ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt makes Allen Greene hire official

JimHammett

All P I T T !
Staff
Dec 4, 2012
PITTSBURGH — Highly accomplished and nationally respected college athletics administrator Allen Greene has been appointed director of athletics at the University of Pittsburgh, Chancellor Joan Gabel announced today. He will begin his role at Pitt on Nov. 1, dividing his time between Pittsburgh and Knoxville as he fulfills any outstanding responsibilities at the University of Tennessee.

“Pitt Athletics is the front porch of the University of Pittsburgh, serving as a crucial access point for so many across our campus, our region, our nation and the world,” said Chancellor Joan Gabel. “In Allen Greene, we have a proven national leader who exemplifies the Pitt way, and who has all of the experience and intangibles to elevate our athletics program in competition and in the classroom. In my conversations with Allen and with many others who know him well, it is clear that he will lead us successfully into the new world of intercollegiate athletics.”

“Chancellor Gabel and the advisory committee deserve great credit for identifying and appointing such an experienced and visionary leader like Allen Greene for our athletics department,” said Board of Trustees Chairperson John Verbanac.

“I am tremendously grateful and honored to receive the opportunity from Chancellor Gabel to join the University of Pittsburgh, an institution and athletic tradition I’ve long admired,” said Greene. “It was apparent from my very first conversation with Chancellor Gabel that Pitt has the highest of aspirations in every endeavor it undertakes. That’s tremendously energizing to me and a challenge I fully embrace. I am inspired by the storied history of Pitt Athletics and am fully dedicated to helping our Panthers reach even greater heights in the future. I am looking forward to meeting and working on behalf of Pitt’s student-athletes, coaches, staff and campus leaders. The Greene family is incredibly thankful and excited to proudly wear Pitt’s blue and gold.”

“On behalf of Pitt Athletics, I would like to welcome Allen Greene and his family to the University of Pittsburgh,” said Jeff Capel, head coach of Pitt men’s basketball, who served on the advisory committee. “I also want to thank and congratulate Chancellor Gabel on an excellent search process. Allen brings to Pitt an outstanding reputation as an innovative leader who is personally invested in the student-athletes and staff under his watch. His impressive administrative experience will be a tremendous asset not only for our athletics department but also the entire University. We greatly look forward to his arrival on campus.”

Greene has been a lead figure in the management of name, image and likeness (NIL) programs at three separate Southeastern Conference (SEC) institutions, including most recently at the University of Tennessee, where he has served as senior deputy athletics director since December 2023. He has played an integral role in the athletics department’s over 30% increase in annual revenue. Prior to his tenure with the Volunteers, he served a year at the University of Mississippi as senior deputy athletics director for external relations and business development.

From 2018 and 2022, Greene served as director of athletics at Auburn University, where his record of success included eight SEC championships and 47 programs achieving Top 25 finishes in national rankings.

In 2021-22 alone, six Auburn athletic programs finished in the nation’s Top 10. During his tenure, the Auburn men’s basketball team earned the first No. 1 national ranking in program history and advanced to its first Final Four; the baseball team returned to the College World Series for the first time in 22 years; the equestrian team won two national championships; and student-athlete grade-point averages rose to a combined 3.25. Auburn Athletics also welcomed its four largest individual donations ever, and the Woltosz Football Performance Center—a $92 million football facility that stands as the largest athletics project in Auburn history—was constructed.

Prior to Auburn, Greene served the University at Buffalo as director of athletics from 2015 to 2018. His tenure was distinguished by historic success athletically and academically. In the competitive arena, four Buffalo teams advanced to their respective NCAA championships in a two-year span. The men’s and women’s basketball teams both won Mid-American Conference (MAC) championships in 2016—the first time that dual feat was achieved in the MAC since 2002—and earned automatic NCAA Tournament berths. The 2017-18 men’s basketball team went 27-9 and won its first-ever NCAA Tournament game by upsetting Pac-12 champion Arizona, 89-68.

Under Greene’s watch, Buffalo student-athletes earned grade-point averages of 3.0 or better for 11 consecutive semesters, with the football team earning its highest team GPA in program history.

Greene was instrumental in significantly enhancing donor and corporate support for Buffalo Athletics. He also negotiated the department’s first multimedia rights agreement.

Greene was a three-year starter for the Irish baseball team at the University of Notre Dame, where he earned a bachelor’s degree in finance in 2000. He was a ninth-round selection in the 1998 Major League Baseball draft by the New York Yankees and played three years in the organization’s minor league system. He later earned a Master of Business Administration at Indiana University’s South Bend campus.

He is highly regarded by his peers, having served on the executive committee of the National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics (NACDA) and LEAD1 as 1st vice-chair.

He and his wife, Christy, have three children: daughters Rian and Seneca and son Samuel.

NATIONAL PRAISE FOR ALLEN GREENE

“Congratulations to the University of Pittsburgh and Chancellor Gabel on a home run hire! Allen is one of the most innovative, genuine and competitive leaders we have in college athletics. We are sad to lose Allen and his family on Rocky Top, but look forward to seeing their transformative impact at Pitt!”

—Danny White, Vice Chancellor/Director of Athletics, University of Tennessee, Knoxville

“Allen has added so much to our campus while in his leadership role in our Athletics Department, and I look forward to seeing the exceptional leadership he will provide the University of Pittsburgh. We are all aware of the uncertain state of college athletics right now, and I know Allen will also be a leader in that national conversation.”

—Donde Plowman, Chancellor, University of Tennessee, Knoxville

“Allen Greene is an outstanding leader; man of great character; and one of the most caring, genuine people that I’ve worked with in college athletics. He is an excellent listener and will create alignment with coaches, staff, alumni and donors on the direction of the athletics department. Allen is an outstanding hire and will prove to be a great leader for the University of Pittsburgh.”

—Lance Leipold, Head Football Coach, University of Kansas

“We look forward to welcoming Allen Greene to the ACC and having him join our outstanding group of athletic directors. As a former student-athlete at one of our league institutions, Allen will be a tremendous advocate for Pitt and the ACC. To be certain, I applaud Chancellor Joan Gabel’s leadership, and Allen’s experience and skill set will be a tremendous addition to our conference. Collectively, they will continue the strong momentum surrounding the University of Pittsburgh.”

—Jim Phillips, Atlantic Coast Conference Commissioner

“Hail to Pitt—Allen Greene is a fantastic hire for the University of Pittsburgh. He is a leader with the utmost integrity. He is a champion for student-athletes. He is a role model to many, and he has a wealth of experience in intercollegiate athletics that will benefit the entire Pitt community. H2P.”

—Bubba Cunningham, Director of Athletics, University of North Carolina

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.