ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt now with 7 4-star recruits as Hayes gets upgraded

Some "ignored" poster must have posted some crap! I only have one poster on ignore so I know who it is. The ignore feature is nice!

Do we have any impact offensive players coming in next year?
couple nice wrs with some impressive offers. 2 Rbs that look like they are tearing it up in high school too. but no guarantees, such is life..

Hayes is defitely a future DT, right? Can i hope for a nice sized DE or should i just go ahead and accept the inevitable?

Reactions: dcpitt and H2P 2003
I hope they are solid. I get called a troll for worrying about the offense, but it is very deficient right now
im worried too man, im with you. WRs scare me. I like Mack and Shocky is starting to show up but the other guys like Butler Jenkins have been MIA. we are going to have to find at least 2 if not 3 younger Wrs not named Mack. Shocky is one but who knows what is gonna happen after that.

RB, im getting a tiny bit more optimistic. Jim had a story on the backs and i saw Powell actually say something positive about Vincent Davis. i take that for a lot since my man Powell doesn't exactly throw out praise very often.. still don't see a shady/Conner/Dion lewis or even Ray graham type playermaker yet but i think there is some decent talent..

QB is what it is, not even worth discussing..

its hard to figure out if the WR's are any good or not, our QB alone has a hard enough time throwing the ball down the field to even get it to the receiver

Reactions: lilspainishflea
its hard to figure out if the WR's are any good or not, our QB alone has a hard enough time throwing the ball down the field to even get it to the receiver

I still hold hope we can snag a bit TE that can have an impact right away. Not sure if we are in on any (HS or JUCO). But a big threat in the middle could help open up the rest of the passing game.

im worried too man, im with you. WRs scare me. I like Mack and Shocky is starting to show up but the other guys like Butler Jenkins have been MIA. we are going to have to find at least 2 if not 3 younger Wrs not named Mack. Shocky is one but who knows what is gonna happen after that.

RB, im getting a tiny bit more optimistic. Jim had a story on the backs and i saw Powell actually say something positive about Vincent Davis. i take that for a lot since my man Powell doesn't exactly throw out praise very often.. still don't see a shady/Conner/Dion lewis or even Ray graham type playermaker yet but i think there is some decent talent..

OLs and QB the most critical needs. No offense can succeed without, at a minimum, solid OL and QB play.

Is there a team with less productive/ talented TEs than Pitt?

Got to step it up get a few (anyway they can) for next year. I’d imagine Watson -not including TEs in virtually any plays the past few years - did wonders for coaches trying to convince talented TEs to commit.

Reactions: freddietee511
OLs and QB the most critical needs. No offense can succeed without, at a minimum, solid OL and QB play.
Well we’ve had solid OLine play and over the last 5 years, very good OLine play for the most part. Some of those O lines a few years ago were flat out dominant. And we still found ways to lose 4-5 games a year.

So I guess it’s the QB situation.

I agree on the need to recruit some playmakers on offense. Why don’t they line up V’Lique Carter at slot and throw to him? I would love to see what the kid can do in the open field.

I agree on the need to recruit some playmakers on offense. Why don’t they line up V’Lique Carter at slot and throw to him? I would love to see what the kid can do in the open field.
The game winning play in the duke win was a microcosm if what I’d like to see more. Of course the play that worked, i liked. He has skill sets that a good and inventive OC should love.

the wr recruit from Florida, the bigger one. I’m predicting him to move to defense. I’m calling it now so if it happens, I get credit for it. Henningham to defense. Hey @mjf313, I said it.

Reactions: dcpitt
The great thing about having a bunch of talented WR's coming in is...
a) We need them
b) That is perhaps the top position a true FR can have the most impact

Reactions: Sam Bam Clancy
Well we’ve had solid OLine play and over the last 5 years, very good OLine play for the most part. Some of those O lines a few years ago were flat out dominant. And we still found ways to lose 4-5 games a year.

We found ways because it has been forever since Pitt had a good offense and good defense the same year. It was an either one or the other EVERY SINGLE SEASON since Wanny was here.

Last year was a great run game horrible pass game with solid defense. This year is great defense with less than stellar offense.

We haven't had solid O line play since 2016. And the defense was horrible until this year. We lost a lot of games, especially in 2016 when our offense was excellent, because of that D.

We found ways because it has been forever since Pitt had a good offense and good defense the same year. It was an either one or the other EVERY SINGLE SEASON since Wanny was here.

Last year was a great run game horrible pass game with solid defense. This year is great defense with less than stellar offense.
Defense showed some signs but still not solid last year. Not in top 50 statistically. Closer top 80 in scoring D.

Other than that, agree with you 100%.

We haven't had solid O line play since 2016. And the defense was horrible until this year. We lost a lot of games, especially in 2016 when our offense was excellent, because of that D.
we had really good o-lines in '14, 15 and '16. it's not the end all that a lot of people make it out to be.. Those Walt teams had abysmal O-lines and we still figured it out. Palko would drop back and have zero time, we still found ways to win just as much, and lose just as much, as we do today..

How about last year when they ran for 228 yards a game on 5.6 yards per carry?

Or is your argument they were not solid because Pickett kept holding the ball or got happy feet?
our O-line was fine last year and it's fine this year. pickett gets pressured every once in awhile and pitt fans thinks our line stinks. it happens everywhere, especially in college football. QBs get pressured, that's football. we aren't susceptible to it..

a lot of people think the O-line is the end all and it's not. i see countless examples of teams winning with an avg O-line. yeah it helps but so does anything. Pitt has great O in '16, we lose 4 games. I've seen great passing games with Pitt Qbs putting up great numbers and Walt teams lost a few.. now we have a very good de and we lost 3 games so far.. we've had great o-lines under Chryst and we went 6 and 7 for cryin out loud..

Reactions: docden

Or is your argument they were not solid because Pickett kept holding the ball or got happy feet?

We had a great line for the running game, their pass blocking was something to be desired. It wasn't as bad as many think because like you correctly state Pickett held the ball and would not avoid the rush. But their pass blocking was not to the same standard as their run blocking last year.

our O-line was fine last year and it's fine this year. pickett gets pressured every once in awhile and pitt fans thinks our line stinks. it happens everywhere, especially in college football. QBs get pressured, that's football. we aren't susceptible to it..

a lot of people think the O-line is the end all and it's not. i see countless examples of teams winning with an avg O-line. yeah it helps but so does anything. Pitt has great O in '16, we lose 4 games. I've seen great passing games with Pitt Qbs putting up great numbers and Walt teams lost a few.. now we have a very good de and we lost 3 games so far.. we've had great o-lines under Chryst and we went 6 and 7 for cryin out loud..

Like I said before. We never had a complete team. Something was always lacking. There are too many years to count where the collective thought among Pitt fans was : Damn we have a very good/great fill in the blank if only fill in the blank was average Pitt could have been 10-2 or 11-1.

Hell even when Pitt had all the talent everywhere on the field, they still manage to disappoint (the Cincy game).

we had really good o-lines in '14, 15 and '16. it's not the end all that a lot of people make it out to be.. Those Walt teams had abysmal O-lines and we still figured it out. Palko would drop back and have zero time, we still found ways to win just as much, and lose just as much, as we do today..

Palko's line under Harris was solid. It was his line with Wanny that they sucked.

Reactions: jctrack
I hope they are solid. I get called a troll for worrying about the offense, but it is very deficient right now

Actually I think our WR recruiting is done. We have 3 very highly receivers coming in plus Wil Gipson coming back. We should be stacked if a couple of these pan out

Actually I think our WR recruiting is done. We have 3 very highly receivers coming in plus Wil Gipson coming back. We should be stacked if a couple of these pan out

hopefully that’s the case. What about oline as running back? Not to mention QB?

teams stack the box against us cause Pickett is a liability, if he was pushing the ball down the field teams would back off and the running game would take off

teams stack the box against us cause Pickett is a liability, if he was pushing the ball down the field teams would back off and the running game would take off
We need one big durable, big, mean, I'll get 4 yds, if you hit me I'm hurting you RB.

No matter how many 4 star players Narduzzi brings in, IT WON'T BE GOOD ENOUGH, say the trolls...

They will still complain or won't be satisfied...

When you say offers are a better indicator as to the quality of recruit, they'll tell you; "Those aren't REAL offers"

Then when we do land 4 star players blithering idiots like that imbecile jpripper88 would say; "They aren't consensus 4 star players"

When you land a consensus 4 Star player, they will say "What about the other positions?"

These people have no lives... Useless on the board and probably useless in society as well...

Reactions: 4upmc

I’ve explained this before-last year’s line was cobbled together with 4 natural guards and a center. We were terrible blocking the edges for the run and pass. Why? Because the tackles, Millin and Bookser, were natural guards, suited for interior blocking and not quick enough to block the edges. I’d add that we weren’t able to run the ball on most of the good defensive teams we played last year either. We racked up all kinds of rushing yardage against the weaker Ds.

This year’s OL is worse for sure and struggles in both run blocking and pass protection. We rank 106 in rushing yardage and can’t get short yardage when we need it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT