ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt QB situation ranked Tier 6 (out of 12 for P5 teams)

CJsE

Junior
Mar 5, 2016

TIER 6: A second act after ACC struggles (five players)

Kentucky's Devin Leary
Miami's Tyler Van Dyke
Nebraska's Jeff Sims
NC State's Brennan Armstrong
Pitt's Phil Jurkovec

Of every Power 5 quarterback who started at least six games vs. Power 5 opponents in 2022, none finished with a worse Total QBR than Jurkovec. Of course, Jurkovec was playing behind what may have been the worst offensive line in the country. BC ranked 129th in pressure rate allowed and 131st in rushes stopped for a loss or no gain. Jurkovec was pressured on 44.4% of his dropbacks vs. Power Five opponents -- 23% more than any other Power 5 QB. There's nowhere to go but up at Pitt.

On another note, at Tier 10 we have...

BYU's Kedon Slovis
Cincinnati's Emory Jones (or Evan Prater)
FAU's Casey Thompson (or Daniel Richardson)
Oklahoma State's Alan Bowman (or Gunnar Gundy or Garret Rangel)
Rice's JT Daniels

Daniels and Slovis were teammates at USC in 2019. Since then, they've combined to start for five more schools.

Slovis on third and fourth down last season: 39-of-79 passing with three touchdowns, four picks, 10 sacks and a 13.3 QBR, the second-worst mark in FBS.

Reactions: Drew1208
Tyler Van Dyke is a victim of a pretty shoddy offense. You'd think with the talent they can recruit he'd just have to heave it and let guys run under the ball.

Moving on from the pro-style and going back to the Air Raid, should help him.

The fact that he just turned down Alabama, probably means the new offense is probably more his style.

I don't think it was the pro-style as much as the play calling. They weren't aggressive down field as much as they should have been.

I would say it’s both.

Having a small playbook that you just run over and over again, and those plays do a really good job of taking advantage of space, matters to a QB. It makes everything easier

There’s a reason why Air Raid QBs do so well. Even if the offense itself isn’t the highest ranking, the QB still tends to have a really good season.

Bunching the box and playing bully ball and passing concepts that are very different, and a playbook that is a lot more extensive, is going to hurt a lot of QBs.

I would agree that, even independent of an Air Raid and pro-style, Gattis was not a good play caller.

TIER 6: A second act after ACC struggles (five players)

Kentucky's Devin Leary
Miami's Tyler Van Dyke
Nebraska's Jeff Sims
NC State's Brennan Armstrong
Pitt's Phil Jurkovec

Of every Power 5 quarterback who started at least six games vs. Power 5 opponents in 2022, none finished with a worse Total QBR than Jurkovec. Of course, Jurkovec was playing behind what may have been the worst offensive line in the country. BC ranked 129th in pressure rate allowed and 131st in rushes stopped for a loss or no gain. Jurkovec was pressured on 44.4% of his dropbacks vs. Power Five opponents -- 23% more than any other Power 5 QB. There's nowhere to go but up at Pitt.

On another note, at Tier 10 we have...

BYU's Kedon Slovis
Cincinnati's Emory Jones (or Evan Prater)
FAU's Casey Thompson (or Daniel Richardson)
Oklahoma State's Alan Bowman (or Gunnar Gundy or Garret Rangel)
Rice's JT Daniels

Daniels and Slovis were teammates at USC in 2019. Since then, they've combined to start for five more schools.

Slovis on third and fourth down last season: 39-of-79 passing with three touchdowns, four picks, 10 sacks and a 13.3 QBR, the second-worst mark in FBS.

Cignetti placed him into too many 3rd and long situation with those bigger sets on 1st and 2nd.

I don't like that the article went Tier 1a and 1b when there is an obvious step down in talent. 1b is Tier 2. The same with the other tiers with a and b. Also, way too many tiers of players, IMO. I do agree that Jurkovec is a middle-of-the pack QB.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT