ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt is 0 for 2 in signing local highly rated players who verbally committed as sophomores

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Terrelle Pryor and Maverick Rowan. Lets hope that Hood-Schifino breaks the trend.

I think its vitally important to get him to reclassify up to 2021 and have him sign his LOI in November. Maybe even advise he finish HS at Penn Hills or whatever. Did the family move to Charlotte for work or something else? If it was purely a basketball move, I'd advise him to move back home. Maybe he can even go to a local HS who hires Uncle Drew as the HC. Drew was winning games at Steel Valley but then had a very bizarre end to his stint there.

Terrelle Pryor and Maverick Rowan. Lets hope that Hood-Schifino breaks the trend.

I think its vitally important to get him to reclassify up to 2021 and have him sign his LOI in November. Maybe even advise he finish HS at Penn Hills or whatever. Did the family move to Charlotte for work or something else? If it was purely a basketball move, I'd advise him to move back home. Maybe he can even go to a local HS who hires Uncle Drew as the HC. Drew was winning games at Steel Valley but then had a very bizarre end to his stint there.

If you read his mother's letter on why he's going there you will know why as long as JC is the coach her son will be at Pitt

Reactions: Bethlehemjohn
[QUOTE="King Of All Message Boards, post: 2942495, member: 3016" Even though you know more about college hoops than anyone...[/QUOTE]

Not everyone. Most people

D. Blair...

I don't understand these stupid posts. You're actually sitting there worried about what a kid who's a 2021/2022 recruit is going to do in 2/3 years. How far do you take it? Until he signs a letter of intent? Well, that doesn't really matter because a kid can just transfer. There are more transfers than ever in college basketball, so I guess you should worry about that. Does he have to play for four years before you can sleep well at night knowing he won't grad transfer?

Well, if you are going to be doom and gloom … you might as well say 0-3 since Pope also committed at the end of his sophomore year.

But I truly think this is a different situation.

I've heard very good things about Jalen. I've heard he's not cut from the same cloth as Drew.

The difference here is a couple things. Number one the relationship with Capel is a lot stronger than Rowan and Herron were. He wants to play for Capel the other two wanted to play for Pitt maybe. Second he loves pitt as well and was a dream of his. He is not going anywhere. Let’s hope he keeps growing and getting beat yet and ends up a top 15 recruit. Even better. Every time now he plays somewhere their going to say he is a pitt commit. All the other guys undecided will ask why u choose pitt. It’s now a possibility that someone else who wants to play with him maybe takes a look at pitt. Nothing negative about this. Now just tell Capel get one for 21 too.

Well, if you are going to be doom and gloom … you might as well say 0-3 since Pope also committed at the end of his sophomore year.

But I truly think this is a different situation.

I've heard very good things about Jalen. I've heard he's not cut from the same cloth as Drew.

I really dont remember Pope ever committing to Pitt but you are probably right. I agree these are much different situations. The other 3 guys were very low character-type kids without great family guidance. Hood-Schifino seems to be the exact opposite of those guys. Its just so strange to have 2 (or 3 with Pope) highly rated local sophomores commit and get none of them.

I really dont remember Pope ever committing to Pitt but you are probably right. I agree these are much different situations. The other 3 guys were very low character-type kids without great family guidance. Hood-Schifino seems to be the exact opposite of those guys. Its just so strange to have 2 (or 3 with Pope) highly rated local sophomores commit and get none of them.

You can't really include Pryor, can you? I mean, he committed to Pitt when he was a top 25 hoop recruit and then later became the #1 football recruit in the entire country. I think that's pretty forgivable!

As for Pope, he did commit but needed all the help he could get just to get through High School. I even know people who Dixon asked to mentor the kid and help him through. But there was too much to deal with in Aliquippa.

As for Rowan … his Dad's delusions of grandeur got in the way. Too bad for Maverick. Does anyone even know what happened to him?

You can't really include Pryor, can you? I mean, he committed to Pitt when he was a top 25 hoop recruit and then later became the #1 football recruit in the entire country. I think that's pretty forgivable!

As for Pope, he did commit but needed all the help he could get just to get through High School. I even know people who Dixon asked to mentor the kid and help him through. But there was too much to deal with in Aliquippa.

As for Rowan … his Dad's delusions of grandeur got in the way. Too bad for Maverick. Does anyone even know what happened to him?

I posted this before but I was told Rowan’s old man was similar to Marv Marinovich.

I think Maverick is playing in Canada.

I dont forgive Pryor. Ky Bowman gave up an Alabama football scholarship to play basketball at BC. He made the NBA after 3 years and might make a mint just being a role player since those salaries are outrageous. I know Pryor made money in the NFL but I still believe he would have made more money in the NBA had he gone to Pitt.

I dont forgive Pryor. Ky Bowman gave up an Alabama football scholarship to play basketball at BC. He made the NBA after 3 years and might make a mint just being a role player since those salaries are outrageous. I know Pryor made money in the NFL but I still believe he would have made more money in the NBA had he gone to Pitt.

He has a nice pension, from the NFL I don't think he really cares if you forgive him or not or what you think about if he should have played basketball or not. IMHO

Reactions: Goldbergfan

Was Ky Bowman the #1 ranked recruit in the country like Pryor?

Was Ky Bowman the #1 ranked recruit in the country like Pryor?

No but he musta been pretty good to be offered by Saban. He was a mid-major basketball recruit who BC took a chance on. Pryor would have been McDonald's All-American caliber.

No but he musta been pretty good to be offered by Saban. He was a mid-major basketball recruit who BC took a chance on. Pryor would have been McDonald's All-American caliber.

Allow me to repeat … I'll try to go more slowly and be more clear …

T E R R E L L
P R Y O R
W A S
T H E
# 1
H I G H
S C H O O L
F O O T B A L L
R E C R U I T
I N
T H E
E N T I R E
C O U N T R Y !!!

As such, you might be the only person who wouldn't forgive him for forgoing a basketball scholarship to play football.

The only one.

The circumstances in all three cases are completely different. What went down with Pryor (football) and Rowan (idiot father) are inapposite here.

Yeah. I don’t think any of this is informative as it comes to JHS.

Allow me to repeat … I'll try to go more slowly and be more clear …

T E R R E L L
P R Y O R
W A S
T H E
# 1
H I G H
S C H O O L
F O O T B A L L
R E C R U I T
I N
T H E
E N T I R E
C O U N T R Y !!!

As such, you might be the only person who wouldn't forgive him for forgoing a basketball scholarship to play football.

The only one.

And on tO$U payroll. And they got his mom a job.

Pitt had zero chance in keeping his commitment for basketball.

In regards to Rowan , had he gone to Pitt would his career have been any different ? Was Jamie going to make him into an NBA player ? Did his choosing NCS ruin the kids future ? Did the kid ever express regret over his college choice ?

The dad made a family business decision which resulted in a better job for him and a nice payday for him and his family , that doesn’t make him anything other than a good businessman . It’s not like he forced his kid to go a horrible place that ruined his future . College bb and Fb financially benefit all the adults directly involved , I’ve got no problems when the family can actually benefit unless your breaking the kids heart .

Anthony Moreilli (sp? ) out of Penn Hills was another highly ranked local early commit for Pitt that went elsewhere ( PSU ) , but in Fb whose dad interfered . In this case I think the kid would’ve been much better coached up by Walt . I thought his real mistake though was not going to ND , being the Qb at ND gives you an opportunity for the lifetime connections a school like ND offers .

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
Just to be a jerk, remember those who mocked those such as myself who suggested that Cam Johnson could easily end up being the equal of Maverick? ** cough @recruitsreadtheseboards cough **

OMG, Cam Johnson is light years better than Rowan in every way! I wish we could have kept Cam here for at least another year, but he made a good decision that helped him. That is a good thing and I hope he does very well wherever he ends up and whatever he is doing.

About 12 years ago, my girlfriend dumped me

Several years later, a girl I dated said she was no longer interested.

I guess that means my current GF is going to walk because well......it happened twice before.

well, he has also played QB and was FB team mvp....
I’d get worried if you hear Mack Brown’s talking to him lol

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT