pitt does with the OC position before committing to anything.

Reactions: jctrack and 4upmc

He’s ok. If he wants to come back, fine. But like in the Godfather…

Here’s my offer. NOTHING.

Reactions: gary2

Johnson hasn't shown me he is any more of a receiver than Q Henderson, honestly. I've not seen him run great routes, make contested catches, etc. Bub is the much more complete receiver, in my opinion.

I get you and I like Bub. I think he played better as the QBs were better and while he does some very odd things, he makes plays. That said, I would not view him as core as the aforementioned guys. I think he can be replaced internally by Johnson after an offseason of physical development in all seriousness.

If I were any of these WRs, I would be waiting to see what Pitt does with the OC position before committing to anything.
Makes sense. I like Johnson but some say he wants to leave and have you watched some of his body language…it’s not what you want. Hopefully it’s just a frustrated young guy who will learn from it. Because no doubt he has talent as I hyped him up early in the year.

Last edited:
Johnson hasn't shown me he is any more of a receiver than Q Henderson, honestly. I've not seen him run great routes, make contested catches, etc. Bub is the much more complete receiver, in my opinion.
Johnson has talent but like you said he needs to improve in many areas. College football is no longer about development it’s a year by year deal. PN will want to bounce back and Johnson may be the guy in the long run but Bub is far better right now

The lack of wr development falls on underwood. He can pack his bags too

I'm bigger on Means and Mumpfield than a lot of people on here. And I actually like Reynolds, too (as a third option only). But there were definitely a lot of times when they had no idea what the assignments were. Hot reads, options vs man or zone, etc.

I'm bigger on Means and Mumpfield than a lot of people on here. And I actually like Reynolds, too (as a third option only). But there were definitely a lot of times when they had no idea what the assignments were. Hot reads, options vs man or zone, etc.
I do like the 3 u mentioned and think with a much better wr coach they'll improve.

Reynolds’s was a nice solid pick up. Good hands and moves the chains.

Johnson has talent but like you said he needs to improve in many areas. College football is no longer about development it’s a year by year deal. PN will want to bounce back and Johnson may be the guy in the long run but Bub is far better right now

I think fans became enamored with him because they saw the lack of production by the guys playing and then he had that return and a few catches, etc. But I've mostly seen him run simple slants and crosses. Bub really stepped up and became a complete receiver this season. He easily goes over 1,000 if our QB situation isn't a mess.

Reactions: 4upmc
Makes sense. I like Johnson but some say he wants to leave and have you watched some of his body language…it’s not what you want. Hopefully it’s just a frustrated young guy who will learn from it. Because no doubt he has talent as I hoped him up early in the year.
I tend to think that they have recruited the position well lately. Narduzzi has raved about Polk a lot, Fowler was not far from the field and Seymore looked like a player on HS tape. Add in Reynolds and Mumpfield and I think that they are dealing from strength at the position though more talent is always welcomed.

Put it this way, if it comes down to paying to retain Bub or Deandre Jules, I am going with Jules. Bub also may not be able to transfer so his decision may be different than some other guys.

This offense largely did not do the WRs any favors until they replaced Phil. Phil was hideous. And by that point, I think it was just too deep in the season and the QBs were too green. But the WRs showed something in my view.

For what it is worth, I am with you on Karter Johnson. Hell of a player and best TE on this team. Much more complete than Gavin though I would rather have both instead of losing one.

Reactions: FireballZ and 4upmc
I think fans became enamored with him because they saw the lack of production by the guys playing and then he had that return and a few catches, etc. But I've mostly seen him run simple slants and crosses. Bub really stepped up and became a complete receiver this season. He easily goes over 1,000 if our QB situation isn't a mess.
Yes the return and some runs but as a WR he has a ways to go. He has a chance to be really good BUT Bub is really good right now. We both said with real QB play Bub is over 1000 yards. He can really take the top off the D.

I tend to think that they have recruited the position well lately. Narduzzi has raved about Polk a lot, Fowler was not far from the field and Seymore looked like a player on HS tape. Add in Reynolds and Mumpfield and I think that they are dealing from strength at the position though more talent is always welcomed.

Put it this way, if it comes down to paying to retain Bub or Deandre Jules, I am going with Jules. Bub also may not be able to transfer so his decision may be different than some other guys.

This offense largely did not do the WRs any favors until they replaced Phil. Phil was hideous. And by that point, I think it was just too deep in the season and the QBs were too green. But the WRs showed something in my view.

For what it is worth, I am with you on Karter Johnson. Hell of a player and best TE on this team. Much more complete than Gavin though I would rather have both instead of losing one.

You know we're screwed when we're talking about only being able to afford either Bub Means or DeAndre Jules.

Reactions: jctrack and PittMBA
Chair & wolf, we most def need Jules he’s the only DT. I don’t think it has to be one or the other as Pitt should be able to keep both. Both can get $ but not like Jordan, Kancey, KP, Dennis… so I see no reason why both can’t be kept IMO

You know we're screwed when we're talking about only being able to afford either Bub Means or DeAndre Jules.
I meant more in terms of allocating funds. Some guys you will want to keep and some you just will not think are worth the deal offered on the other end. There is no sense paying up for the sake of paying up; that is a fool’s errand. But, I am taking an athletic large DT over Means considering what Pitt has in total if someone makes an equally outrageous or highly competitive offer to both of them.

we most def need Jules he’s the only DT. I don’t think it has to be one or the other as Pitt should be able to keep both. Both can get $ but not like Jordan, Kancey, KP, Dennis… so I see no reason why both can’t be kept IMO

That's what I mean: We're not exactly talking about Addison and Kancey here, haha.

I do think our culture saved us for a few years, whereas many other schools on our level were getting decimated in the portal. Guys like Dennis and Kancey turning down big money to return to Pitt probably isn't the norm. I'm afraid we might succumb to the current landscape of college football now, though. What a mess.

Chair & wolf, we most def need Jules he’s the only DT. I don’t think it has to be one or the other as Pitt should be able to keep both. Both can get $ but not like Jordan, Kancey, KP, Dennis… so I see no reason why both can’t be kept IMO
With NIL, FWIW, the things that scare me more actually are if people get skippy with the prospects. Guys like Okunlola, Lovelace, Johnson, etc.

As for both of those guys, I think for Means it is moot because I do not think he can transfer again. Jules though can if he wants. He also can go pro. Not sure if he has enough tape but when he is on, he looks like a next level guy. For what they want to do on D, he, Okunlola and Hayes are probably the guys that they can least afford to lose.

I meant more in terms of allocating funds. Some guys you will want to keep and some you just will not think are worth the deal offered on the other end. There is no sense paying up for the sake of paying up; that is a fool’s errand. But, I am taking an athletic large DT over Means considering what Pitt has in total if someone makes an equally outrageous or highly competitive offer to both of them.

I was mostly joking, though it's also a little depressing.

But yeah - there are certain positions I would value more than others. This team absolutely needs a plus d line to thrive.

With NIL, FWIW, the things that scare me more actually are if people get skippy with the prospects. Guys like Okunlola, Lovelace, Johnson, etc.

As for both of those guys, I think for Means it is moot because I do not think he can transfer again. Jules though can if he wants. He also can go pro. Not sure if he has enough tape but when he is on, he looks like a next level guy. For what they want to do on D, he, Okunlola and Hayes are probably the guys that they can least afford to lose.

I think Means can go anywhere as a graduate transfer. I know he transferred twice, but that was as an undergrad.

And yeah - if it starts turning into that with unproven prospects (like Neal, who we supposedly had to pay up to land), then forget about it. Might as well just go all in on basketball at that point.

Agree with you both need a plus DL. Need another DT to go along with Jules as you most likely can’t count on a frosh. Need a good transfer DT bad.

Cornerback could be a nightmare next season. I think there is a WPIAL guy doing well at Miami (OH)... maybe we could pilfer him. But you can follow the volume of offers and the transfers to discern that we've had a lot of recruiting misses in the secondary.

I think we expected Khalil Anderson to be an NFL lockdown guy, and he wasn't anything close to that.

Agree with you both need a plus DL. Need another DT to go along with Jules as you most likely can’t count on a frosh. Need a good transfer DT bad.
With how they want to play D, they need more from the DL. It was the glaring difference year over year. They missed Kancey as anyone would have thought but Alexandre, Haba and Morgan were all badly missed too. Haba likely should have come back for both his own career and Pitt but it is done now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT