ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt MSOC earns #2 overall seed

JD1976

Athletic Director
Jan 23, 2005
Will play the winner of the Bowling Green/Monmouth play-in game.

Will play the winner of the Bowling Green/Monmouth play-in game.
I would have liked to see them get an easier game than the MAC Champ in their first game. The MAC, with WVU and Akron, is a pretty good league. I wouldn't even call them a "mid-major." Pitt should win but its possible we could lose to the best team in the MAC. We would have no chance of losing to some of those other teams.

The rest of the bracket shapes up absolutely beautifully though. Clemson, Georgetown, Wake, and Stanford are all on the other side.

I would have liked to see them get an easier game than the MAC Champ in their first game. The MAC, with WVU and Akron, is a pretty good league. I wouldn't even call them a "mid-major." Pitt should win but its possible we could lose to the best team in the MAC. We would have no chance of losing to some of those other teams.

The rest of the bracket shapes up absolutely beautifully though. Clemson, Georgetown, Wake, and Stanford are all on the other side.
WVU is MAC? Not B12?

The Big 12 does not sponsor men’s soccer so, yes, WVU is in the MAC.
That's interesting. It might be like a Yinzer thing! Like some big western PA high schools don't have soccer, I think it's like the attitude that it's anti American or something :)

That's interesting. It might be like a Yinzer thing! Like some big western PA high schools don't have soccer, I think it's like the attitude that it's anti American or something :)
Not enough Big 12 schools sponsor teams to have it be a conference sport, like women’s gymnastics in the ACC. Men’s soccer has been a pretty common Title IX casualty over the years.

The Big 12 does not sponsor men’s soccer so, yes, WVU is in the MAC.

Happens in other sports too. The SEC doesn’t sponsor wrestling, so Missouri is in the MAC (I think) for that. The B12 wouldn’t let them back in for wrestling only. But, with Missouri, Nebraska and Colorado leaving, the B12 didn’t have enough teams for wrestling because none of the Texas schools or Kansas schools have it. So they added South Dakota State, Northern Iowa and a couple more for wrestling only.

Wait, according to someone here we were going to get a bye right into the Sweet 16. Now you are saying that really isn't the case. Hmmmm.

I wonder who that guy was who said something that silly?

Happens in other sports too. The SEC doesn’t sponsor wrestling, so Missouri is in the MAC (I think) for that. The B12 wouldn’t let them back in for wrestling only. But, with Missouri, Nebraska and Colorado leaving, the B12 didn’t have enough teams for wrestling because none of the Texas schools or Kansas schools have it. So they added South Dakota State, Northern Iowa and a couple more for wrestling only.
SMU is the only men's soccer program in Texas. Title IX casualties. Texas is really a great soccer state so its ashame there's only 1 college team. Heck, WV has 2!

SEC doesn't sponsor men's soccer either. Kentucky and South Carolina play in CUSA.

I not debating you but what large WPA HS doesn’t have soccer. This is a question not a challenge to your statement.

My guess is ALL WPIAL HS's from medium size and up have soccer.

Not that I've really dug around on this, but PIAA's website has to be one of the better ones across the different states for information.

Here's boys soccer: http://www.piaa.org/schools/classifications/classlist.aspx?sportID=23

Across the WPIAL, hoops is tops at 133, then baseball (125) and football (121). Soccer slots around the same as track and XC, with a handful of AAA schools like Apollo-Ridge and Beaver Falls not fielding a team.

I not debating you but what large WPA HS doesn’t have soccer. This is a question not a challenge to your statement.
I know New Castle doesn't, not sure if that's a large school anymore?

It’s soccer so it’s a funny game and anything can happen...but the MAC was down this year. Bowling Green struggled vs Akron...drawing with Akron and lost to Akron...but this was a young Akron team in a serious rebuild this year with Covid issues all season. I hope, yet expect the chalk to hold until the IU game. That one worries me a bit.

It’s soccer so it’s a funny game and anything can happen...but the MAC was down this year. Bowling Green struggled vs Akron...drawing with Akron and lost to Akron...but this was a young Akron team in a serious rebuild this year with Covid issues all season. I hope, yet expect the chalk to hold until the IU game. That one worries me a bit.
Indiana is a very good team with speed and size and probably the best goalkeeper in the nation, Roman Celetano.

I don’t follow this at all but I can say with certainty, while not large New Castle does not have soccer, and my guess will not in the foreseeable future. Not that that is good, just reality.

I don’t follow this at all but I can say with certainty, while not large New Castle does not have soccer, and my guess will not in the foreseeable future. Not that that is good, just reality.
That may be the only one. And arent they 5A for basketball, so that's pretty big. Surprised they dont have one but if there were a large school to not have soccer, it would have to be a school district like NC, which is only 63% white. Minorities, at least locally, play soccer in much smaller numbers

That may be the only one. And arent they 5A for basketball, so that's pretty big. Surprised they dont have one but if there were a large school to not have soccer, it would have to be a school district like NC, which is only 63% white. Minorities, at least locally, play soccer in much smaller numbers
I think they play up in sports. They graduate just short of 300 I think. There is no youth rec programs. I coached lacrosse for a number of years at NC YMCA. We approached all local schools to get access to kids. The football teams were not the big problem. The track and field guys would keep us from getting access. Laurel, Union and NC are Lawrence County schools with no soccer. New Wilmington, Neshannock and Mohawk have soccer

I would have MUCH rather drawn #3 seed IU's Round of 32 game (Milwaukee/SF Brooklyn winner). I would compare MAC soccer to the American in basketball. A couple very good programs at the top (Akron/WVU), a couple decent programs, and some really bad ones which drags down RPIs. Akron is a national power who is down but even when down, I am sure they were ACC-level good. So BGSU maybe took advantage of a down Akron but absolutely shouldn't be the equivalent of the #31 overall seed.

Now Denver is out due to Covid. #87 (RPI) Omaha replacing them.

Here's the RPIs for the 8 "First Four" teams. RPIs are out of whack this year but still. FWIW, Pitt is 16

1. American (did I mention they were out of whack?)
11. Monmouth
20. BGSU
29. Milwaukee
50. SF Brooklyn
63. UNCG
71. Coastal Carolina
87. Omaha
93. Jacksonville

BGSU would easily be the best of this group meaning they should have been lined up with the #4 overall seed, Stanford, but really, they shouldn't be in a First Four game. They are arguably better than our potential Sweet 16 matchup (UCF/JMU)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT