ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt Overachieved This Year

Absolutely they did.

Though I would say perspective works both ways: Like only having one respectable season in five years because that group overachieved.

Reactions: PittPoker
We don’t have any NBA players on this roster and our talent level is average. Going 22-11 and 15-7 in conference games is a good accomplishment. Some of you need perspective.
Haters are always going to hate. Leopards NEVER change their spots. Some of them will pretend to, though. Most of us know who they are.

Everything from here on in is gravy. I’ve seen comparisons to Howland’s first year but honestly, I think this may be even more incredible. And I wouldn’t be shocked if this group doesn’t have some more surprises left in them.

Absolutely they did.

Though I would say perspective works both ways: Like only having one respectable season in five years because that group overachieved.
Realistically - making the NCAA’s 2 or 3 times on average over a 5 year span at Pitt is doing a good job. Who we land in the transfer market will dictate if we can have back to back successful seasons.

Reactions: jctrack
We don’t have any NBA players on this roster and our talent level is average. Going 22-11 and 15-7 in conference games is a good accomplishment. Some of you need perspective.

Yea. It still was a good season. I said 8-12 but it really was more like a 10-10 team who was like 6-2 in 1 possession games which skewed our record. And NET/Vegas bears that out. Our record reflects more luck than usual.

1) This was the most wins by any Pitt basketball team since 2014. People should let that sink in for just a moment. Dixon's last 2 seasons didn't finish with that many, and the year isnt over yet.

2) We have the ACC Coach of the year, a 1st team all acc and 2nd team all acc player, and the 6th man of the year

3) The last 4 players to commit to Pitt basketball are:

4 Star Dior Johnson
4 Star Carlton Carrington
4 Star Jaland Lowe
4 Star Brandin Cummings (by espn)

4) We were 1 basket away from an ACC Regular Season Title

5) We had 9 scholarship players on this team and still made the tournament this year. That in itself is both ridiculously hard to achieve and remarkable at the same time. Jeff Capel maxed out the talent on this current team, and the incoming talent is better. With 9 players on scholarship with zero margin for error and a team picked 14th in the preseason and some people picking 15th, Capel should be in the running for national coach of the year.

1) This was the most wins by any Pitt basketball team since 2014. People should let that sink in for just a moment. Dixon's last 2 seasons didn't finish with that many, and the year isnt over yet.

2) We have the ACC Coach of the year, a 1st team all acc and 2nd team all acc player, and the 6th man of the year

4 Star Dior Johnson
4 Star Jaland Lowe

5) We had 9 scholarship players on this team and still made the tournament this year. That in itself is both ridiculously hard to achieve and remarkable at the same time. Jeff Capel maxed out the talent on this current team, and the incoming talent is better. With 9 players on scholarship with zero margin for error and a team picked 14th in the preseason and some people picking 15th, Capel should be in the running for national coach of the year.
Exactly right. The head coach, the staff and mostly the players did one HELL of a job this season. And it’s not over yet.

They sure did have a good year. That doesn't negate their embarrassing performance today with the money on the table.....

Reactions: PittPoker
Exactly right. The head coach, the staff and mostly the players did one HELL of a job this season. And it’s not over yet.

We are winning games again and recruiting is at a whole new level right now.

I dont know what in the world people are crying about. For Pete sake, it was 2018 when Kevin Stallings gave this program the death penalty and we were winless and lifeless in the ACC. That was 5 measly years ago. We have crawled out of that dark miserable hole and Im grateful it didn't take another 5-10 years to come back from that death sentence from Stallings and Barnes. We aren't winning the national title this year or making the final 4. Big deal. We are back to respectability. And with respectability comes better players to play for Pitt and potentially better results in the future.

We could have lost todays game by 1000 points and it wouldn't have changed my mind on the job Capel has done this year.

We are winning games again and recruiting is at a whole new level right now.

I dont know what in the world people are crying about. For Pete sake, it was 2018 when Kevin Stallings gave this program the death penalty and we were winless and lifeless in the ACC. That was 5 measly years ago. We have crawled out of that dark miserable hole and Im grateful it didn't take another 5-10 years to come back from that death sentence from Stallings and Barnes. We aren't winning the national title this year or making the final 4. Big deal. We are back to respectability. And with respectability comes better players to play for Pitt and potentially better results in the future.

We could have lost todays game by 1000 points and it wouldn't have changed my mind on the job Capel has done this year.
So when the current recruiting class was in 7th grade. Please don’t mention Kevin stallings. With the invention of the portal and 1 time transfer rule 5 years ago might as well be 5 decades ago. No recruit is not coming to Pitt because Marcus Carr went 0-18

Capel has Pitt where they should be. In contention for championships and tourneys. Hopefully he can continue this

It was a fine season given all expectations and what this ragtag group of fringe transfers was able to accomplish was impressive. It’s a nice story fans can talk about down the road regardless of what happens going forward. We may slip right back into the abyss (honestly, more likely than not) or hopefully, it’s a springboard back to relevancy. Either way, with likely only one game remaining for this gang, hats off to them

Reactions: pittguy81
No argument here. It's been so many years since Pitt was a relevant team in the NCAA. I know there are a whole lot of fans who were almost despirate to see this team continue to play at an over-achieving level down the stretch. Pitt had a fantastic season. Here's hoping that this kind of season will become a habit

It was a fine season given all expectations and what this ragtag group of fringe transfers was able to accomplish was impressive. It’s a nice story fans can talk about down the road regardless of what happens going forward. We may slip right back into the abyss (honestly, more likely than not) or hopefully, it’s a springboard back to relevancy. Either way, with likely only one game remaining for this gang, hats off to them
I do agree...in macro terms. This loss was like a Mike Tyson beatdown.....

4 Star Dior Johnson
4 Star Jaland Lowe

When Pitt was running off top 4 seeds in the NCAA, how many NBA players did they have?

If they played 50 times and Duke played the way they did, then we lose 50 times. So losing by 14-18 would have made you feel better. Gimme a break.
And so would almost every other CBB team lose to a Duke team with that talented of a roster playing like Duke did today.

Duke is to be congratulated. For Pitt? A slap in the face and a reality check. But that’s today. Tomorrow and beyond? Time will tell. Doesn’t change the past though As far as what comes next? Have to wait and see. There is no continuum. Have to start all over again tomorrow and do it again.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Our Elite 8 team also had the most talent. The ones that overachieved usually lost earlier in the NCAA tournament. That’s how it works.
Agree. For our current team, it is all about matchups. If we draw a really athletic bunch, we are toast. If we get a team more like us, who is not comprised of upper-level athletes, we will definitely have a shot to win one. I think there is a shot that we get the pedophiles in Dayton.

Agree. For our current team, it is all about matchups. If we draw a really athletic bunch, we are toast. If we get a team more like us, who is not comprised of upper-level athletes, we will definitely have a shot to win one. I think there is a shot that we get the pedophiles in Dayton.
I wouldn’t be surprised by that at all since the NCAA loves storylines.

Reactions: Pittisit4me
If they played 50 times and Duke played the way they did, then we lose 50 times. So losing by 14-18 would have made you feel better. Gimme a break.

Duke has 2-3 seed talent. Forget how they played today. If we played Duke 10 times, they'd beat us 10 times. They are way better and a bad matchup. I didnt think we'd win but I thought we'd keep it close. The combined 90 point losses to Mich, WVU, and Duke cost us 30 spots in NET

Duke has 2-3 seed talent. Forget how they played today. If we played Duke 10 times, they'd beat us 10 times. They are way better and a bad matchup. I didnt think we'd win but I thought we'd keep it close. The combined 90 point losses to Mich, WVU, and Duke cost us 30 spots in NET
Duke has 1 seed talent. They are mostly young and just getting it together. They are a really special defensive team. That said, Pitt's defense had more to do with their offensive explosion, than the team's own natural offensive abilities.

HCJP was very fortunate that the players that he brought in played as well as they have. Before, and even at the start of the season, I would have bet that things would get so bad that he’d be bought out his contract before the end of the season. This season has been a bit of revival, but there’s still a long way to go.

Come on man you know it doesn’t take much for Pitt fans to get the pitch forks out. All that I love this team stuff went out the window pretty quick

There’s not one person who predicted this team would have a chance to win the aCC regular season title in the last game of the year, win 22 games and an acc tourney game even a couple of weeks into the season.

But I do get it. It’s disappointing for sure that they couldn’t finish the deal. The ND game in particular was crushing as a fan. But that doesn’t take away how enjoyable this season was and the fact that it was a success beyond anyone’s expectations.

I think the guys just ran out of gas as they had a ton of close emotional games. Hopefully they recharge and make a little run in the NCAA assuming they get a chance

I’m not gonna rag on any player We knew they all have limitations but the sum of the parts was far greater than the individual pieces. I’m glad they all made Pitt hoops fun to watch again this year

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
For sure for me. I hoped winning record and that was with Dior. Then later thought max was 20 and they hit 22. But they’re running on fumes now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT