ADVERTISEMENT

Observations and Thoughts from Pitt/UNC Today

chrisran24

Redshirt
Gold Member
Feb 12, 2019
Great win by the Pitt ladies today, observations and thoughts from being at the game:

Love that Fish stuck with the 5-1 that worked late at Duke. Having either Stafford or Babcock available out of the back row at most all times gives them so many weapons to use. And at one point when Pitt was struggling on a Fairbanks front line rotation, Fish went to the 6-2 for two spots and it was perfect with a quick middle set then went to Bayless on the right side. I like the 6-2 in spots like that but think spending the majority of the games in 5-1 is the more successful lineup.

If Babcock and Stafford play all 4 years at Pitt, they will shatter every hitting record we have. They have that much talent. Especially adding in hitting out of the back row the way they do. And i don’t know which will end up with more kills because they’re both that good.

VVG did a fantastic job hitting today on out of sync plays. She was incredibly efficient hitting and did it mostly on non-set plays. I think she tends to hit better when she isn’t the focal point of the offense and it showed today, .750 hitting for an OH is an absurdly good hitting percentage

Emmy Klika has gotten so much better. Her coverage was fantastic today. Finally feels like Pitt has a top notch Libero which has been a gap for us in previous years.

Blocking started slow today then came alive in the second set. That was the biggest difference between the two teams was Pitt’s block, it really crushed the UNC offense in sets 2 and 3.

Finally, I sat behind a staff member’s mother at the game and learned a lot from her. A couple of things:
Fairbanks still isn’t fully healthy, dealing with an abdominal injury that keeps her from swinging. She maybe looks a step slow but she’s so talented to be playing at this level while banged up.
Bre Kelley is likely done for the year unfortunately. Maybe we get lucky and get her back late but doesn’t sound good.
Maybe my favorite thing i learned from her is how good the culture is on our team. She said the players are all great people, super nice and mature. And they love Fish, who is apparently very happy in Pittsburgh (and very well compensated according to her). The future is bright for the team!

Great win by the Pitt ladies today, observations and thoughts from being at the game:

Love that Fish stuck with the 5-1 that worked late at Duke. Having either Stafford or Babcock available out of the back row at most all times gives them so many weapons to use. And at one point when Pitt was struggling on a Fairbanks front line rotation, Fish went to the 6-2 for two spots and it was perfect with a quick middle set then went to Bayless on the right side. I like the 6-2 in spots like that but think spending the majority of the games in 5-1 is the more successful lineup.

If Babcock and Stafford play all 4 years at Pitt, they will shatter every hitting record we have. They have that much talent. Especially adding in hitting out of the back row the way they do. And i don’t know which will end up with more kills because they’re both that good.

VVG did a fantastic job hitting today on out of sync plays. She was incredibly efficient hitting and did it mostly on non-set plays. I think she tends to hit better when she isn’t the focal point of the offense and it showed today, .750 hitting for an OH is an absurdly good hitting percentage

Emmy Klika has gotten so much better. Her coverage was fantastic today. Finally feels like Pitt has a top notch Libero which has been a gap for us in previous years.

Blocking started slow today then came alive in the second set. That was the biggest difference between the two teams was Pitt’s block, it really crushed the UNC offense in sets 2 and 3.

Finally, I sat behind a staff member’s mother at the game and learned a lot from her. A couple of things:
Fairbanks still isn’t fully healthy, dealing with an abdominal injury that keeps her from swinging. She maybe looks a step slow but she’s so talented to be playing at this level while banged up.
Bre Kelley is likely done for the year unfortunately. Maybe we get lucky and get her back late but doesn’t sound good.
Maybe my favorite thing i learned from her is how good the culture is on our team. She said the players are all great people, super nice and mature. And they love Fish, who is apparently very happy in Pittsburgh (and very well compensated according to her). The future is bright for the team!
Great post - thanks for sharing

on TV , it looked like there were a lot of PItt fans at the match.

Appreciate the insight. Best that Kelley work her way back slowly.....no reason to come back too soon....MB has been a strength even with her missing.....who would have imagined that.

By the way, the NCAA volleyball committee released their first top ten "if the tournament were held today" rankings of the season earlier today. We were not in their top ten.

• Wow
Reactions: chrisran24
By the way, the NCAA volleyball committee released their first top ten "if the tournament were held today" rankings of the season earlier today. We were not in their top ten.
Can't argue with the top 8 on that list, especially since Pitt lost to both #7 and #8, but 7-3 Texas and 5-5 Minnesota at 9 and 10? Texas's best win is against...Minnesota. And Minnesota has played an incredibly difficult schedule but still, 5-5 is not a top 10 team. Those two are there from name only. It should be GT and Pitt, in either order, to round out the top 10

Can't argue with the top 8 on that list, especially since Pitt lost to both #7 and #8, but 7-3 Texas and 5-5 Minnesota at 9 and 10? Texas's best win is against...Minnesota. And Minnesota has played an incredibly difficult schedule but still, 5-5 is not a top 10 team. Those two are there from name only. It should be GT and Pitt, in either order, to round out the top 10
The top 16 are ‘seeded’ and get home matches in rounds 1 and 2 - yes ?

Agree....this is pretty stupid if you ask me. The committee generated this list before the Sunday....September 24th games were played. Minnesota was clobbered by Nebraska yesterday 3 -0. Wait to see today's top 25 rankings when released this afternoon. On top of that....they have not published any RPI rankings yet. Plenty of volleyball to be played....take this top ten if the tournament was played today with a grain of salt.

Reactions: pittdan77
Seems like some of the early struggles have been because of so many new faces. Feels like that is starting to work itself out but it's never simple to just plug people in and not miss a beat. Also, another recruiting class like this last one and look out.

I will say that despite the two sweeps it feels like the talent level in the ACC is improving. Pitt is ultra talented but those weren't just easy sweeps.

Seems like some of the early struggles have been because of so many new faces. Feels like that is starting to work itself out but it's never simple to just plug people in and not miss a beat. Also, another recruiting class like this last one and look out.

I will say that despite the two sweeps it feels like the talent level in the ACC is improving. Pitt is ultra talented but those weren't just easy sweeps.
Exactly....Duke and UNC played well.....hung in as best they could. Pitt simply ground them down as each set wore on. You could see they were becoming demoralized.

Exactly....Duke and UNC played well.....hung in as best they could. Pitt simply ground them down as each set wore on. You could see they were becoming demoralized.
Duke looked better than Kentucky and both Duke and UNC were on par with Marquette , imo

Reactions: vantheman1976
The top 16 are ‘seeded’ and get home matches in rounds 1 and 2 - yes ?
Correct, there's no huge advantage to being ranked #6 vs #11 in the committee seeding except who you would play in the round of 16. The big advantage comes if you are top 4 and get to host the regionals. I think Pitt would have to almost win out to have a shot at that, at the very most drop one match to Louisville and get some help.

Correct, there's no huge advantage to being ranked #6 vs #11 in the committee seeding except who you would play in the round of 16. The big advantage comes if you are top 4 and get to host the regionals. I think Pitt would have to almost win out to have a shot at that, at the very most drop one match to Louisville and get some help.
It would be pretty cool to host regionals or get the finals in Pittsburgh.

Do remember the regionals. Not sure why I don't remember the finals being here and I know I watched it. That's really frustrating for a lot of personal reasons.

I don't know what Joe is talking about, but if you meant the Final Four, Pittsburgh definitely was not a host for that.

I don't know what Joe is talking about, but if you meant the Final Four, Pittsburgh definitely was not a host for that.

Damn, I got the year stupidly wrong, but yeah, Pittsburgh did host the Final Four in 2019. Stanford beat Wisconsin in the championship game.

1198118802.jpg.0.jpg

If you don't recognize the building in the background, the "2019 - Pittsburgh" in the logo should be the giveaway.

Reactions: bellvision1
Ah yeah, 2019, I don't remember going to that, I had to go back and look, must have been too annoyed with that Cincy loss. I stand corrected.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT