ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt VB vs PSU 4-14-24

chrisran24

Redshirt
Gold Member
Feb 12, 2019

Was anyone at the scrimmage vs PSU today? Following the Twitter feed, sounded like we had major comebacks in each set victory, mostly spurred by Fairbanks’ serve and Babcock’s hitting. Would love to hear thoughts if anyone was there!

It seems strange to be putting out video and scores of out-of-season scrimmages against other schools.

I was there. Uneven but they got it done when they needed to. Both teams subbed a lot and clearly aren’t in midseason form. That said:
- Was impressed by Ryla Jones (especially) and Grimaldi. Neither played a lot but both had kills and blocks and looked like they will fit in nicely.
- Bayless was inconsistent but she hits rockets. A real weapon when she is on
- The experienced players were all pretty solid, but all of the starters played less than they normally would.
- Bre Kelley played. Good to see her out there but they were clearly limiting her reps
- One thing that doesn’t seem to take an offseason is this team’s ability to grind out wins. Their experience was a huge differentiator

I was there. Uneven but they got it done when they needed to. Both teams subbed a lot and clearly aren’t in midseason form. That said:
- Was impressed by Ryla Jones (especially) and Grimaldi. Neither played a lot but both had kills and blocks and looked like they will fit in nicely.
- Bayless was inconsistent but she hits rockets. A real weapon when she is on
- The experienced players were all pretty solid, but all of the starters played less than they normally would.
- Bre Kelley played. Good to see her out there but they were clearly limiting her reps
- One thing that doesn’t seem to take an offseason is this team’s ability to grind out wins. Their experience was a huge differentiator
Thanks for the futz notes. Do you if psu subbed out their starters or did they play normal starter reps?

Thanks for the futz notes. Do you if psu subbed out their starters or did they play normal starter reps?
Not entirely sure because I am not as familiar with their personnel, but I think so. Definitely heard Jurevicius name called a lot; seems like she will be a high impact addition for them.

Not entirely sure because I am not as familiar with their personnel, but I think so. Definitely heard Jurevicius name called a lot; seems like she will be a high impact addition for them.
Only saw first 2 sets- PSU seemed to be playing with something to prove.

Thing that stood out to me was we didn’t have a single block until like. 8 points into the 2nd set.

MB is definitely the position to watch. Bre saw her first game play since her injury - clearly timing , confidence , and getting to full strength ( physically and mentally) have a ways to go.

Jepsen seemed to catch her rhythm around that 8 point moment of the 2nd set . Jones and the Argentinian player are really springy athletes- but obviously lack experience. I wonder if Fisher picks up a Mb in the portal.

Stafford dressed , seemed to walking with no issues but didn’t warm up or play.

It’s funny I had a very brief conversation with the players at the A412 meet and greet outside of the spring football game and they said they’re hoping for stepped competition- I didn’t take it as bravado - but they know they’re really good and there aren’t many teams that can push them .

Only saw first 2 sets- PSU seemed to be playing with something to prove.

Thing that stood out to me was we didn’t have a single block until like. 8 points into the 2nd set.

MB is definitely the position to watch. Bre saw her first game play since her injury - clearly timing , confidence , and getting to full strength ( physically and mentally) have a ways to go.

Jepsen seemed to catch her rhythm around that 8 point moment of the 2nd set . Jones and the Argentinian player are really springy athletes- but obviously lack experience. I wonder if Fisher picks up a Mb in the portal.

Stafford dressed , seemed to walking with no issues but didn’t warm up or play.

It’s funny I had a very brief conversation with the players at the A412 meet and greet outside of the spring football game and they said they’re hoping for stepped competition- I didn’t take it as bravado - but they know they’re really good and there aren’t many teams that can push them .
I was there also.....I'll chime in with a few comments...
  1. Babcock is a juggernaut....I have no idea what her ceiling is....amazing. I heard they have named a road in Pittsburgh for her.....Babcock Blvd ;)
  2. Fairbanks....as good as ever....looked like midseason form....
  3. Klika.....steady and reliable....I still wonder what Fisher is going to do to bring in more libero help
  4. I swear I saw Kelley have a slight limp when she left the court at the end of the 1st set
  5. Jones is the future at MB....looks very good....if Kelley is slow to return Jones will be there
  6. The service game was way off and Penn State wasn't any better
  7. The crowd was amazing....the Fitz was packed and loud....reminded me of a Pitt-Louisville game
  8. Will be interesting to see how we do at Penn State on Friday....so far Pitt has won 11 of 12 sets in the spring exhibition season

I was there also.....I'll chime in with a few comments...
  1. Babcock is a juggernaut....I have no idea what her ceiling is....amazing. I heard they have named a road in Pittsburgh for her.....Babcock Blvd ;)
  2. Fairbanks....as good as ever....looked like midseason form....
  3. Klika.....steady and reliable....I still wonder what Fisher is going to do to bring in more libero help
  4. I swear I saw Kelley have a slight limp when she left the court at the end of the 1st set
  5. Jones is the future at MB....looks very good....if Kelley is slow to return Jones will be there
  6. The service game was way off and Penn State wasn't any better
  7. The crowd was amazing....the Fitz was packed and loud....reminded me of a Pitt-Louisville game
  8. Will be interesting to see how we do at Penn State on Friday....so far Pitt has won 11 of 12 sets in the spring exhibition season
I would add that Fairbanks’ serve was terrific. She had at least 3 runs of 5 points on a serve, including the last 5 on Pitt’s 4th set win - down 21-24 when she served out to 26-24.

Not shocked. This is the time of the year to work on things and serving can be a mess when you're doing that.
The serving was almost comical at times. Once I leaned over to the fellow sitting next to me and said...I wonder if Fisher and Schumacher-Cawley told some of their players to try serving with their eyes closed! On another note if you get a chance check out PSU's Jurevicius....the redshirt freshman transfer from Nebraska. She's going to be something.

The serving was almost comical at times. Once I leaned over to the fellow sitting next to me and said...I wonder if Fisher and Schumacher-Cawley told some of their players to try serving with their eyes closed! On another note if you get a chance check out PSU's Jurevicius....the redshirt freshman transfer from Nebraska. She's going to be something.
I was aware of her talent but I had forgotten she transferred. Did they have her playing outside or opposite?

I was aware of her talent but I had forgotten she transferred. Did they have her playing outside or opposite?
It looked to me like they were experimenting with her as both OH and RS. Her athleticism and volleyball savvy was pretty obvious. She was a top 20 national recruit 2 years ago and left Nebraska under a pretty sour note. I think she'll do well at PSU.

It looked to me like they were experimenting with her as both OH and RS. Her athleticism and volleyball savvy was pretty obvious. She was a top 20 national recruit 2 years ago and left Nebraska under a pretty sour note. I think she'll do well at PSU.
She's played both. Even in club and I think on the U-19 national team. I think she struggled with velocity but that is fixable. I'm sure I'll see her up close. The PSU women's team is pretty heavily involved with Russ Rose's, son's VB club. Schumacher-Cawley's daughters play for that club, too. EDIT: I never under-sell volleyball savvy. There are a lot of girls who play the game who don't understand the game or can't think during a play, if that makes sense. Very valuable in a young player.

My biggest criticism of PSU is that they have been so "one-sided" with their attack. They really underutilized their opposites offensively last year. Made them easier to defend. At least in the games I saw. Possible that she could be the answer to that problem?

Wish we could sneak up to Rec Hall on Friday night. My daughter has a big invitational track meet on Friday and a 2-day volleyball tournament this weekend so there probably isn't any way we could do it.

Last edited:
I would add that Fairbanks’ serve was terrific. She had at least 3 runs of 5 points on a serve, including the last 5 on Pitt’s 4th set win - down 21-24 when she served out to 26-24.
One PSU fan posted that he will have nightmares about Fairbanks’ serve for at least a week.

He also said that he will be very surprised if PSU’s lineup this Fall is any different than they played today, while it is clear Pitt didn’t have all of their best players on the court. Seemed as if the PSU Coach was playing for a win while Fisher was experimenting. And still got the win.

One PSU fan posted that he will have nightmares about Fairbanks’ serve for at least a week.

He also said that he will be very surprised if PSU’s lineup this Fall is any different than they played today, while it is clear Pitt didn’t have all of their best players on the court. Seemed as if the PSU Coach was playing for a win while Fisher was experimenting. And still got the win.
PSU is still a couple of years away. She's recruiting well but has a little way to go.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT