ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt Hoops Hype and Appreciation Dribbles Post ...

DT_PITT

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2001
** I remember many days when I used to post on Saturday nights following Football games as a way to pull me out of my football induced malaise. But tonight I'm inspired by a glorious comeback at Acrisure over the Hated Hoopies!

** I'll leave all football commentary to the Pigskin gurus, other than my solid belief now that this fellow Eli is the real deal.

** Still, tonight I look forward two months into the future because of a nice conversation I had at halftime in the West Club.

** During the break, I took a few moments to speak to our hanging Hoops friends, Mr. Leggett and Mr. Diaz.

** I'll confess that I had to ask which twins I was speaking to, to which he replied it was G.

** Nonetheless, they appeared there as minor celebrities, taking photos with a nice handful of fans.

** In my conversation, I offered how much I appreciated them and their contributions, and both were gracious in their acceptance.

** I'll also confess that I said something along the lines of suggesting to both I was looking forward to a great season and contributions of newcomers like Mr. Delacic. Without hesitation, Ish replied back to me: "he's really good!"

** As a hoops fans of a self appointed highest magnitude, I'll also offer I'm one to avoid over-hype. I always like to try to be realistic.

** Nonetheless, let's just say I'm pretty hyped about our prospects for the coming year.

** In fact, I can even say it hasn't been since 2015-2016 that I've gone into a season with my expectation being that we will be in the NCAA tournament.

** But those are my expectations. I'm hyped for sure.

** I'll give three reasons for my hype. The first is Jaland Lowe.

** Beginning in Mid-January, more or less, Jaland was an all ACC guard.

** Sometimes it's wiser to not rely on players necessarily getting better year over year. In Jaland's case, I think it's better wisdom. He's a talent who now should be 100%.

** He wasn't for the first half of last year, but he still took that time to learn from Bub and especially Blake. I have little doubt Jaland will be among the League's best 15 players next year. Maybe 10. Maybe even 5.

** Reason #2 is the aforementioned Mr. Delacic. From everything we've been hearing from the players, not just Ish from my flash conversation this night, this guy is the real deal.

** It just makes sense to me that this guy is a player. At worst, to me he's a double digit scorer. At best ... well I'll leave that to hype.

** Reason #3 is culture. Perhaps I'm reading way to much from a chance Club section meeting, but to my eye, one could feel the connection today between G and Ish. I saw very much the same thing watching our guys cheer on the Zoo Crew this summer. This is a team who certainly believe in something greater than themselves as individuals.

** So count me as one who believes next year's hoop team is ready take steps beyond last year's hoop team, Maybe more than a few steps. Maybe even a whole Sweet 16 steps.

** And we already know our football team has taken steps. We've already matched last year's win total. And with a talent like Eli and a group that that believes in each other, it's likely we'll double that. Maybe triple even.

** But like I said, I'll leave that to the Football Gurus. For now, I'll stick to my hoops hype.

** And I'm pretty hyped.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.