ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt: football or basketball

Cap pitt

Junior
Jul 20, 2014
which are you feeling good about, and which, not so much. For me I feel better about basketball, after 2 good seasons, not feeling as much hope for football as I do for basketball. After 3 - 9 , not much to look forward too. After winning the acc good programs progress not regress, We will see,

Last edited:
Definitely basketball. Especially when most predictions I’ve seen for the ACC in 2024 have us finishing in the bottom 5 of the conference.

Its a lot easier to use NIL for a 12 man basketball roster and be competitive than trying to do the same for an 85 man football team

Reactions: Farnox
Basketball, of course. We don't have a quarterback, and that's something Narduzzi has struggled with for some time (among other challenges).

Not sure about that. If Yarnell isn't up to snuff, Eli is nipping at his heels to either make Yarnell better or be the guy.

I'm bullish about this season.

I'd be pleasantly surprised with 6-6. Eli doesn't look like a QB at all to me, and Yarnell just isn't very athletic.

I'd love for both to prove me wrong.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
Neither. I fear that with the portal and NIL our best years, as few as they are, are behind us,

Basketball is about as close to a free-for-all as it gets. We may never be a top ten stalwart for as long as we were again, but we could easily catch fire and do better in the postseason.

Neither. I fear that with the portal and NIL our best years, as few as they are, are behind us,
One sport has handled the portal and NIL very skillfully, and there’s no indication that that will stop being the case.

I’m not even saying that Pitt football has handled it poorly…but maybe the truth is that NIL has repeatedly gutted Pitt football and resulted in players getting poached, while NIL really hasn’t touched Pitt basketball in any kind of negative sense.

Every school in america that cant compete in an NIL world...which is about 90-95%

Will become basketball schools.

Yeah, that's definitely the other side of it. It's easy to say, "It's too difficult to compete in football in the NIL age; let's just become a basketball school," but there are like 100 other schools who are in our relative tier in basketball. We could put together a really good team, and it might make a Final Four or it might not even make the tournament.

But... at least you can sell hope in basketball. Hasn't been so easy to do in football lately.

Last edited:
which are you feeling good about, and which, not so much. For me I feel better about basketball, after 2 good seasons, not feeling as much hope for football as I do for basketball. After 3 - 9 , not much to look forward too. After winning the acc good programs progress not regress, We will see,

Is this even a question? The bball team made the Round of 32 2 years ago, took #1 seed UNC to the wire in the ACC semis this year and were Mountain West'd out of an NCAA bid. This year's team is in early bracketology predictions and I personally feel the team has Sweet 16 potential.

Reactions: Celtsfan
Basketball is about as close to a free-for-all as it gets. We may never be a top ten stalwart for as long as we were again, but we could easily catch fire and do better in the postseason.

Right. Nowadays, most of the teams have equal talent. You gave 2, 3, 4, maybe 5 really good teams and then like teams 6-60 are essentially the same. So if Pitt gets in it, they could make a Final Four.

Basketball, of course. We don't have a quarterback, and that's something Narduzzi has struggled with for some time (among other challenges).
Just Narduzzi or Pitt overall? I’d be interested in seeing a breakdown of ACC schools over the past 35 years, each schools QBs during that time, and how Pitt’s have compared. How many years of very good QB play have we seen since 1990? 6? I probably shouldn’t post this as it could hijack the thread but it is an interesting discussion.

More basketball than football right now. But that can change very quickly. 2 years ago, it would have been football.

As long as Narduzzi is the coach, I have little faith in any kind of breakaway season. If he goes 4-8, which is possible, I hope there is enough pressure on Lyke to get off her lazy ass and make a change. Looking at the records of all the athletic programs. Lyke is a joke.

Reactions: H2Ppanthers
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT