ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt is now in 4th Place in the ACC

Vader_Storm

Sophomore
Dec 16, 2018
And NC State just picked up a huge win tonight beating Clemson on the road. Which really helps Pitt out here.

It would be really, really nice if this Pitt team only loses 1 more game the rest of the regular season. If Pitt can run the table, there is a chance to sneak up in the standings even higher as the teams above us have far more challenging schedules to finish things out.

We aren't catching UNC or Duke but we could theoretically sneak into 3rd since UVA has a much harder schedule and we have the tiebreaker.

The game on Tuesday is huge. Win that and we're in pretty good shape for the double bye, which is wild to even think about given where we were a month ago.

Reactions: USN_Panther
We aren't catching UNC or Duke but we could theoretically sneak into 3rd since UVA has a much harder schedule and we have the tiebreaker.

The game on Tuesday is huge. Win that and we're in pretty good shape for the double bye, which is wild to even think about given where we were a month ago.

UNC, no.

Duke has at Wake Forest, at NC State, at Miami, UNC, Virginia. 3 more losses is probably pushing it, but that's a tough way to end the year. I could for sure see them losing at least 2 of those. If they trip up in the next 2 games, we absolutely could catch them and tie them.

Easy now... Let's focus on finding a way to get 4 wins. Still think 21 wins is incredibly important. I know I am for one thinking they are going to run into a buzzsaw on Tuesday against an ultra-desperate Wake Forest team on the road.... A loss wouldn't be a killer - but puts way more pressure on VT / Clemson games.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
Double bye if the season ended today. That's important because beating the 12 seed as a 5 doesn't help you and a loss could knock you out. As a 4, you dont have to risk that.

Perhaps more importantly, NC State moved up to 76. 1 spot away from Q1. NC St is a difficult team to pull for. They probably win their next 3 to get to 11-6, 68 in NET but then finish with 3 tough games. So we want them to win so we can get a Q1 but then if they win a lot, they could get the double bye or even an NCAA bid over us if they beat us.

Double bye if the season ended today. That's important because beating the 12 seed as a 5 doesn't help you and a loss could knock you out. As a 4, you dont have to risk that.

Perhaps more importantly, NC State moved up to 76. 1 spot away from Q1. NC St is a difficult team to pull for. They probably win their next 3 to get to 11-6, 68 in NET but then finish with 3 tough games. So we want them to win so we can get a Q1 but then if they win a lot, they could get the double bye or even an NCAA bid over us if they beat us.
Agreed NC state is a double edged sword , but at the end of the day the double bye is a long shot. The team would truly have to go 5-1 in their last 6 and I think that’s probably a long shot even with as well as they’re playing.

Bottom line is I think finishing 6th or 7th is realistic and probably the best case anyway to play and try and improve resume on Wednesday at ACCT. the more games they play their the better anyway

Personally, I think getting the extra Q1 win is important regardless of what NC State does. We have a chance to sweep them. So let them keep on winning.

Agreed NC state is a double edged sword , but at the end of the day the double bye is a long shot. The team would truly have to go 5-1 in their last 6 and I think that’s probably a long shot even with as well as they’re playing.

Bottom line is I think finishing 6th or 7th is realistic and probably the best case anyway to play and try and improve resume on Wednesday at ACCT. the more games they play their the better anyway

I wouldn't say its a long shot. Lets say we go 4-2 and lose to Clem and Wake. That's 12-8. Lets say NC State goes 3-3 losing @ UNC, @ Pitt, vs Duke. Wake could go 3-3 (Duke, Clem, @ VT). Clemson has the most favorable schedule as they'll be favored in all but their finale @ Wake. But they could lose 2.

So yea, 12-8 probably doesn't get us a double bye, but it wouldn't require too many upsets in other games to do it. 5-1 and its almost a certainty.

If Pitt gets the double-bye.... it means they've already gotten enough wins to get into the tournament and don't need a 1st round win in the ACCT.

If Pitt goes 5-1 in the next 6.... They're in, and most assuredly not playing until Thursday in DC.

Virginia is currently losing to Virginia Tech by 20 points at halftime.

The window for Pitt to move up more in the ACC standings is opening. Must win game tomorrow for Pitt. Win tomorrow, and we start to separate from the middle of the pack.

Virginia is currently losing to Virginia Tech by 20 points at halftime.

The window for Pitt to move up more in the ACC standings is opening. Must win game tomorrow for Pitt. Win tomorrow, and we start to separate from the middle of the pack.
Agreed - but many I have an eerie feeling about how that game is going to go tomorrow… wake us up to -7 now (Vegas is generally right)

Would love a Virginia come back here. VT has a decent resume with wins over Boise St, Iowa State, Clemson, losses to SC, Auburn, etc. if they win tonight and pick up a Q2, it would be extra motivation for them to come into Pitt with a chance for a 5th Q1. They are not far off from making a late season run. Same with NCST.

Would love a Virginia come back here. VT has a decent resume with wins over Boise St, Iowa State, Clemson, losses to SC, Auburn, etc. if they win tonight and pick up a Q2, it would be extra motivation for them to come into Pitt with a chance for a 5th Q1. They are not far off from making a late season run. Same with NCST.

They have 4 Q1 wins and if they beat us Saturday, that gives them 5 and has to put them ahead of us and pretty close to being in at the moment. Massive week for Pitt.

2-0 = probably going to make it

1-1 = we sweat

0-2 = start preparing for NIT

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT