ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt Stadium pic from the '80s

Almost has to be the WVU game in '76. I don't think Barco and Posvar halls would look as complete in '75, or at least there would be cranes. Also, regarding 77, the old Pennsylvania Hall was painted with the Pitt (pink panther version) Panther for the 1st game that year...'76 no paint on that building as in the photo.

In the photo, the trees in the foreground look fairly, but not completely, bare. Highlight clips from Miami game earlier in the '76 season show a much more sparsely populated east endzone.

Also, check out white banner placement in the blue painted sideline wall in the east endzone...plus the bunched up people (band?) standing in front of the wall from that endzone to the 20 yard line...it's a match to the below game tape for WVU (and does not match SU game posted above)!:

That sort of clinches it for me. November 13, 1976 Pitt vs WVU. ABC game, last game of the season at Pitt Stadium, Pitt newly ranked #1...also a good reason to send a plane, helicopter, or blimp up to snap an aerial photo of that game.
I too think it is WVU from 1976. I agree about the banner on the visitor side. Right to the left (looking at it) of the 50-yard line, it is quite visible in the video you posted. I think the trees look like they are pretty much brown and done and grass can still be reasonably green once the heat dies down. I was at that game but, did not have a camera as I was not even 10-years old.

And, as Panthers2015 stated and I looked at as well, Pennsylvania Hall not having the Panther painted on the wall is important to this discussion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT