ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt vs PSU recruiting

GT74

All Conference
Gold Member
Jul 20, 2001
New Castle
Usually the Nits are highly ranked in the recruiting standings. This year even James Franklin uttered earlier that he was disappointed in their recruiting and had to do better. He said he will continue recruiting some positions till Feb. The Lions had 15 recruits and are ranked 28th. On the other hand, it seems most are pleased with Pitt's class. for 23 recruits, they are ranked 21st. It's not the norm, but it looks like Pitt outrecruited PSU. It also pans out locally as the Panthers cleaned house in the WPIAL. Kudos to Pitt and the staff for a satisfying recruiting class. Another thing worth mentioning is that the PSU fans have clamored in the past that Narduzzi and staff recruited 'negatively'. And, of course, in their eyes, PSU would never do such a thing (lol). Well the video of the locals with Chris pissed on that concept. The recruits dissed the Nittany Lions for 'trashing' Pitt to them. Thankfully, as they said, it went in one ear and out the other. They became Panthers. In recruiting, there is love and war, and most coaches leave no stone unturned. But, considering how Pitt's players have been classy and courteous, the coaches are doing a good job of recruiting 'character' as well as talent into the program. Now let's hope it translates into more wins.

Terry Smith and Frankie boy deserve each other as well wade!!!

I hate how the rankings take into account the number of recruits you sign. Obviously if you have 20 spots to fill, and you only get 15, that's a problem. But if you have 20 and fill with 20 3-stars, why should you be ranked ahead of a class with 15 4-stars?

I know Im oversimplifying, and stars aren't the only thing that matters, but I tend to put a little bit more stock in the average star rating of a class than the "points" attributed to each team.

Don't get me wrong, Im happy with Pitt's class. But Pitt has been on the other side of that coin too, and I find it frustrating.

Pitt did a good job in their backyard. When you have some of the top recruits in the state that are local and you get them, that's a plus. I know you can't sustain a team with local only talent, but it helps to get some of the best local talent. Not only did they get them, but they play positions that Pitt knows how to coach up.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Yeah. Psu had a smaller class. They did well with their 15.

I dont even think average stars work. I think you need to get and average pt per recruit. Not all 3 stars and 4 stars are the same. I'd rather have a class of 20 3 stars that are 5.7 than a class of 19 3 stars that are 5.5 and 1 4 star that is a 5.8.

Lamont Wade is an interesting tale. A Can't Miss "Five Star" who missed. It seems like Pitt is held accountable for every local that doesn't pan out, will Penn State also be held to the same?

Reactions: pierre93
Lamont Wade is an interesting tale. A Can't Miss "Five Star" who missed. It seems like Pitt is held accountable for every local that doesn't pan out, will Penn State also be held to the same?
They never are held accountable and the local media protects them. I remember listening on the radio about how Shai McKenzie chose VT over us and they were all over us about that. Smh same old story

Average rank of 2021 recruits according to 247:
PSU 89.93
Wvu 87.19
Pitt. 86.52
Even in a terrible year Franklin beat us both.

PSU 89.93
Wvu 87.19
Pitt. 86.52
Does not matter as 'Milkdud is going to Mikdud' with his Game Day Coaching 1-2 times per year to cost his Team a win, no matter how much talent he has(which is still behind tOSU, and they took the Best Player from PA last year away from The CULT in Creepy Valley and now tOSU landed the #1 Recruit in the Country again for the incoming class).

Last edited:
I will repeat myself. If the QB you bring in becomes a playmaker, the whole class gets elevated.

If that QB cant get on the field, the whole class gets diminished.

Regardless of stars.

PSU 89.93
Wvu 87.19
Pitt. 86.52

247 has a PSU fanboy evaluating players. Got that from my friend who works for 247 and would know.

Remember when Pitt fan Bob Lichtenfels did evals for Scout back in the Wanny days? Same thing today at 247 but it's PSU favored this time.

Got this on a text "Brian Dohn is so pro-PSU it’s disgusting."

• Wow
Reactions: HailToPitt725
Remember when Elliott Donald's ranking on 247 dropped in the off-season and he didn't do anything except that PSN revealed a photo of Donald holding the football showing he secretly committed to Pitt?

Do the math

Happy Holidays to you and your family 93.
[/QUOTE]
Thx and to u and your as well. Tell George we said hi and Go Maples!

Happy Holidays to you and your family 93.
[/QUOTE]
I will and the Maples are on a major down cycle in basketball (really bad) but on the upswing in Baseball and football.

Reactions: pierre93
I will and the Maples are on a major down cycle in basketball (really bad) but on the upswing in Baseball and football.
[/QUOTE]
I remember Flynn, Sterbenovich, and Pincovich being good hoop players there in the late 80's. Bochna was a year or 2 younger but all good dudes.

Last edited:
Usually the Nits are highly ranked in the recruiting standings. This year even James Franklin uttered earlier that he was disappointed in their recruiting and had to do better. He said he will continue recruiting some positions till Feb. The Lions had 15 recruits and are ranked 28th. On the other hand, it seems most are pleased with Pitt's class. for 23 recruits, they are ranked 21st. It's not the norm, but it looks like Pitt outrecruited PSU. It also pans out locally as the Panthers cleaned house in the WPIAL. Kudos to Pitt and the staff for a satisfying recruiting class. Another thing worth mentioning is that the PSU fans have clamored in the past that Narduzzi and staff recruited 'negatively'. And, of course, in their eyes, PSU would never do such a thing (lol). Well the video of the locals with Chris pissed on that concept. The recruits dissed the Nittany Lions for 'trashing' Pitt to them. Thankfully, as they said, it went in one ear and out the other. They became Panthers. In recruiting, there is love and war, and most coaches leave no stone unturned. But, considering how Pitt's players have been classy and courteous, the coaches are doing a good job of recruiting 'character' as well as talent into the program. Now let's hope it translates into more wins.
Any ranking at this point is incomplete, since this was only the early signing period. Schools will be adding recruits in February, and rankings will change. And speaking of rankings, I saw a few minutes of the ACC network recruiting show before the Pitt-Miami game last night. They listed the top 7 ACC classes, and Pitt was not among them. I believe they were using ESPN’s ranking system.

Any ranking at this point is incomplete, since this was only the early signing period. Schools will be adding recruits in February, and rankings will change. And speaking of rankings, I saw a few minutes of the ACC network recruiting show before the Pitt-Miami game last night. They listed the top 7 ACC classes, and Pitt was not among them. I believe they were using ESPN’s ranking system.

Here is the link to ESPN rankings....

If you lose to Ohio State 80% of the time eventually you take your eyes off the other guys. PSU is fixated on Ohio State and it has cost them dearly.

I remember Flynn, Sterbenovich, and Pincovich being good hoop players there in the late 80's. Bochna was a year or 2 younger but all good dudes.
[/QUOTE]
You mentioned some very good athletes from the 80s.Srbo is one of the top five 3 sport athletes ever.Flynn AA football at Cal U and Pinc sign with the Dodgers after pitchinges at Cal U.Throw in Bochna with his All Big 10 honors in Football and Baseball and you can see why the Maples were pretty good in the late 80s.No wonder George won a few games!

Here is the link to ESPN rankings....

Thanks. Pitt is #8 in the ACC, right behind Louisville, NC State, and UVA, just ahead of GA Tech. Those 5 are well behind Clemson, Miami, FSU and UNC. How Pitt stacks up vs ACC rivals would seem to be more important than a national ranking, since those are the teams Pitt is competing with on a week to week basis.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Thanks. Pitt is #8 in the ACC, right behind Louisville, NC State, and UVA, just ahead of GA Tech. Those 5 are well behind Clemson, Miami, FSU and UNC. How Pitt stacks up vs ACC rivals would seem to be more important than a national ranking, since those are the teams Pitt is competing with on a week to week basis.
I just looked at 247 and they have Pitt at 27.

Until any of these guys get to college and actually start playing in games how do you know which of them are rated "correctly" and which aren't?
Based on many saying he is best commit in this class, and having Clemson and others having a late push on him

Based on many saying he is best commit in this class, and having Clemson and others having a late push on him

So in other words, you have no idea.

We will all find out where these guys would have been "correctly" rated after they are here and are playing football. Until then it is all opinion. There is no "correct" answer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT