ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt needs a coach…

thebadby2

Athletic Director
Sep 21, 2003
it comes down to that. This program will never have the talent level necessary to compete with and beat good teams in the league and country playing this way. Pitt needs a coach that will instill an identity and a culture of physicality, defense, rebounding, and structured offense. Like Howland did, like Dixon did until the move to the ACC, like Tony Bennett, etc. Get a bunch of guys who aren’t heralded enough to think the NBA is their birthright, and make em tough. Play slower, uglier.

Not saying this is easy, not even sure if it’s still feasible with the college game being what it had become, but IMO it’s the only way for Pitt basketball to regain any meaningful level of relevancy.

it comes down to that. This program will never have the talent level necessary to compete with and beat good teams in the league and country playing this way. Pitt needs a coach that will instill an identity and a culture of physicality, defense, rebounding, and structured offense. Like Howland did, like Dixon did until the move to the ACC, like Tony Bennett, etc. Get a bunch of guys who aren’t heralded enough to think the NBA is their birthright, and make em tough. Play slower, uglier.

Not saying this is easy, not even sure if it’s still feasible with the college game being what it had become, but IMO it’s the only way for Pitt basketball to regain any meaningful level of relevancy.
Slower and uglier was what Capel tried with Odukale and that bunch, got lucky and found a diamond in the rough with Champagne and still couldn’t win. I think we saw last year that this current style can work as long as you have players that can score and defend (Burton, Elliott, etc). You just can’t win even in a mediocre ACC with freshman ball handlers and no interior scorers or defenders.

Slower and uglier was what Capel tried with Odukale and that bunch, got lucky and found a diamond in the rough with Champagne and still couldn’t win. I think we saw last year that this current style can work as long as you have players that can score and defend (Burton, Elliott, etc). You just can’t win even in a mediocre ACC with freshman ball handlers and no interior scorers or defenders.
With Cummings next year a healthy Kante , it should be better -if bub and Lowe are here as well
But we’ll need a portal shooter for sure
the twins are good rotational players , but can’t be counted on for rebounding and defense

Disagree with a lot of this, but I'll focus on this one aspect--Capel in his time at Pitt has never run a structured half court offensive game, and none of his teams have defended or rebounded well as a team. He has run a 4-5 out, one on one type offense from Day 1 with the players having far too much individual freedom. Defensively and on the glass his teams have all been soft and undersized. Champagnie was a talented individual player and rebounder, but he didn't get his numbers due to style of play.

Reactions: jctrack
They could probably cut bait this year if Heather was ready to move on. He'll have 3 years left on his contract and the buyout should be more manageable. Totally guessing, but maybe it costs them ~$10m?

Disagree with a lot of this, but I'll focus on this one aspect--Capel in his time at Pitt has never run a structured half court offensive game, and none of his teams have defended or rebounded well as a team. He has run a 4-5 out, one on one type offense from Day 1 with the players having far too much individual freedom. Defensively and on the glass his teams have all been soft and undersized. Champagnie was a talented individual player and rebounder, but he didn't get his numbers due to style of play.

This is the crux of the problem with Pitt and coaching. Capel doesn't coach for rebounding and defense like we used to when we were winning. It's just ball handlers playing one-on-one and mostly getting beat. There are very few offensive sets, no ball movement, and no communication on the court. This is Capel ball. As a poster said, get used to it. Capel is here for a while, unfortunately.

Reactions: BPKY
Pitt needs enough NIL money to keep the team intact and add a couple of impact portal guys ( a big and a shooter ) more than a new coach .

There's only 2 guys they need to spend on. Carrington and Lowe. Everyone else is replaceable. And even those 2 are replaceable. BballinsiderfromPitt from Pitt said something like it takes $1 million in player salaries for a bball team. If we cant pay cant have a payroll of $1 million, we should go to the A10. That is chump change

There's only 2 guys they need to spend on. Carrington and Lowe. Everyone else is replaceable. And even those 2 are replaceable. BballinsiderfromPitt from Pitt said something like it takes $1 million in player salaries for a bball team. If we cant pay cant have a payroll of $1 million, we should go to the A10. That is chump change
I would agree. This shouldn’t be hard to retain Bub and Lowe. People like Vader and others say Cummings is the real deal and more talented than his brother so I’m sure there is some cash for him. Other than those 3 (unless there is some shimmer of hope for Maleek Thomas) the rest of the roster aren’t guys worth going above and beyond the norm to keep happy.

I would agree. This shouldn’t be hard to retain Bub and Lowe. People like Vader and others say Cummings is the real deal and more talented than his brother so I’m sure there is some cash for him. Other than those 3 (unless there is some shimmer of hope for Maleek Thomas) the rest of the roster aren’t guys worth going above and beyond the norm to keep happy.

Well, yea, Cummings is obviously better than his brother at that age but I cant definitely say that 18 year old Brandin is better at college basketball than 24 year old Nelly. They also are completely different players and have completely different bodies. Brandin is a 6'2 or 6'3 high flying athletic "shooting guard" who often does highlight reel dunks. Nelly was a 6'0 below the rim "YMCA" player and I dont mean that in disrespect. He had a bit of that old man's game which is really useful.

Is Brandin going to come in and average 17? No. But I do think he can be a 10-12 PPG guy. That said, as a freshman, he isnt going to be better than some guy in the portal who averaged 18 at Towson

Everyone is replaceable !

Losing either Bub or Lowe wouldn’t be good . Coaches kids aren’t quitters and the only way I see them going elsewhere is a coaching change .

Adding Cummings to the guard group will be a big plus and combined with Papa next yrs roster is off to a good start . Replacing Hinson will be difficult , but it make more NIL money available.

Normal attrition will open up enough spots if they get enough bucks to fill them wisely.

Everyone is replaceable !

Losing either Bub or Lowe wouldn’t be good . Coaches kids aren’t quitters and the only way I see them going elsewhere is a coaching change .

Adding Cummings to the guard group will be a big plus and combined with Papa next yrs roster is off to a good start . Replacing Hinson will be difficult , but it make more NIL money available.

Normal attrition will open up enough spots if they get enough bucks to fill them wisely.
What I would really like to see us get is an athletic 4. Whether through the portal or a freshman recruit, I don't care. I watch some of these other games and I see them with guys who look like they play on pogo sticks. They are quick but maybe not great outside shooters. They play strong and with no fear. We need that badly. If we could add that and Papa at the 5, we go from possibly the weakest inside P5 team, to a formidable inside team that quickly. If we keep our guards and maybe add a great shooter, or an older guy who can drive, next year could be very different. With Capel, it's a crapshoot. You never know what will be here and eligible from year to year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT