ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt interviewing Chris Bono for Wrestling HC

Im glad to hear Hunter won one. I didnt follow college wresting much back then, but he was so good in HS that I figured he was destined for multiple titles at the next level. I never said he was a slouch in college, just that he wasnt as successful as I thought he would be.

Reactions: upitt98
Im glad to hear Hunter won one. I didnt follow college wresting much back then, but he was so good in HS that I figured he was destined for multiple titles at the next level. I never said he was a slouch in college, just that he wasnt as successful as I thought he would be.
I thought he would win two or three in college.

The fact that Kolat didn't crush Bono (sarcasm intended) initiated a lot of rumors. One rumor was that Bono was heavier - and in fairness to Kolat, Bono certainly looked like it.

The other rumor was that Kolat had spent part of the day working-out at WVU (just a stone-throw from Jefferson-Morgan High School), and the extra workout took a toll on him.

I think the first rumor is accurate; the second one I can't comment on, since I don't know.

For me, Kolat was the best high school wrestler that I've ever seen, and growing-up in Western PA has enabled me to see some great ones. Ty Moore....John Chatman...Kevin Love...Ted Bouyoucas...Mark Angle...Ray Brinzer....the list might be endless. ;)
Thanks for mentioning Kevin Love. My Dad was principal at Carnegie in the late 60's when he wrestled. Carnegie was a great wrestling school in those days. Love was at 45 and there was another kid at 138 named Artie Johnson. One time Johnson was beating another wrestler in every sense of the word. He went animal on him "literally", bit the kid on the shoulder and got DQ'd. Next day my Dad asked him why he did that when he was obviously going to win. He just replied "instinct". Love had a great freshman year at Pitt, but I guess couldn't make grades. Years later I'm in college at Westminster fall of 76 and asked a couple guys from Carlynton about Love and was told he was burned real bad in a accident of some sort. Frank Holtz, the "Fighting Cop of Carnegie" of Studio Wrestling fame used to do security at the matches.

Reactions: Panther Parrothead
Thanks for mentioning Kevin Love. My Dad was principal at Carnegie in the late 60's when he wrestled. Carnegie was a great wrestling school in those days. Love was at 45 and there was another kid at 138 named Artie Johnson. One time Johnson was beating another wrestler in every sense of the word. He went animal on him "literally", bit the kid on the shoulder and got DQ'd. Next day my Dad asked him why he did that when he was obviously going to win. He just replied "instinct". Love had a great freshman year at Pitt, but I guess couldn't make grades. Years later I'm in college at Westminster fall of 76 and asked a couple guys from Carlynton about Love and was told he was burned real bad in a accident of some sort. Frank Holtz, the "Fighting Cop of Carnegie" of Studio Wrestling fame used to do security at the matches.
I mentioned this in another thread a long time ago, but I lived on the same dorm floor as Love and John Chatman, who were roommates in their freshman year. Both were really good guys, and I'd be untruthful if I said that they didn't like to party.

But living in the Towers Dorms in early 1970's was like one big party for a lot of us. ;)

M
Kevin was prop 48 as freshman and thus ineligible. Be flunked out his 2nd year.

M

I recall watching the Pitt v. Penn St. wrestling match on PBS whatever years Love got to wrestle. I think he was only Pitt wrestler who won that night.

Kevin love was a special wrestler. I believe he would have been a ncaa champ.

M

This is correct. Kevin wrestled intramurals instead, which is really funny when you think about it.

Some people forget that John ("Bimbo") Chatman also played on the football team as a sophomore, and he returned a few kickoffs.

Last edited:

I believe Kevin has been a janitor at Charters Valley after being in the Air Force after leaving Pitt. He seems to be doing well and is happy.

I believe Kevin has been a janitor at Charters Valley after being in the Air Force after leaving Pitt. He seems to be doing well and is happy.
Well I'm glad to hear that. Too bad he never, or maybe he did, get to do some coaching of young wrestlers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT