ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt now top 10 recruiting class

Lineman was great pickup and secured Pitt a top 10 ACC class. With 17 commits, Pitt is high nationally, but if you break down average player they are 9th/14th in ACC…Duzz has had great results in recent years. I love him as a coach, but really want to see what he can do if he upped the quality of recruits. I wonder if the .86 guys see the quality visiting and feel an urge to commit, but then we miss out spots on even better guys.

Clemson: 91.60
FSU: 90.45
Lville: 88.59
Duke: 87.69
Nc State: 87.39
VT: 87.09
Miami: 87.08
UNC: 86.92
Pitt: 86.48 up from 86.2ish before this weekend!
Wake: 86.37
Cuse: 86.19
GT: 86.17
Virginia: 85.85
BC: 85.69

Plus, not to post other website stories, but this article sounds about perfect from what we all best saying. Our campus, coaches, success, academics, history, training everything aligns so well

Plus, not to post other website stories, but this article sounds about perfect from what we all best saying. Our campus, coaches, success, academics, history, training everything aligns so well

Penny Semaia is a huge asset to the program. I’m glad he’s a Pitt guy, because I expect there would be a lot of programs that would love to have him.

Lineman was great pickup and secured Pitt a top 10 ACC class. With 17 commits, Pitt is high nationally, but if you break down average player they are 9th/14th in ACC…Duzz has had great results in recent years. I love him as a coach, but really want to see what he can do if he upped the quality of recruits. I wonder if the .86 guys see the quality visiting and feel an urge to commit, but then we miss out spots on even better guys.

There are two classes that are a meaningful deviation from the others, and I'll also add that Ville is working on a good class.

But I'll ask the same question I did in the other thread. Who are you trading classes with on that list? That's the relevant comparison, not how many tenths of a rating point another team is in front of you. Are you trading classes with Duke, NC St, and VT? Hell no you aren't, so why do you care about their rating being fractions higher?

Great point that no one has considered, other than the other 5 posts that you have made talking about the same exact point.

This is meaningless. easy to have an 87 average when you have 5 recruits.

People like this guy are always looking for a negative.
Is it negative to point out that the top 10 rating is a function of the sheer number of commitments? When I looked Saturday Pitt was 9th on Rivals. Alabama was 17th. Call me a pessimist/negative Nancy but I’m gonna go ahead and speculate that won’t hold.

Sounds like Pitt had a good weekend. And as a fan I’m happy about it. But the pure homerism and bs spin gets as tiresome as those who constantly crap on everything.

The best comparison metric while still far from is average stars. And that won’t be close to meaningful until other schools fill up.

The best method is hindsight. And as has been stated in that regard Duzz has done good.

Last edited:
Yeah, this staff seems to have a system in place. On D, they are a 3-star>All-Conference>NFL factory at DB and DL and if a couple guys meet expectations this season, add LB to the list.

Offense is still a major disappointment though. OL seems to be showing promise though.

I remember when Jamie Dixon was doing similar things on the BB side. Then the program got better and he started bringing in flashier recruits and the program tanked.

Duz and his staff are doing very well. Their style of recruiting could actually be very smart in today's CFB. Just look at Wayne's production last year vs a mercenary like ole whats-his-name that went to USC.

Is it negative to point out that the top 10 rating is a function of the sheer number of commitments? When I looked Saturday Pitt was 9th on Rivals. Alabama was 17th. Call me a pessimist/negative Nancy but I’m gonna go ahead and speculate that won’t hold.

Sounds like Pitt had a good weekend. And as a fan I’m happy about it. But the pure homerism and bs spin gets as tiresome as those who constantly crap on everything.

The best comparison metric while still far from is average stars. And that won’t be close to meaningful until other schools fill up.

The best method is hindsight. And as has been stated in that regard Duzz has done good.
Part of the problem is Pitt fans are supposed to be homers. Fans is an abbreviation for fanatics. There are plenty of people (Psu and Wvu) out there that don’t like Pitt and would be happy to tear Pitt down. This site and others have a bias towards larger fanbases. A slight bump with a recruit from say 5.7 to 5.8 all of a sudden makes the player a 4-star. Minchey was bumped from a 3-star to a 4-star shortly after he switched his commitment from Pitt to ND. There’s a lot to be excited about with this program and recruiting.

Part of the problem is Pitt fans are supposed to be homers. Fans is an abbreviation for fanatics. There are plenty of people (Psu and Wvu) out there that don’t like Pitt and would be happy to tear Pitt down. This site and others have a bias towards larger fanbases. A slight bump with a recruit from say 5.7 to 5.8 all of a sudden makes the player a 4-star. Minchey was bumped from a 3-star to a 4-star shortly after he switched his commitment from Pitt to ND. There’s a lot to be excited about with this program and recruiting.
Yea I get and know all that about fans. I’m not talking about support. Or defending your school. Nothing wrong with being a hard core fan. At all. Whatever one enjoys in life. I just don’t like bs. Or saying “troll” or “Nitter” at anyone whose opinion differs.

But bottom line - Pitt having a top 10 class - while that’s what Rivals shows when you go there - is utter nonsense. It’s misleading at best.

Yea I get and know all that about fans. I’m not talking about support. Or defending your school. Nothing wrong with being a hard core fan. At all. Whatever one enjoys in life. I just don’t like bs. Or saying “troll” or “Nitter” at anyone whose opinion differs.

But bottom line - Pitt having a top 10 class - while that’s what Rivals shows when you go there - is utter nonsense. It’s misleading at best.
We just won 20 games over 2 seasons and had a bunch of guys drafted. A lot of those players were underrated as were those recruiting classes. Why would it be so outlandish to finish with a Top 15-20 recruiting class?

We just won 20 games over 2 seasons and had a bunch of guys drafted. A lot of those players were underrated as were those recruiting classes. Why would it be so outlandish to finish with a Top 15-20 recruiting class?
I never said anything of the sort.My only point all along was pointing out 9 right now is misleading at best.

But since you asked based on average stars to this point that seems a bit optimistic with so many spots are filled up. But a lot can change so I’m not saying it’s impossible. 20-25 seems a little more realistic to me. 15 seems overly ambitious. But I’d be thrilled to be wrong.

They have had success in identifying talent. So
I think it’s much more likely they could finish in the 15-20 range on my hypothetical hindsight rankings.

Just finish in the 30's and I'll be happy. Seems like we are on track to do that.

One thing I find interesting is how hard we're hammering DB this year. Hope that's not a reflection of what we think of some of the youth we have on the roster. Same thing kind of happened with wide receiver in last year's class.

Just finish in the 30's and I'll be happy. Seems like we are on track to do that.

One thing I find interesting is how hard we're hammering DB this year. Hope that's not a reflection of what we think of some of the youth we have on the roster. Same thing kind of happened with wide receiver in last year's class.
It looks like they will over recruit and then get the number down to where it needs to be. You always have some recruits or Pitt change their mind at some point in the process.

For this season it would be impossible.

The class would essentially have to be scraped almost top to bottom and new players brought in.

I cant think of a bigger waste of time than thumping ones chest about a recruiting class

in June.......

"Part of the problem is Pitt fans are supposed to be homers. Fans is an abbreviation for fanatics. There are plenty of people (Psu and Wvu) out there that don’t like Pitt and would be happy to tear Pitt down."

THIS!

Is it negative to point out that the top 10 rating is a function of the sheer number of commitments?
No, that's not negative and they're never going to stay in the top 15, let alone top 10, until a heck of a lot more money starts coming into the program and NIL collectives.

What's negative is acting like Duke has a better class with their 5 recruits since they average a higher star rating. A number you correctly point out won't be meaningful until everyone fills classes. Even then we can further debate how meaningful some of the numbers really are, since we all know the services take into account who is signing you.

The good news is that they're getting kids who are early targets. They won't keep all, they might poach a few from others, and they'll identify some guys to go after late.

No, that's not negative and they're never going to stay in the top 15, let alone top 10, until a heck of a lot more money starts coming into the program and NIL collectives.

What's negative is acting like Duke has a better class with their 5 recruits since they average a higher star rating. A number you correctly point out won't be meaningful until everyone fills classes. Even then we can further debate how meaningful some of the numbers really are, since we all know the services take into account who is signing you.

The good news is that they're getting kids who are early targets. They won't keep all, they might poach a few from others, and they'll identify some guys to go after late.
Duke has a QB in their class and 6 of 8 players are in top 1000 right now. Pitt has 17 players with 8 on top 1000. Based on PSN, they should have 2-3 of the silents in top 1000, but chances are duke is also able to pull 10 top 1000 players in their class. Based on average ratings, Pitt is like 40th in 247 class rankings. Not a lot of dead weight this class, but also room for improvement.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
Just for the sake of reality, the class average rating (today) lands this class somewhere between 30 and 50 depending on the number of recruits and what other schools do, traditionally speaking. Just how the ratings work. Of course, adding some 4's would definitely bring that up.

Its funny when Pitt classes are smaller and the rankings are low because of it, most dont mention anything. Now they have a big class with early high ranking, now everyone wants to point out its because of the size of the class.

Honestly Pitt cant win no matter what. There are just way too many pessimistic fans and clearly PSU and WVU fans on these boards, who simply act like children coming on the boards and just posting really stupid comments.

If you are a true Pitt fan f--- what poster say. Be as happy as you want about the team. If those people are so bent out of shape because you are being a so-called homer or too positive **** em.

Its funny when Pitt classes are smaller and the rankings are low because of it, most dont mention anything. Now they have a big class with early high ranking, now everyone wants to point out its because of the size of the class.

Honestly Pitt cant win no matter what. There are just way too many pessimistic fans and clearly PSU and WVU fans on these boards, who simply act like children coming on the boards and just posting really stupid comments.

If you are a true Pitt fan f--- what poster say. Be as happy as you want about the team. If those people are so bent out of shape because you are being a so-called homer or too positive **** em.
There is truth in between. It’s false advertising to say we are 8th. While true in one metric, that metric is incomplete. I’ve been negative, though am glad Duzz has finished the deal with recent players and do believe it will be his best class as a whole on paper.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
It’s a great class. Probably the best recruiting ever since I’ve been a Pitt fan. Have a high average star, lots of recruits and most importantly nearly every visitor is raving about Pitt.

In the past you always would hear “it was good” they were cool, or something mild. Now even the ones that don’t commit here are overly complementing the staff and school

Perception is reality in college football.

Pitt needs to continue to grow its perception, locally and nationally, that the program is taking steps..national steps... forward.

Meaningless as they might be for actual reality, these rankings aren't unimportant in the world of perception.

It does seem that all the recruits have potential to be very good college players in time. But, no guys who provide instant impact.

It’s a great class. Probably the best recruiting ever since I’ve been a Pitt fan. Have a high average star, lots of recruits and most importantly nearly every visitor is raving about Pitt.

In the past you always would hear “it was good” they were cool, or something mild. Now even the ones that don’t commit here are overly complementing the staff and school
We’ve been building a better team period been more depth and we keep growing that. I’m thinking some of these kids will be in the rotation immediately though especially wr

Reactions: doubleAA's
Recruiting as with most other measures of this program is solid and on a positive trajectory.

I wish all the measures of this program, including recruiting, were better but my wishing is meaningless.

The reality is that this program faces many constraints both within and without that keep it from being elite but this staff is painstakingly dragging this thing forward and seemingly doing things the right way and in a sustainable way. How can anyone who's followed Pitt football for any length of time not be excited about the future?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT