ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Article Pitt flips DE Temple from MTSU

You guys realize that stars predict success just as often as coaches do right? To say that if a coach thinks he’s good enough, then it’s good enough for me is moronic and shows you are unable to make your own determination. 50% of kids that coaches offer never see a snap for their team. Why would you blindly accept their evaluation and think that 100% of the kids they offer will be successful?
Thanks, big nerd. Awesome insight!

Reactions: BigBird80
I don’t want this to turn into a “I think George sucks” thing. He is great and fits at Pitt with the skill he brings. I think Ollison will turn into a FB in the league, and a damn good one too.

Ollison will make roster as a RB not a FB.

I don’t want this to turn into a “I think George sucks” thing. He is great and fits at Pitt with the skill he brings. I think Ollison will turn into a FB in the league, and a damn good one too.

Off the top of my head, Weaver, Carter, Jones, Bright, Aston, Morrisey, Lopes, Idowu, Millin, Herndon, Wirginis, Jackson, Hargrove, Pinnock, Briggs, Mack, Tipton, Jones, Reynolds, Ffrench, Hargrove, even Pickett for that matter-

Were all lightly recruited players and lower rated recruits. At least half of them will have a shot at a NFL roster.

You guys ever notice how it’s the same 3-4 players that are constantly brought up to justify taking a lower rates kid?

But but but... Aaron Donald!

Don’t you think it’s telling that list is so short?

Reactions: Pitt-Chains
You guys ever notice how it’s the same 3-4 players that are constantly brought up to justify taking a lower rates kid?

But but but... Aaron Donald!

Don’t you think it’s telling that list is so short?

Exactly! This is how they justify it, here is the script.

-If the kid has 4-5 stars, it’s “See, Duzz can reel in the big fish”!
-If the kid is a 3 star, but has offers that may or may not be legit, it becomes “He’s underrated because look at all of the offers he has.”
-If the kid is a 2 star who shouldn’t be on a roster, it becomes, “you guys are so negative, I watched his film, he’s a beast and Duzz is great at finding talent.”

Deep down, they know the recruiting is subpar. You could make an NFL all-pro team from the most highly recruited kids across the country in the last 8 years. I am not against taking a couple projects and hope you hit gold, but this kid specifically has no business getting a scholarship to play in the ACC. He should have been a preferred walk on.

You guys realize that stars predict success just as often as coaches do right? To say that if a coach thinks he’s good enough, then it’s good enough for me is moronic and shows you are unable to make your own determination. 50% of kids that coaches offer never see a snap for their team. Why would you blindly accept their evaluation and think that 100% of the kids they offer will be successful?

Star ratings are flawed as well.

Take a look at the ratings over the last few years and there are many outliers

The fact is even NFL draft ratings have a large number of kids who are rated high and miss as Visa versa. Projecting talent is incredibly difficult

While a team that consistently recruits in the top 10 there’s a high probability that team will be succuessfil. However given the uncertainty in the rankings the difference between a 20 and. 40 ranked class is far less likely to correlate with performance

No one is saying stars are not completely irrelevant but they are not the definitive be all end all. Crapping all over a kid because he doesn’t have 4! Stars is silly

And yes me personally I’d trust someone’s opinion whose life depended upon the successs if these kids rather than some dope who works for a recruiting service.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sb...llege-football-recruiting-rankings-2018-class
https://n.rivals.com/news/rivals-top-50-recruiting-teams-of-the-past-five-years

And who do you stargazers think are playing for UCF? And for that matter look at the stars playing for Miami. And what about Rashad Weaver?

The fact is even NFL draft ratings have a large number of kids who are rated high and miss as Visa versa. Projecting talent is incredibly difficult

While a team that consistently recruits in the top 10 there’s a high probability that team will be succuessfil. However given the uncertainty in the rankings the difference between a 20 and. 40 ranked class is far less likely to correlate with performance

No one is saying stars are not completely irrelevant but they are not the definitive be all end all. Crapping all over a kid because he doesn’t have 4! Stars is silly

And yes me personally I’d trust someone’s opinion whose life depended upon the successs if these kids rather than some dope who works for a recruiting service.

I don’t know if I’d trust anyone whose life depended on the success of his talent evaluations over a ranking service but perhaps the evaluatuon by the coaching staff of the ACC Coastal champs merits some special consideration.

Reactions: PittInMissouri
As a starter? Maybe not.
But is he slower than Conner?

Yes, I believe by a large margin he is much slower. I remember on the broadcast this year, them talking about how Connor clocked in at rush’s over 20 miles an hour. I don’t think Q gets anywhere near 20 miles an hour.

And who do you stargazers think are playing for UCF? And for that matter look at the stars playing for Miami. And what about Rashad Weaver?

In recruiting, perception is reality. Pitt is having an outstanding year, and needs to capitalize with higher profile recruits. That is hell programs go from decent too good to great. Duzz has showed the capability to be an outstanding coach who is obviously able to motivate players. The difference between 8 wins and 10 wins is recruiting better

Yes, I believe by a large margin he is much slower. I remember on the broadcast this year, them talking about how Connor clocked in at rush’s over 20 miles an hour. I don’t think Q gets anywhere near 20 miles an hour.
I would generally think Connor is faster than Ollison although I have thought Ollison looks faster this year compared to past years. In any case, I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone use mph when discussing how fast a RB is.

He’s not fast enough to play RB in the league. He’s just not.
He needs to transform his body like Conner did this past offseason.

James was not in good enough shape in his first steelers season to be productive. Luckily since he had been drafted high, he was given some leeway. Olly is likely to be a low pick or UFA. There's not going to be as many chances for him. So i hope he consults with JC and is hitting the gym hard already to be better prepared for the combine and whatever camp he ends up in.

Reactions: FurioGiunta
I would generally think Connor is faster than Ollison although I have thought Ollison looks faster this year compared to past years. In any case, I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone use mph when discussing how fast a RB is.

I have heard it referenced on broadcasts and I think it has become en vogue over the past year. The idea is to get the player's top speed rather than the time to cover an arbitrary distance of 40 yds.

Obviously the fastest speeds are on long runs or returns where the player can accelerate to top speed in open field without having to change direction. There are a small handful of guys that top out around 22 mph. Tyreke Hill is considered the fastest in the NFL and I think is the only guy to crack 23 mph. For perspective, Usain Bolt clocks in at 27 mph!

Reactions: FurioGiunta

What about Ollison's game makes you think he would be better suited to be a fullback in the NFL?

Ah, the tricks the eye and mind play...

See the headline of the thread.

First split sec reaction: we flipped a big recruit due to the recent success! Whoo hoo! Text my buddies!

Second split sec reaction: Oh, it was only a recruit from Temple. Hold off on that text.

Third split sec reaction: hey, that's ok, Temple doesn't suck as bad as they used to. Might still be worth mentioning...

Fourth split sec reaction: Oh wait, his NAME is Temple.

Fifth split sec reaction: ... and we took him from ... squinting ... MTSwhoozit?

Sixth split sec reaction: what the hell is MTSU?

Seventh reaction: ah forget it

I think Alston’s athletic ability is not fully appreciated. Not sure how fast he is now after the injury but two years ago. I recall reading somewhere that he’s pretty fast for a guy his size.

The kid will play in the NFL. At the very least he’d be a special teams deamon and will be in packages where they need a lead blocker

As far as Ollison is concerned he does seem faster and more nimble this year. He doesn’t get caught from behind as much. As someone else said head going to have to work as hard as JC did to latch on to an NFL gig. I can’t see him being drafted till the late rounds and likely will be a FA

I think Alston’s athletic ability is not fully appreciated. Not sure how fast he is now after the injury but two years ago. I recall reading somewhere that he’s pretty fast for a guy his size.

The kid will play in the NFL. At the very least he’d be a special teams deamon and will be in packages where they need a lead blocker

As far as Ollison is concerned he does seem faster and more nimble this year. He doesn’t get caught from behind as much. As someone else said head going to have to work as hard as JC did to latch on to an NFL gig. I can’t see him being drafted till the late rounds and likely will be a FA

His name is Aston.

Not Ashton, and not Alston.

He's a cult-hero for Pitt and will go down as one of the all-time favorite "non-stars" in Pitt history. The least we could do is spell his freaking name right.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...numbers-why-the-sites-get-the-rankings-right/

Odds of Becoming an All-American, by Recruiting Ranking
5–Star: 1 in 4.
Top 100: 1 in 6.
4–Star: 1 in 16.
3–Star: 1 in 56.
2–Star: 1 in 127.

2008-12_Recruiting-Head-to-Head_Chart.jpg

On the final count, the higher-ranked team according to the recruiting rankings won almost exactly two-thirds of the time (66.4 percent of the time, to be exact), and every "class" as a whole had a winning record against every class ranked below it every single year.

This is AGGREGATE data; you can't apply it to one player. I hope Narduzzi can be the coach that deviates from the line graph. Exceptions exist. But on the whole, more stars = more wins by a correlation that is pretty solid.

Reactions: pittdan77
There’s always a chance he won’t be drafted. It would be shocking not to see him make a NFL roster next season, though.

If he's going to go towards the end of the draft he actually might be better off to not get drafted, because then he and his agent can assess which teams use guys like him more frequently and which of those are likely to have openings.

Exactly! This is how they justify it, here is the script.

-If the kid has 4-5 stars, it’s “See, Duzz can reel in the big fish”!
-If the kid is a 3 star, but has offers that may or may not be legit, it becomes “He’s underrated because look at all of the offers he has.”
-If the kid is a 2 star who shouldn’t be on a roster, it becomes, “you guys are so negative, I watched his film, he’s a beast and Duzz is great at finding talent.”

Deep down, they know the recruiting is subpar. You could make an NFL all-pro team from the most highly recruited kids across the country in the last 8 years. I am not against taking a couple projects and hope you hit gold, but this kid specifically has no business getting a scholarship to play in the ACC. He should have been a preferred walk on.
How many 4 star QBs did we have transfer in because they peaked in high school?

Ah, the tricks the eye and mind play...

See the headline of the thread.

First split sec reaction: we flipped a big recruit due to the recent success! Whoo hoo! Text my buddies!

Second split sec reaction: Oh, it was only a recruit from Temple. Hold off on that text.

Third split sec reaction: hey, that's ok, Temple doesn't suck as bad as they used to. Might still be worth mentioning...

Fourth split sec reaction: Oh wait, his NAME is Temple.

Got to admit, I got a chuckle (not enough for a like, though) out of that. Even if that were the case, you must remember both Pickett and Sear flipped from Temple. (Oh, forget about Sear . . . )

Well, he did it last year when GA was out. He’s a slower big guy who has decent hands. He can be pretty useful in the league. IMO

He did it out of need but I didn't see anything that would make an NFL team want to play him there. The distinct difference in the run game between last season and this, is due in no small part to the fact that Aston (Alston, Ashton, Austin, etc.) took that spot back. I get the question about Ollison's athleticism but I don't think that means he defaults to a FB as a pro. More likely someone keeps him as a backup short yardage guy that can play ST.

I don’t see it.

Ollison showed plenty of speed with some long runs including the 97 yarder.

He’s versatile enough to make a roster

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT