ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt transfer (the lack of them)

This is a good and bad thing, good cause Duzz doesn't run off players that won't help , bad because Duzz doesn't try to upgrade talent , and thinks he is going to win with 3 and 2 stars , he won't

Not surprising that schools like Stanford, Pitt, UVA, Wisconsin and NW have low numbers. All have had consistency in staff. They also recruit program type kids, not a load of blue chips that would have more expectations of immediate PT. They’re also good schools so there may be some component of kids choosing the schools for degree, major, etc more than just football.

This is a good and bad thing, good cause Duzz doesn't run off players that won't help , bad because Duzz doesn't try to upgrade talent , and thinks he is going to win with 3 and 2 stars , he won't
LOL, you're a one trick pony and clearly have no idea how this affects teams or how signing counters work.

You must Tennessee.

TCU being so high on that list is odd to me. They've had the same coach for 1,000 years, and he tends to recruit "reaches" that are system fits rather than high-profile guys that tend to transfer if they don't play early.

Is it possible that, for at least some of our players, a Pitt-level program is their ceiling and that transferring would most likely involve a smaller or Group of 5 program? It's not like we only compete with MAC schools like we did in the Chryst years but the lack of interesting, high-profile options may be tamping down our transfers.

Players seem to like Duzz and the program. Football players transfer less than basketball players overall but those numbers are still remarkable.

Reactions: Chescat
I don't think this list says anything definitive either way. Some of the schools that have a lot of transfers have had coaching changes or some other problem but the schools that don't have a lot of transfers have almost nothing in common.

For what it's worth, I think Pitt is generally a nice program with good facilities. Despite not having that breakout season, the program is putting players in the league and if you're not that well regarded, the majority of these kids are getting meaningful degrees.

It is a very good thing. We just need a slight improvement in the win column and continue improving recruiting.

Does this bode well for our chances against Tennessee? I think it does. Between graduation and turnover, gotta be between a third and a half of the players are new.

Eh. The list doesn’t really mean anything except that Tenn. was a train wreck and new coaches have a lot of roster turnover.

You can make whatever narrative you want about the rest.

Last edited:
I'm surprised osu does not have more. They always recruit very high yet they lose a minimum of players to transfer.

Reactions: cashisking884
I'm surprised osu does not have more. They always recruit very high yet they lose a minimum of players to transfer.

Maybe the draft helps some of the top teams?

Like players leave early at the top schools. So it’s not as if there’s a log jam for any long period of time. here today, gone tomorrow. So if you’re not first on the depth chart, why sweat it? The starter will be heading off to the NFL soon enough, might as well wait your turn.

The constant roster influx at a school like Alabama thanks to the all the elite talent, maybe helps them keep elite talent.

No it’s all good

plus we get transfers too.

pretty much a win-win

Yeah but you can see why the nitters would spin it.

The thread that ties these schools at the bottom of the list are good coaching, nice campuses, and of course great ranked schools.

This is what you get when you build a stable program. Good things are coming

Reactions: President Stache
Yeah but you can see why the nitters would spin it.

The thread that ties these schools at the bottom of the list are good coaching, nice campuses, and of course great ranked schools.

This is what you get when you build a stable program. Good things are coming

How many years from now ? Just so I know when it's coming , 7 not enough , how about 10?

Reactions: cashisking884
Players seem to like Duzz and the program. Football players transfer less than basketball players overall but those numbers are still remarkable.
I think one reason why basketball players transfer more than football players it is sort of in their DNA. Look how many go away to prep schools and even jump prep schools. In football, most of the kids go to the local HS's (or local Private school) and while there definitely is recruiting and poaching of kids in HS football, it is absolutely modus operandi in basketball.

So this type of transient tendencies (and AAU teams) probably contributes the unwillingness for a BB player to wait out even a bad season or something he doesn't like.

I think one reason why basketball players transfer more than football players it is sort of in their DNA. Look how many go away to prep schools and even jump prep schools. In football, most of the kids go to the local HS's (or local Private school) and while there definitely is recruiting and poaching of kids in HS football, it is absolutely modus operandi in basketball.

So this type of transient tendencies (and AAU teams) probably contributes the unwillingness for a BB player to wait out even a bad season or something he doesn't like.
There’s also just far more “less than” schools in basketball.

The ACC had two major QB transfer storylines last year. King to Miami and Newman to UGA.

Newman was at an ACC school and King was at one of the premier G5 football schools. Both left because they wanted a taste of big time football before their careers were over.

In college basketball you have a lot more nobody schools. So you’re going to have a lot more Newmans and Kings.

Last edited:
There’s also just far more “less than” schools in basketball.

The ACC had to major QB transfer storylines last year. King to Miami and Newman to UGA.

Newman was at an ACC school and King was at one of the premier G5 football schools. Both left because they wanted a taste of big time football before their careers were over.

In college basketball you have a lot more nobody schools. So you’re going to have a lot more Newmans and Kings.

Wow, I forgot about Newman transferring and then opting out for the season. Just saw he went undrafted and isn't even on a roster as a free agent. I hope he isn't still listening to whomever was in his ear.

I remember the rumors very well back around 2000. Others might remember it better than me, but I seem to recall Walt’s agent being very vocal and stirring up the media.

I definitely remember it. There was all the “private jet on the runway” stuff posted online and after a week or so, Walt finally made a public comment that he was staying at Pitt. I think that was after 2000 when Alabama ended up hiring Franchione.

Wow, I forgot about Newman transferring and then opting out for the season. Just saw he went undrafted and isn't even on a roster as a free agent. I hope he isn't still listening to whomever was in his ear.
Yes, that is a great cautionary tale to these "opt out" folks. Jalen Twyman didn't exactly help himself either.

Yes, that is a great cautionary tale to these "opt out" folks. Jalen Twyman didn't exactly help himself either.

If you opt out you are COMPLETELY at the mercy of your combine numbers... period.

If we had someone from Twyman's family timing him at a 4.9 he would have went first round. His speed numbers sucked. He had no tape to show he is quick. And that was that.

Transfers are going to be up because of the transfer rule and also a lot of teams are trying to figure out how to deal with the super seniors, some schools were not keen on having 6-year guys around. It is going to be worse next year and rough for the 4-5 years with more super seniors and locked in 85 limit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT