ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt's Pro Day is Tomorrow

You see more than one or two. There is a long list of "non-physical freaks" that have dominated in the NFL.

In the past 10 years, show me the long list of DOMINANT players who were small, slow, and weak.

You might find some dominant players who were small weren't quick, strong, fast (James Harrison)

You might find a guy who is a tad slow but isn't weak or lightning quick - (Welker/Edleman)

You might find a guy who is "weak" per se but not fast/quick - (Chad Johnson/Mike Wallace)

Paris Ford had a TERRIBLE combine. Like the kind of workout where agents are fired. Like the kind of workout used as an example as why you don't show up to workout.. He had extremely average game film. Most of the major draft analysts (non-bloggers/fan sites) had him probably not being drafted prior to the workout. He not only showed that he is very undersized but he's not just extremely slow, but can't change directions, and physically weak.

In the past 10 years, show me the long list of DOMINANT players who were small, slow, and weak.

You might find some dominant players who were small weren't quick, strong, fast (James Harrison)

You might find a guy who is a tad slow but isn't weak or lightning quick - (Welker/Edleman)

You might find a guy who is "weak" per se but not fast/quick - (Chad Johnson/Mike Wallace)

Paris Ford had a TERRIBLE combine. Like the kind of workout where agents are fired. Like the kind of workout used as an example as why you don't show up to workout.. He had extremely average game film. Most of the major draft analysts (non-bloggers/fan sites) had him probably not being drafted prior to the workout. He not only showed that he is very undersized but he's not just extremely slow, but can't change directions, and physically weak.

You said "non physical freaks" - there were examples of such. Now your changing the narrative by putting in the - small, slow and weak descriptors. And then you contradict yourself by listing the players who you said basically couldn't compete.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
You said "non physical freaks" - there were examples of such. Now your changing the narrative by putting in the - small, slow and weak descriptors. And then you contradict yourself by listing the players who you said basically couldn't compete.

Name me the long list of "non-physical" freaks of DOMINATED the NFL over the past 10 years...

Is it a coincidence great player excel?
Nah
People who crush workouts but can’t play don’t make it

Not my point.

The point is the overwhelming majority of the NFL are littered with physical freaks and the majority of them test well.

The league is littered with guys who might not test well in on event but are at the top of the tier in the majority of others.

But, to your point. There are many more guys who are good to great college players who just don't have the measurables to play in the league. It's why we don't see many D3 and D2 players in the NFL.

The majority of the league are guys who were good players in college with phenomenal physical attributes. Very rarely do you see guys who good players in college with poor measurables in more than 2-3 things survive in the league.

The reality is the guy with elite measurables and average play with get a shot way faster than the guy with good tape and average measurables.

A point on testing...

Comparing combine/workout #'s from today's athletes to ones in the 70's through 2010 is almost an apples and oranges comparison.

Players from that era had nowhere near the resources/knowledge of combine prep that today's players do.

A point on testing...

Comparing combine/workout #'s from today's athletes to ones in the 70's through 2010 is almost an apples and oranges comparison.

Players from that era had nowhere near the resources/knowledge of combine prep that today's players do.

The combine/testing numbers don’t matter seems to be another version of the stars don’t matter arguments.

One can certainly cherry pick guys with bad workouts that became great players, or guys that flamed out with great measurables. However overall the guys with the great numbers much more often than not go on to have more successful careers than the guys that didn’t.

Not my point.

The point is the overwhelming majority of the NFL are littered with physical freaks and the majority of them test well.

The league is littered with guys who might not test well in on event but are at the top of the tier in the majority of others.

But, to your point. There are many more guys who are good to great college players who just don't have the measurables to play in the league. It's why we don't see many D3 and D2 players in the NFL.

The majority of the league are guys who were good players in college with phenomenal physical attributes. Very rarely do you see guys who good players in college with poor measurables in more than 2-3 things survive in the league.

The reality is the guy with elite measurables and average play with get a shot way faster than the guy with good tape and average measurables.
Your point is to blabber on

I assume you are talking about Ford ... I actually think the poor vertical jump is just as surprising as the bad 40 time. You would think someone with his kind of explosion for those hits would have a better vertical. Back in my day (which is now a long time ago), a 30" vertical was considered the sign of someone with decent explosion and athleticism. Decent, nothing amazing. But Ford didn't even jump that.

But he always looked so great on the sidelines doing the turnover dunk?!

Ford should have pretended he was hurt. His 40, SS, and vertical were pretty bad for a DB. He didn't bench, which is no surprise. I'm not sure he's ever really been in shape, and it looks like he did absolutely nothing to prepare for the pro day.

There's some ability there, but there doesn't seem to be any desire to prepare or improve. That just won't cut it at the next level. He'll be lucky to be a late round pick.

Ford should have pretended he was hurt. His 40, SS, and vertical were pretty bad for a DB. He didn't bench, which is no surprise. I'm not sure he's ever really been in shape, and it looks like he did absolutely nothing to prepare for the pro day.

There's some ability there, but there doesn't seem to be any desire to prepare or improve. That just won't cut it at the next level. He'll be lucky to be a late round pick.
Did you hear his Pro Day interview?

He was talking about being the first in his family to be able to have the chance to create, “Generational wealth”. WTF? Somebody got into his head and convinced him that he is entitled to a NFL job.

He was talking about being the first in his family to be able to have the chance to create, “Generational wealth”. WTF? Somebody got into his head and convinced him that he is entitled to a NFL job.

No I didn't hear it, but you're probably right. Is he at least getting a degree, or did he piss that away too?

Not trying to pick on him. But you guys are talking about a kid that got kicked out of 2 different High Schools. One of those schools is desperate to get and keep every kid it possibly can due to declining enrollment, yet they couldn't tolerate him any longer. Ok young and dumb, some times it takes time to mature.

So how did he follow that up? He struggled to become academically eligible. He struggled to learn the playbook.

How did he mature once he finally made it to the field? Yes he made a lot of nice plays, but he also played highly undisciplined. He got ejected multiple times for exactly the same reason, never learning from past mistakes. Then he QUIT on his team midseason, not sit out of bowl game, but quit midseason. Finally, from the sounds of it, he didn't even train for the biggest opportunity of his life.

Guys like this get left out UNLESS THEY ARE TRUE FREAKS. His numbers are not freak level.

I doubt preferred walk-on checks to an NFL camp qualify as generational wealth.

That is disappointing for him because he’s fun to watch and he has the ability to be successful if he really wanted.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT