ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt visitor Amdy Ndiaye

Vader_Storm

Sophomore
Dec 16, 2018
Some notes on the incoming Pitt visitor

-Ran with the NY Jayhawks in the AAU scene, recently picked up his 4th star on espn and took visits to Rhode Island and Rutgers.

-Originally from Senegal, spent 3 years playing basketball in France before coming to the US.

-Playing with powerhouse Putnam Science this year, will have plenty of exposure on him his senior year playing a tough schedule.

-Significant athlete and shot blocker that plays above the rim, plays hard on defense, doesn't take plays off and plays with a good motor. Good rebounding ability with the potential to be really good in the future. Offense is in development.

-Was originally a 2023 kid, reclassed back to 2024. His father played at Providence.

-Pitt offered in late September. He is visiting officially next week.

Some Recent highlights of his game and athletic ability. He's about 6'10.

Last edited:
Following up on this a bit,

Ndiaye took an unofficial visit to Providence for their late night madness event 2 weeks back, it appears this hasn't been reported on any major sites or social media for some reason but Im reporting it here. He is scheduled to be taking a visit to Charleston at the end of the month who recently offered. A few bigger name schools have been coming into the practice sessions of Putnam Science recently. No new offers from them, yet...

Below is a 2 paragraph blurb on Ndiaye from Brian Reichert from rivals.com who covers the northeast basketball region of high school basketball. This was published 2 weeks ago.

Amdy Ndiaye

"The Senegal native transferred over to the program last year and showed a ton of promising potential. When he graduated despite some D1 offers and interest he decided to attend the prep power Putnam Science Academy in order boost up his stock.

Now that Ndiaye is in the class of 2024 a whole new crop of programs have entered the mix. While his interest is on the rise, he announced on his social media that he had received an offer from Pittsburgh. We know he has visited Eastern Michigan, Rutgers and recently St. Bonaventure who is making a strong push for him. We believe his recruitment should continue to pick up as more programs understand the value and potential Ndiaye brings.
If you missed out Ndiaye at LuHi you certainly missed a very intriguing player who consistently makes a positive impact on the game. He’s a terrific rebounder, excellent shot blocker, communicates well on the defensive end and can guard multiple positions. While his offense has been a big part of the development Ndiaye has morphed into a productive scorer. His ability to make threes, dribble by opposing bigs, finish through contact and complete lobs set him apart from most bigs in his class. We loved Ndiaye in 2023 and believe he’s one of the best bigs in the entire class of 2024 plus wouldn’t be surprised if he became a starter day one"

Any rumblings on how the visit went? Seems like he would be a nice add in th upcoming signings

Any rumblings on how the visit went? Seems like he would be a nice add in th upcoming signings

Like all visits, Im sure it went well. I dont have additional information on that regarding his visit to Pitt.

This is what he said beforehand on what he is looking for in a school / program.

“I want to have a good relationship with the coach because then everything will come easier for me. I want my coach to trust how I play, believe in me, and know what I can do. That’s all I want.”

So the actual relationship with Capel / assistant coaches is going to be a huge factor in his actual decision. I have not watched a lot of tape on him. But from his interviews, he seems to be an outstanding teammate that brings a ton of energy to a team on and off the floor. He strongly values relationships with his coaches / teammates.

Like all visits, Im sure it went well. I dont have additional information on that regarding his visit to Pitt.

This is what he said beforehand on what he is looking for in a school / program.

“I want to have a good relationship with the coach because then everything will come easier for me. I want my coach to trust how I play, believe in me, and know what I can do. That’s all I want.”

So the actual relationship with Capel / assistant coaches is going to be a huge factor in his actual decision. I have not watched a lot of tape on him. But from his interviews, he seems to be an outstanding teammate that brings a ton of energy to a team on and off the floor. He strongly values relationships with his coaches / teammates.

Saw him Friday, at the open practice, he was sitting next to Kante with what appeared to be his mother observing Pitt’s practice. Jeff went over and talked to them briefly during practice. Definitely tall, long and thin.

Ndiaye talks Pitt visit and relationships.

Last edited:
Reactions: pittfan57
It sounds as if he's going to start to interest a lot of people. Pitt got in early, and he loves the coaches and team chemistry. We might have a chance.

He certainly sounds like someone I would like to have on the team.

Reactions: jctrack
Is he a take in the early period?

I've answered this question in regard to almost all of our commits except the twins because of the little tape and summer play from the twins available. There isn't enough tape for me to make this conclusion regarding Ndiaye, but the raw potential is there, the motor and attitude is there, and the defense appears to be there from what I have seen. Offense looks raw and he is old for his class but again, there is little tape to go by and I have zero summer stats on him. He shot 3's last year in high school on one of the best high school teams in the country at 35% playing a loaded schedule. His upside potential is quite high because of his athletic ability and foot speed.

He's playing on one of the best high school teams in the entire country this year at Putnam. They are loaded with talent and Ndiaye will be going up against 2 additional top 50 national 4 star players in the frontcourt on his own team on top of a D1 7 footer. They have probably the best high school frontcourt in all of high school basketball. We'll see how big of an impact he makes this year.

Rumor has it his commitment announcement may be coming soon. And we look to be in good shape here.

The staff really likes him. But we recruited high flying athletes like Anthony Walker and Noah Collier in the past and both were busts. At this stage, I do think Ndiaye is better than both of those players by a decent margin at the high school level since the former 2 were extremely raw on offense at the same stage. I never wanted Walker in a Pitt uniform.

With the position we are in currently and with how well Capel has done with portal players, to put the press on Ndiaye now and not go after a better portal player explains what Capel thinks he "could" become. There is also the chance he could have a strong senior season and he could have a lot more suitors in the spring.

Reactions: pittfan57
I've answered this question in regard to almost all of our commits except the twins because of the little tape and summer play from the twins available. There isn't enough tape for me to make this conclusion regarding Ndiaye, but the raw potential is there, the motor and attitude is there, and the defense appears to be there from what I have seen. Offense looks raw and he is old for his class but again, there is little tape to go by and I have zero summer stats on him. He shot 3's last year in high school on one of the best high school teams in the country at 35% playing a loaded schedule. His upside potential is quite high because of his athletic ability and foot speed.

He's playing on one of the best high school teams in the entire country this year at Putnam. They are loaded with talent and Ndiaye will be going up against 2 additional top 50 national 4 star players in the frontcourt on his own team on top of a D1 7 footer. They have probably the best high school frontcourt in all of high school basketball. We'll see how big of an impact he makes this year.

Rumor has it his commitment announcement may be coming soon. And we look to be in good shape here.

The staff really likes him. But we recruited high flying athletes like Anthony Walker and Noah Collier in the past and both were busts. At this stage, I do think Ndiaye is better than both of those players by a decent margin at the high school level since the former 2 were extremely raw on offense at the same stage. I never wanted Walker in a Pitt uniform.

With the position we are in currently and with how well Capel has done with portal players, to put the press on Ndiaye now and not go after a better portal player explains what Capel thinks he "could" become. There is also the chance he could have a strong senior season and he could have a lot more suitors in the spring.

And the Ndiaye recruitment announcement is coming at 1:00PM today. The rumor from yesterday that I got was true that a decision was made.

And the Ndiaye recruitment announcement is coming at 1:00PM today. The rumor from yesterday that I got was true that a decision was made.

Not sure I agree with taking developmental players like Barnes and Ndiaye. Kids like this should be going mid-major and transferring up, not sitting the bench for a few years and transferring down.

Not sure I agree with taking developmental players like Barnes and Ndiaye. Kids like this should be going mid-major and transferring up, not sitting the bench for a few years and transferring down.
Capel has been pretty fire lately in terms of talent evaluation. I wouldn't be surprised if this kid continues to blow up and isn't just a developmental guy.

6’11 kids who can shoot, with his handle for his size, aren’t going down to start. We just got on him early. Providence and Rutgers were getting involved. He’s absolutely a take. He’s already a 4star on ESPN and has real potential to blow up. His tape is really, really good.

Capel has been pretty fire lately in terms of talent evaluation. I wouldn't be surprised if this kid continues to blow up and isn't just a developmental guy.

Yes, he has been on a roll so I'm not really going to knock it. Carrington and Lowe were Top 100ish so that's more of winning competitive battles than talent evaluation but he deserves credit.

Everything Capel has done from March 2022 on has been right. He's been like 20 for 20 so you gotta trust him. Cant wait for Year 2 of Capel 2.

Yes, he has been on a roll so I'm not really going to knock it. Carrington and Lowe were Top 100ish so that's more of winning competitive battles than talent evaluation but he deserves credit.

Everything Capel has done from March 2022 on has been right. He's been like 20 for 20 so you gotta trust him. Cant wait for Year 2 of Capel 2.

Well, when it comes to Power Forwards, this is what Capel has done here.

Toney
Champagnie
Gueye
Hinson

To date, power forward is the most trustworthy position Capel has shown when it comes to talent evaluation as that 4some above is loaded year by year. And I would say all 4 of those guys above far exceeded expectations with their time at Pitt with maybe the exception to Toney who still played in the Elite 8.

That should be a selling point to any power forward in the future including Niko Bundalo. Showing potential recruits that 3 star players are getting turned into guys that are associated with the NBA is a great selling point.

Other positions on the roster have not been anywhere near this fortunate in Capel's time year. Im still waiting for someone that looks like a killer on the wing (with all due respect to Austin who has not played a game yet)

6’11 kids who can shoot, with his handle for his size, aren’t going down to start. We just got on him early. Providence and Rutgers were getting involved. He’s absolutely a take. He’s already a 4star on ESPN and has real potential to blow up. His tape is really, really good.
Yeah , this kid doesn’t seem like a ‘developmental’ big . I’m really happy about this pick up .

Other positions on the roster have not been anywhere near this fortunate in Capel's time year. Im still waiting for someone that looks like a killer on the wing (with all due respect to Austin who has not played a game yet)
Don’t worry. That is coming in era Capel III. I’m stoked for this season and next.

Capel 2: Electric Boogaloo

Capel 2: Joan Gabel Strikes Back

Cue that movie guy voice:

"After years in the college basketball wildnerness, Coach Jeff Capel resurrected a dying program, giving fans something to be excited about. The program looked to be on the rise but its biggest threat came from the inside. This winter, Joan Gabel Strikes Back!

Reactions: cruzer
Can’t quite proclaim it Capel 2 yet, but if anyone has cashed in on the new portal world, it’s Jeff. Capel 1 should have been fired. The big question is can Capel 2 equal Dixon 2?

Amdy Ndiaye with 2 nice performances in the National Prep Showcase this week which is a pretty large scale event with many people watching at the high school level. He was close to a double double both games and only played about 13 minutes per game in each contest against good competition.

Putnam Science remains undefeated for the year and have blown out most teams they played. Amdy has been coming off the bench for them. Putnam is stacked with talent, so it should not greatly concern anyone that he is coming off the bench for this team.

Full box scores below

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F_JwZgWWsAAT9w6?format=jpg&name=small

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F_Pl4uZXgAAIBJP?format=jpg&name=900x900

Reactions: Jim Z and joeydavid
Amdy Ndiaye with 2 nice performances in the National Prep Showcase this week which is a pretty large scale event with many people watching at the high school level. He was close to a double double both games and only played about 13 minutes per game in each contest against good competition.

Putnam Science remains undefeated for the year and have blown out most teams they played. Amdy has been coming off the bench for them. Putnam is stacked with talent, so it should not greatly concern anyone that he is coming off the bench for this team.

Full box scores below

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F_JwZgWWsAAT9w6?format=jpg&name=small

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F_Pl4uZXgAAIBJP?format=jpg&name=900x900

Last 4 games for Ndiaye

19 points, 16 rebounds vs Spire

10 points, 13 rebounds vs Ridley

23 points, 11 rebounds vs Redemption

8 points, 7 rebounds vs Bradford

Good performances here, especially for playing on a loaded Prep team against some decent competition above. I would like to see Pitt get involved with Ben Ahmed which is Ndiaye's teammate, Putnam's starting center who is a fringe top 40-50 national recruit in 2025 as a center.

Top 3 2025 targets are still Thomas, Dixon, and Bundalo.

Last 4 games for Ndiaye

19 points, 16 rebounds vs Spire

10 points, 13 rebounds vs Ridley

23 points, 11 rebounds vs Redemption

8 points, 7 rebounds vs Bradford

Good performances here, especially for playing on a loaded Prep team against some decent competition above. I would like to see Pitt get involved with Ben Ahmed which is Ndiaye's teammate, Putnam's starting center who is a fringe top 40-50 national recruit in 2025 as a center.

Top 3 2025 targets are still Thomas, Dixon, and Bundalo.
Like to see a big body for the paint too

I was able to watch Amdy today against Western Reserve Academy (Royce Parham, Nikola Bundalo, Damarius Owens).

We are really lucky to get a player like Amdy Ndiaye. He finished with 12 points, 7 rebounds, and a handful of blocks and steals. Early on in his career, we can bank on him being a versatile defender, extremely active on both sides of the ball rebounding and sprinting the floor, filling lanes. His offense is a work in progress, but he is much further along than I expected. He has a decent handle and can attack off the bounce and plays his best in semi-transition. He will need 15-20 pounds of muscle but he certainly has a high ceiling as well as a rather high floor.

Royce Parham (Marquette) has gotten a LOT better. Again, not nearly the ceiling that Ndiaye, Bundalo, or Owens have, but he has ultimately converted from an undersized 5 to a legit 4-man. He hit 3 or 4 threes and is putting the ball on the floor and attacking with much more consistency. Extremely good hands and solid footwork, should be an all-league guy at some point for Marquette.

Bundalo finished with 17 and 9, albeit battling some foul trouble. Extremely fluid with plus length and a nice skill set to boot. Needs 20 pounds of muscle but if a serious inside-out threat. Was impressed by his ability to battle the stronger front court of Putnam science.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT