ADVERTISEMENT

LOL - Pat Kelsey to Louisville

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
This AD gotta go. Stanford and WVU made better hires. I dont think Pat Kelsey is a bad coach but if Pitt had an opening tomorrow and I had to choose between Kelsey and Chris Mack, I'd choose Chris Mack. I think Kelsey is a decent coach. Scale of 1 to 10, I give him a 6. But its friggin Louisville. Close to a blue blood with deep pockets.

I'd expect Louisville to be good again soon but mainly because any warm body who doesn't completely suck will have Louisville in NCAAT range. However, I dont see Kelsey elevating the program to where it should be and I think Louisville should be at the current level of like Ten, Auburn, Alabama. That's not a lot to ask if you are Louisville.

This AD gotta go. Stanford and WVU made better hires. I dont think Pat Kelsey is a bad coach but if Pitt had an opening tomorrow and I had to choose between Kelsey and Chris Mack, I'd choose Chris Mack. I think Kelsey is a decent coach. Scale of 1 to 10, I give him a 6. But its friggin Louisville. Close to a blue blood with deep pockets.

I'd expect Louisville to be good again soon but mainly because any warm body who doesn't completely suck will have Louisville in NCAAT range. However, I dont see Kelsey elevating the program to where it should be and I think Louisville should be at the current level of like Ten, Auburn, Alabama. That's not a lot to ask if you are Louisville.
I'd take Kelsey by a wide margin. He's in the mold of glorious weirdos that can really coach. He's won 68 percent of his games at Winthrop and Charleston. Why don't you like him? He's a much better hire than lil Pitino, but not on the level of the early names.

I'd take Kelsey by a wide margin. He's in the mold of glorious weirdos that can really coach. He's won 68 percent of his games at Winthrop and Charleston. Why don't you like him? He's a much better hire than lil Pitino, but not on the level of the early names.

I dont think he's bad. Read what I wrote. He's a good hire for a GT, VT, NC State, Pitt, etc. Louisville should get a Drew, Oats, Pearl, Cronin, Jay Wright, etc.

You'd take Kelsey over Devries?

Hoping Will Wade goes to SMU now

I dont think he's bad. Read what I wrote. He's a good hire for a GT, VT, NC State, Pitt, etc. Louisville should get a Drew, Oats, Pearl, Cronin, Jay Wright, etc.

You'd take Kelsey over Devries?

Hoping Will Wade goes to SMU now
He has a better track record at two programs than Devries. He could get them anywhere from 1-8 in the league. They will be in NCAA's before long. High floor, reasonably high ceiling guy.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
He has a better track record at two programs than Devries. He could get them anywhere from 1-8 in the league. They will be in NCAA's before long. High floor, reasonably high ceiling guy.

I'd prefer Devries because he guarantees NCAAT in Year 1. I see Kelsey/Lou as a 4-6 type program. Sometimes higher. NCAAT more often than not but they should be competiting for NC's

I'd prefer Devries because he guarantees NCAAT in Year 1. I see Kelsey/Lou as a 4-6 type program. Sometimes higher. NCAAT more often than not but they should be competiting for NC's
Kelsey at Charleston
17-15
31-4
27-8
Earl Grant the prior 3 years
9-10
17-14
24-9

He is definitely not LOL worthy. He is a very good coach. Relentless recruiter from everything people are saying. He's Musselman without the problems.

Kelsey at Charleston
17-15
31-4
27-8
9-10
17-14
24-9

He is definitely not LOL worthy. He is a very good coach. Relentless recruiter from everything people are saying. He's Musselman without the problems.

Its LOL worthy because they should have made an SEC-type hire and didnt. Needed to go big to overcorrect the Payne mistake. Its Louisville so the money and prestige will bring players and wins but as a Pitt fan, I dont fear a Kelsey-lead Louisville program like a Pitino one or an Oats, Pearl, Cronin, etc.

And while I think Kelsey is a decent coach, he did have the best jobs in the 2 conferences he was in. I generally don't like that.

Just bookmark this thread. Kelsey is a stud.

Kelsey at Charleston
17-15
31-4
27-8
9-10
17-14
24-9

And look at what happened at winthrop as soon as he left and skip’s boy took over. Kelsey is a winner.

Kelsey at Charleston
17-15
31-4
27-8
9-10
17-14
24-9

I posted this on the pay board…he had a high school all American at winthrop. He recruited DJ Burns (I think? If my timeline is right) there too. That program was humming.

I posted this on the pay board…he had a high school all American at winthrop. He recruited DJ Burns (I think? If my timeline is right) there too. That program was humming.

He's good. Not great. Always had the best job in the conference like BballinsiderfromPitt's buddy Sean Miller.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
He's good. Not great. Always had the best job in the conference like BballinsiderfromPitt's buddy Sean Miller.
That is fair. But if anyone at winthrop can win, a “pedigreed” coach like Skip Prosser’s boy should have Winthrop winning that league. Instead they haven’t done anything or been near an NCAA since Kelsey left. I remember Pat being mentioned for ACC jobs years ago and maybe they were better fits than Louisville. Time will tell. But maybe louisville still has lots of salaries and bills they are on the hook for?

The internet reaction by Louisville fans for this hire hasnt been good. Not quite Stallings-level criticisms but not that far off. Its not completely fair because he is a good coach but not the big name or sure thing that Louisville should be getting. If Louisville didn't have an opening but Wake or VT or someone like that did, he'd probably go there. And Louisville should do better than that. You could argue that this is the 3rd best hire in the ACC of the offseason behind Stanford and SMU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT