ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt vs GT Baseball - 7PM ACCN

This team does not quit. Beats the #7 team in the nation with 5 runs coming on dropped fly balls. They gave Washington a triple but the announcer said the CF misplayed it. Couldn’t see well enough in the little screen to tell.

19 hits!

Let's hope that some common sense wins out and by the time the baseball team is in Pittsburgh playing ACC games that at least some non-family fans will be allowed in the stands.

Just thinking that. Usually go to 3 or 4 games a season. Would love to make some this year after missing out on last year. Especially with this team.

I like how Coach Bell has his guys playing their butts off.

Case in point: Pitt has the bases loaded, 2 outs, down 5-0. Routine flyball to left field. Left fielder misplays the ball and drops right next to him. Pitt’s runner on first sprints around the bases, even though everyone thought the inning is about to end, and scores easily to make the score 5-3. Pitt is back in the ballgame...

Even the TV analyst commented on how impressed he was with that hustle play.

This team makes it very easy to root for them
H2P!

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
It's a great way to spend a sunny Saturday or Sunday afternoon.

My wife and kids love it too. Get something to eat. Spend the afternoon there. And it is especially fun when softball has a game at the same time. We've gone to a few softball games to. We just enjoy it.

Raise the jolly panther! I turned it off down 4-0 to read and fall asleep. Didn't imagine I'd find we won the thing. Wow! Great determination.

Reactions: Ronnyp91
What’s crazy too is that Indiana State, who Pitt took 2 of 3 from to open the year, just won its series @ #20 Florida Atlantic, and just split a series 2-2 with #16 Tennessee.

And Jacksonville, who Pitt beat in a single game, just beat #5 Florida last night.

The ACC is a meat grinder, but even Pitt’s OOC schedule that they’ve played so far is really strong and will be an asset when competing for a regional bid. Plus a two game swing against West Virginia down the line.

Anyone know status of Corcoran?

I know Smith was the closer last season. I know Smith got a couple of big outs for us this season.

I don’t like Smith’s stuff or style. I think he can be used in small doses because of his style, but should not be used for more than an inning.

I would have thought Sawyer would be used more and more effective.

Last edited:
What’s crazy too is that Indiana State, who Pitt took 2 of 3 from to open the year, just won its series @ #20 Florida Atlantic, and just split a series 2-2 with #16 Tennessee.

And Jacksonville, who Pitt beat in a single game, just beat #5 Florida last night.

It's way too early for RPI to mean anything, but for whatever reason the NCAA still uses it for baseball. After yesterday's games, Indiana State's RPI is 6.

Jacksonville lost their first eight games (and only one of them was within three runs), but has now won four in a row with that win over Florida.

Pitt's RPI is currently 8.

He seemed to misjudge it a little, but the ball hit right off his glove.

I don't think tonight's official scorer knows what an error is.

BTW, I was looking at the box score this morning and either the game announcers got it wrong or they went back and changed it later, but in the end the Washington hit that the Georgia Tech outfielder dropped was scored an error and not a triple. Which was obviously the correct call.

Reactions: bwh05 and gary2

I know Smith was the closer last season. I know Smith got a couple of big outs got us this season.

I don’t like Smith’s stuff or style. I think he can be used in small doses because of his style, but should not be used for more than an inning.

Corcoran will be back fairly soon.

I know Smith was the closer last season. I know Smith got a couple of big outs got us this season.

I had this message half-typed earlier. Good info by bwh...They’ve been announcing the Sunday starter for the past few weeks, including for tomorrow’s game, as “TBD,” so I would think it’s probably a week-to-week sort of thing for Corcoran. It’d be huge to get him back and move Hanson back to a long relief sort of role.

It looks like they’re using McCrum, the Monmouth transfer, as the high leverage reliever. I know that’s the popular thing in baseball right now, to have a guy who’s comfortable preserving a lead in the ninth or coming in with runners in scoring position in the sixth. Smith has pitched a lot of good innings for them over the last few seasons, and it’s been great to see them have a few guys with that sort of experience out of the bullpen - that’s been a huge issue for this program for a few years now. But it seems like McCrum is definitely the guy they trust more when the game is really on the line.

Reactions: gary2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT