ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt vs Kansas

I’m still getting the “event about to start” bumper on ESPN+. Anyone aware of some kind of hold up at the Fieldhouse?

Wow! Purdue coming from 10-14 down in the fifth fights off FIVE match points and wins 18-16. Hopefully they’ve exhausted themselves and run out of luck and magic because that’s the kind of win that could get a team rolling.

• Wow
Reactions: persp and jctrack
Pitt sleepwalking. Not one point on service so far. Kansas blocking everything. Well scouted — they have two blockers on whoever the hitter is.

8-3 Kansas.

Wow! Purdue coming from 10-14 down in the fifth fights off FIVE match points and wins 18-16. Hopefully they’ve exhausted themselves and run out of luck and magic because that’s the kind of win that could get a team rolling.
That serving run from Purdue when they were down 10-14 was insane.

Pitt had a nice run there with Kayla serving to win S1. Fairbanks is playing over Kylee now? (Didnt catch the first 2 tourney games)

Lund won 9 straight points on that serving. Pitt wins 1st set 25-19. Other difference was Fairbanks quick sets not giving Kansas time to set up blocks. I would like to see how many points we got when she set versus Akeo. To me, Akeo’s sets are telegraphed and too high.

After the Lund run, it went back and forth on points, but that was all Pitt needed.

I was bummed Purdue won. Think they are a much tougher opponent if we get there. Two terrific servers, one of whom has Big 10 record for aces. They also lead Big 10 in blocks. Our two bugaboos and they are strong in both.

Reactions: Chaos
Lexis is strong when the attack runs through the middle, but Levers/Fairbanks are far more lethal when our attacks move outside.

Not sure why that is.

Lexis is strong when the attack runs through the middle, but Levers/Fairbanks are far more lethal when our attacks move outside.

Not sure why that is.

I think she has a tendency to set too high. That gives the defense more time to setup a block. I also don’t think her sets are consistent. You see too many basically free points where the striker has to adjust and doesn’t get a great swing on the ball because the set is off.

Reactions: Chaos
I think she has a tendency to set too high. That gives the defense more time to setup a block. I also don’t think her sets are consistent. You see too many basically free points where the striker has to adjust and doesn’t get a great swing on the ball because the set is off.
I don't want to sound to critical, but some of those too-high sets (and questionable passes that lead to too high sets) can be mitigated by having super athletic hitters that can tool a block just due to superior athleticism. Member is a good athlete, but obviously her height is a bit of a restriction. Lund and Ndee are both fantastic, but taking at questionable set and making it work aren't their strengths.

Reactions: mike412
If I were a betting man, I would like Purdue’s chances. Mentally, they have to be on a high after that comeback.

They are the Big Ten leader in blocks by a significant number, and Kansas showed how a good blocking team can hurt us. And, they have two really good servers. I believe one has the Big Ten record for most career aces. She had the 4 point run to bring them back in Set 5 today and in set 4 she had runs of 4 points and then 5 points on serve. I didn’t see the first three sets.

Lund is our best server, and she has been pretty consistent. Her 9 point run saved us in the first set. Member-Mensah, Gray and Vasquez-Gomez can get streaky good but none are consistent. Fisher has searched all year to get a consistent server coming off the bench. He seems to have settled on Vasquez-Gomez.

Plus, what is disconcerting about this team is that they have “walk-abouts” in every match, where they just lose focus. I thought that maybe in the big matches they would be able to focus for the entire match. But in the second GT match, the second Louisville match, the PSU match and today, it happened. Fisher took TOs today twice after it happened and really seemed to get on them about it. That can’t happen against Purdue.

The biggest thing we have in our favor is front court depth. I don’t think anyone goes as deep with good hitters as we do. But, we don’t have great size in the front court and that makes us more susceptible to the block.

Totally missed this. Anyone know if it will be replayed on ESPN+?

Great win. H2P!!!!!

Onto the Elite 8. Purdue is going to be a tough matchup. But you get this far, they all are going to be tough.

Reactions: jctrack
If I were a betting man, I would like Purdue’s chances. Mentally, they have to be on a high after that comeback.

They are the Big Ten leader in blocks by a significant number, and Kansas showed how a good blocking team can hurt us. And, they have two really good servers. I believe one has the Big Ten record for most career aces. She had the 4 point run to bring them back in Set 5 today and in set 4 she had runs of 4 points and then 5 points on serve. I didn’t see the first three sets.

Lund is our best server, and she has been pretty consistent. Her 9 point run saved us in the first set. Member-Mensah, Gray and Vasquez-Gomez can get streaky good but none are consistent. Fisher has searched all year to get a consistent server coming off the bench. He seems to have settled on Vasquez-Gomez.

Plus, what is disconcerting about this team is that they have “walk-abouts” in every match, where they just lose focus. I thought that maybe in the big matches they would be able to focus for the entire match. But in the second GT match, the second Louisville match, the PSU match and today, it happened. Fisher took TOs today twice after it happened and really seemed to get on them about it. That can’t happen against Purdue.

The biggest thing we have in our favor is front court depth. I don’t think anyone goes as deep with good hitters as we do. But, we don’t have great size in the front court and that makes us more susceptible to the block.
I think Pitt has been sort of toying with teams a lot this year. They look every part to me of an elite team. The game is at home, this team got so close last year - I think they roll tomorrow. They didn’t even play particularly well today and straight set beat one of the hottest teams in the country.

pitt in 4 sets.

Oh I don't know. Perhaps Purdue is now just happy being in the regional final? I don't know how this game will go but I like the steady mentality of the Pitt team. The mental framework of playing like you are an underdog with a chip on your shoulder is a really healthy mindset entering a game. And the game will be at home and I expect the house to be packed.
Besides Member-Meneh, this team doesn't have elite atheleticism but they have remarkable depth and most of the players on the court are really well rounded. Each game is seems a new player steps up and plays the roll of game changer. Against Penn State it was Lund and against Kansas, Ndee. I am looking forward to it.

I watched Purdue a few times on the Big 10 network, and based on their talent level, there is a 0% chance they will just show up and be happy to be there. They beat Wisconsin twice and also beat Minnesota. That is a big team, and their libero is very good.

I like Pitt’s chances, but it will be a test.

I watched Purdue a few times on the Big 10 network, and based on their talent level, there is a 0% chance they will just show up and be happy to be there. They beat Wisconsin twice and also beat Minnesota. That is a big team, and their libero is very good.

I was just about to say the same thing. I have also watched Purdue several times this season. They are an experienced team, led ny 2 time All-American Grace Cleveland, who has played in and won several highly competitive matches.

Their size is also a big concern.

Pitt will have to play a clean game and pass well to beat Purdue.

sigh,

I was being sarcastic by suggesting they would be happy showing up. Yes.....it will be a fight. But to suggest that betting money is on Purdue is excessive, at the very least. This team plays loose.

Good thing you’re not a betting man!

Reactions: ThePanthers
I think Pitt has been sort of toying with teams a lot this year. They look every part to me of an elite team. The game is at home, this team got so close last year - I think they roll tomorrow. They didn’t even play particularly well today and straight set beat one of the hottest teams in the country.

pitt in 4 sets.
Since I’m in the prediction game, I think Pitt wins the whole thing this year.

Reactions: Pitt MD
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT